Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Mongoose?  (Read 19590 times)

Offline SpitFireJay

• Huffy Rider
Mongoose?
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:53:56 AM »
I'm looking at two different mongoose mtn bikes to replace the hard tail i use right now. The bike i have is a hand-me-down and left me with man a bruise in the rump on my last ride. I want something dual suspension (or so i believe) that can handle some of the harder trails in alafia and croom. I'm fairly new to mtn biking, with a background mostly in snowboarding. The first bike is a the 26" Mongoose XR250.  Specs below.

* Frame type: 4-bar dual suspension mountain bike frame
    * Frame materials: Lightweight aluminum
    * Suspension type: ZOOM suspension fork
    * Gearing/Shifters: 21-speed Shimano drivetrain, Easy Fire shifters
    * Brakes: Front ProMax disc brake, rear alloy linear pull brake
    * Tires: Mongoose R4674WM tires
    * Wheels: AERO paired spoke deep dish alloy wheels
    * Weight: 42lbs.

The second bike is the Mongoose Blackcomb.
Specifications:

* Frame type: 4-bar vertical spring aluminum dual suspension frame
    * Frame material: Aluminum for light weight and durability
    * Suspension fork: RST Capa-T6; coil/MCU spring, non-adjustable 75mm
    * Rear suspension: Adjustable coil
    * Shifting: 24-speed Shimano gearing with EZ Fire shifters
    * Stem: 25.4 ahead stem
    * Handlebars: Alloy MTB rise
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano C050
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
    * Brakes: Front and rear Promax mechanical Dual Disc
    * Wheels: 26" 36-spoke black anodized alloy rims; alloy QR disc hubs
    * Gears: Suntour XCC 28/38/48; Shimano HG30 11-28T
    * Tires: Kenda 26" x 2.1"
    * Pedals: Mongoose MTB
    * Seat: WTB Speed-V
    * MOZO Vibe E fork to smooth out front impacts

Comments? Suggestions? Like i said i'm fairly new to the sport and i'm looking for something thats not going to kill my wallet, yet will last me for a couple years.
Thanks,
Jay

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Mongoose?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »
This is actually also known as the "wallet killer forum"---so be prepared! ;D
Mike Cole

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »
Have not heard too many good things personally about mongoose,42lbs is very heavy,check all the boards there are usually some good deals,what price range?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:15:22 AM »
Not familiar with the mongoose bikes, where are you buying this bike at? If it is walmart, walk away and keep saving. IMO any entry level FS bike from one of the better manufacturers, be it Specialized, Trek, or Cannondale are far and away better. Hit up some of the LBS's, I know the one in Winter Haven has bikes in there all the time on consignment, for much less than retail. I'm sure the other shops do the same. You can pick up a bike that is a few years old for 6-800 bucks sometimes, that is leaps and bounds better. You may have to be patient to find one you like, but it will be worth it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline SpitFireJay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:32:21 AM »
well those bikes that i am looking at (and you got me - walmart) are around 180.00 - 280.00 what can i say, i'm not looking to kill the wallet, i could see spending 300.00 on a bike, and i know there is a bike shop not far from here. I've seen alot of trek bikes around. is there a specific trek you would suggest above others as a good dual suspension starter. the other thing that drew me to the mongoose' were that they have front and rear disc brakes. not crazy about the shifters, almost like paddle shifters on a car.

scooter

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 09:59:41 AM »
For the price range you specified, you should look at a preowned bike. $300 may get you last years hardtail entry level bike with some negotiating. Prices are crazy but there is a lot of truth in the saying "You get what you pay for".

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 10:08:37 AM »
well those bikes that i am looking at (and you got me - walmart) are around 180.00 - 280.00 what can i say, i'm not looking to kill the wallet, i could see spending 300.00 on a bike, and i know there is a bike shop not far from here. I've seen alot of trek bikes around. is there a specific trek you would suggest above others as a good dual suspension starter. the other thing that drew me to the mongoose' were that they have front and rear disc brakes. not crazy about the shifters, almost like paddle shifters on a car.

Jay - you will be sorry that you bought a Walmart type bike for anything other than riding to the store and back.  They are just not made to last.  Then if you take it off road to some of the trails we ride it will literally fall apart in no time and you will be out that money you could have put towards a bike designed to last.  Basically you should be looking for the most bike that you can afford from a company that stands behind their bikes.  Some of the top ones are Giant, Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, Kona to name a few. 
Paruse through this link ---> http://www.bikesutra.com/manatoi.html
Look for something with at least an LX derailleur in the back.  Don't get stuck on disc versus V-brakes.  Disc make a bike a couple of pounds heavier overall from V-brakes and V's will stop you when you need them too as well.  If your bike is over 30 pounds you will work HARD to do some of the rides.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »
Ok, I am the resident cheapo on this board and I have to say you might want to skip the Mongoose Walmart edition---some of the parts are pretty good but others on them just fall apart if you actually use it much off-road. If you are not gonna ride very often then it will work but other than that you will end up spending more in the long run.

I bought a Walmart Schwinn road bike and it is fine but I only use it sometimes and only on the road, of course. Off-road is a different story.

You mentioned Croom--I ride there everyday.
If you ever want to ride here at Croom let me know--I will hit it up with you.

I will keep my eyes open for a good used one if you are interested.
Mike Cole

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
for that price a second the getting a used or last years hard tail.  You will get a lot more bike for the money than a $300 FS bike.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 12:01:34 PM »
For $300 to $400 you can get a decent entry level Trek hardtail.  One of my buddies picked up a new 3700 last year.  It's a decent entry level bike that will get the job done.  He's ridden it at Alafia and Santos with no problems.  Hope this helps.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline SpitFireJay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
Not to sound like a total noob, but whats the difference between a hardtail and a softtail - ridewise? Because the bike i currently ride is a hardtail and though its not the best of bikes between the stiff ride and the rockhard seat, which does have gel padding, i ended up with a bruised ass like i've never experienced before and would rather not experience again.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 01:01:09 PM »
Hardtails (HT) and Full Suspension (FS) bikes have different ride characteristics.  They both have advantages and disadvantages.  Riding either also requires different techniques.  HTs for the most part pedal better than a FS.  With HTs you may have to get out of the saddle more of more technical terrain so that your legs can actually soak up the bumps.  On the other hand FS rides smoother than an HT just because the bike is soaking up most of the bumps.  I used to have a HT but I went to FS becuase I liked riding it more.  You will find on this forum that there are some die hard HT guys that wouldn't go FS even if it was given to them.  The choice is more rider preference than anything.   

Offline SpitFireJay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »
do you find that FS' save the rumpus better than a HT?

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »
For me, yes.  But again FS is my preference.  You also have to keep in mind how much you want to spend on said bike.  FS is nice, but a decent one will cost you.  I'm with everone else on the Wally World thing.  Don't waste your money and time on those.  The bike will not hold up on the trails.  In the long run, you'll have a lot less fun.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »
I'll tell ya a little story, kinda humorus, about a buddy of mine. I'd been riding (again) for about 6 months or so. Was getting pretty good, riding Moonscape and Gatorback and stuff like that. Every Sunday I'd come home and the neighbor would come over and we'd talk and I'd tell him about the ride, ya know how it goes. So he decided he wanted to start riding. I said, "Great, head over to the bike shop and get a decent bike, a Walmart bike won't hold up to the stuff we ride." So the next week he tells me, "Hey man I got a bike, lets go ride this weekend!". Saturday morning he rolls over with a Walmart Mongoose. I just shook my head. It lasted about 8 miles. I wouldn't shift (at all), front and rear wheels were bent, rear brake didn't work, and the coup de grace was when both pedals snapped off simultaneously. It was kinda comical really, luckily he didn't get hurt. The next weekend we went to the LBS and got him a real bike.

I understand not everyone can drop a couple of grand on a bike. I ride a hardtail quite often, they aren't as comfy, but that makes you be a smarter rider. You'll learn to use your legs and body to cushion the bumps, pick better, smoother lines. Get the best bike you can afford. It'll last longer, and you usually won't have as many problems with it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: