Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Started from SHOUT  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Started from SHOUT
« on: September 27, 2007, 07:38:12 PM »
Garry: This would be a good place to start a "Teen Mountain Biking Group."

[Today at 10:04:54 AM] FACTORe: i think it is the responsablility of all of us in the club to do things to make mtbing more appealing to younger riders

[Today at 10:05:27 AM] FACTORe: many of us have suggested before things like free ride areas and jump parks

[Today at 12:32:57 PM] RiskEverything: We could probably get some local radio DJs to pimp the club for us. Just take them out on a weekend ride...

Perhaps SWAMP is spread a little thin with 4 trail systems and over 125 miles of trails to maintain to then have the time and people to add a free ride area and pump track.  Santos has this, but they just have the one trail system to maintain.  Yes, mountain biking is growing and evolving from XC to downhill, to technical, and racing.  In the last few years free riding is coming on the scene.  If a group of folks want to to approach land managers about building a free ride park, or section, I encourage that - but do some homework first on how to build them and how to gain permission to build them.  I know from experience that persistance and learning how to design and build them pays off.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Started from SHOUT
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:32:39 PM »
how can we get some of the national groups involved like they did in ocala?

also how about in the off season - doing some local races for the locals so that they can get a taste of what it is like to race without all the expenses and traveling of the other series?

i think that would be something that is easier to do in the immediate future rather than building new trail systems etc.

plus it would give the riders that want to go to the other bigger races some practice in race type situations before the real thing.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 08:35:11 PM by FACTORe »

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:43:49 PM »
I know I could use the practice.  Plus a little friendly competition is always fun.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

scooter

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:19:27 PM »
I like the local race idea, count me in too :)

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:23:19 PM »
Garry, no one can match the trail building speed of a dozen teenagers, so if we get other teens involved, then the trails will be maintained. I'm all for both. We really could use a free ride area and pump track, and I've been saying for a while that Boyette really deserves to be show cased for the great trails that it has. It would be awesome to have a race there.

For freeride trails, I can't think of many places in the tampa area that have a good place for drops. How's about a test trail with some bridges, skinnies and jumps. The area is still predominantly XC riders, so lets still have these trails that don't require a new bike to ride.

Count me in where ever it's needed.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 10:25:23 PM »
i can see the meadows being a real proving ground if boyette is on the circuit...what a good place to have to keep the hammer down or get passed. 

have to work out what some good 5-6 (2 laps) or 10-12 lap loops would be fun on our trails.

croom would be a gut check too...it is one thing as a ride..imagine those long climbs in a race situation .....

the possiblilities are endless

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 11:36:04 AM »
I hear a starter's whistle in the future!  That would be some mad fun! ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »