Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: GPS software question  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
GPS software question
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:59:31 PM »
So my girlfriend bought me a new toy for my birthday, a new GPS unit.  It's actually a unit that's designed for my photography, the idea is that it can be sync'd with the in-camera clock and then the coordinates are embedded into the corresponding digital file, allowing me to keep precise track of where each photo is taken.   However, the data logger can also be used for virutally any other GPS-related application.  It can log coordinates for up to 250K time-points, so it's definately more than enough for me to use to track my movements while cycling.  So basically my question is this... For those of you that use GPS, are there any software applications that are useful for graphically displaying the GPS data?  Specifically, I'd like to be able take a recording every second, then use software that will calculate my speed at that given timepoint and display it on a graph.  Is something like this available? 
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 09:11:42 AM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: GPS software question
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:41:14 AM »
Jersh,
Your GPS unit probably came with software that should give you all the mininum functions that you will ever need.  Since your main use may be for photography, your software may be geared for that.  But can still offer other functions.

You can use any software you want on your PC but first line up what you want to do.  I use one that has a way to track where I been, speed, elevation, speed avg, cadance, and other things.  But the main thing I look for is one that can I create a course on my pc and download to my gps so I can follow when I start riding.  Preferly one that can tell me how far I have left to go and where I am at in that course.

A lot of the roadie events allow you to download a course with track points.  you can then use the track points to navigate when you are riding.  Not a favorite on the MTB world but still great to create course and follow to not get lost.

Outside of my GPS unit and GPS PC software, I use motionbased and AllSportGPS.  They allow me to track all my biking related items including courses. 

Check out GoogleEarth.  It has a way to download user pictures based on gps coordinates.  I have a few of my own outthere as userid MAGUIRRE2222.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 08:44:37 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
i use motionbased

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 06:28:35 PM »