Author Topic: Adopt A Trail  (Read 5442 times)

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Adopt A Trail
« on: September 30, 2007, 02:10:24 PM »
Throwing an idea out there folks - ADOPT A TRAIL. 
Pick a section of trail that you would like to help keep maintained and choose your own day when you would like to do this.  (This can be any of the four trail systems we have.)

Strap some loppers, hedge shears, or hand clippers to your Camelbak and ride/trim your chosen section. 

If a few people pick a different section then it won't seem like such a chore to get in there and get it done.  Also, if you see something, like a downed tree; or bad erosion, let us know and we can get that taken care of.

I know not everyone has a Saturday available to join in on a workday, so if you choose the day to trim your particular section then the workdays would be more geared towards new trail development and heavy duty maintenance.

Just get with the Trail Boss for the park you want to help out with and let them know what you will be doing and the hours you spend.

We're really lucky for the amount of trails that we have available to us - with that comes a bit of responsibility to maintain it.

Thanks for any help any of  you can give.

Garry

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
Re: Adopt A Trail
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 10:03:42 PM »
I like this idea, and if I rode predominantly at one place I would totally adopt a trail.
Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:55:43 AM »
I like this idea, and if I rode predominantly at one place I would totally adopt a trail.

One doesn't have to limit themselves to ONE trail system that they ride.  We all ride different trails.  But, if folks have a day to donate an hour or two to trimming somewhere that works better than a Saturday, and are willing to donate a little time, then pick a section of trail that needs trimming and go for it.  (Remember not to throw the trimmings on the trail; toss them off the trail.)

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 10:18:40 AM »
ADOPT-A-TRAIL

Hi folks, there has been some favorable responses to the proposed Adopt-A-Trail suggestion.  Kind of puts a little pride in ownership of the trails that we have.

How it would work is this:

Contact the Trail Boss for whichever trail system that you want to help out with.
Bob Wilcox - Croom
Ken Orlando/Joe Rutherford - Morris Bridge
Art North - Alafia
Tim Gustafson/Garry Rosseter - Boyette

Let them know when you can trim, where, and how much time spent so we can track what needs to be done and the hours.  The volunteer hours help the land managers.

This will ONLY INVOLVE TRIMMING of the over growth in the trails.  Remember to throw the trail trimmings well off the trail itself.
No altering of trails or other extensive work; we are trying to make that what we focus the scheduled workdays for.  This will free up time to make our trails better and better.

You are not limited to just one trail system or just one section.  One month you may wish to ride and trim Croom, while the next you may wish to ride and trim Morris Bridge, or Boyette, or Alafia.  Whichever one needs the most help.

Since there have been folks who say they cannot make the Saturday workdays - here’s a chance to help out with the trails on a day and time that is convenient to the individual.  Plus, you get to ride your bike too!  Ride a little; trim a little.  It only takes a few hours of your free time.

So, let me know if you would like to help out and we can this started.

Also, the deadline for annual hours recognized is by the FTF, so if you need to make your 20 hours there are only a few workdays left until then.

Thanks!

Garry Rosseter

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 05:17:58 PM »
I will put in for a section. 8)

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 07:38:37 PM »
I will put in for a section. 8)

Cool!  Just pick a trail - check with the Trail Boss for that park on where it needs the most attention either in person, e-mail, or phone - and let him know when, where, and how long you were there and get a little trimming done.  Thanks!!!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »
I will get with artimus. ;D 8)

Offline SubDude

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
I am going to try to go out to Boyette one evening every week for a couple hours after work.  Let me know what areas need concentration and I will start working on those.  I will keep my eyes out as well for areas that need attention.  This sounds like a great idea to help maintain the trails.  BTW, I am new to SWAMP and Florida and am very impressed with the trails around here and the involvement of SWAMP in keeping those trails active.  I look forward to being able to help

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 12:59:20 PM »
Nice idea!  I can help out at Wilderness Park!  Where can I find Ken's e-mail address?

I rode out there this morning...trails are nice and packed...must have stormed in the area, because there were a lot of downed limbs and branches on the trail...I  did clear them out, though.
Rick

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »
Nice idea!  I can help out at Wilderness Park!  Where can I find Ken's e-mail address?

You can reach Ken at ken (at) swampclub (dot) org.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 07:09:09 PM »
I am going to try to go out to Boyette one evening every week for a couple hours after work.  Let me know what areas need concentration and I will start working on those.  I will keep my eyes out as well for areas that need attention.  This sounds like a great idea to help maintain the trails.  BTW, I am new to SWAMP and Florida and am very impressed with the trails around here and the involvement of SWAMP in keeping those trails active.  I look forward to being able to help

Right now it looks like the South West and South East trail need trimming.  Monday we cut 5 trees off a few of the trails, so they should be clear other than some over growth.  Let me know how much time you spend so I can log the hours.  Thanks!!
Garry

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 12:46:04 PM »

You can reach Ken at ken (at) swampclub (dot) org.
Thanks, I will sign-up for the Flatwoods' sections.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 02:11:26 PM »
Any chance if we want to work at Alafia that we could use some of their equipment? Those ground-trimmers would sure save my back. So far I've just been using the hedger and bending over but it's killing me  :-\
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 06:58:59 PM »
Any chance if we want to work at Alafia that we could use some of their equipment? Those ground-trimmers would sure save my back. So far I've just been using the hedger and bending over but it's killing me  :-\

Talk to Art about registering with the rangers or checking out tools when you go to do trail work.

Offline cole

• Land Manager
  • First Bike
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »
I think that is a great idea.  I believe there is a small amount of planning to work out at Wilderness Park.  Keep in mind the Rangers have a responsibility to the park patrons and the trails.  If we have up to date communication and agreed upon procedures this program will benefit all.  If we can do just a little preparation with the land manager this could help everyone.