Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Are you a masher or spinner?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Are you a masher or spinner?
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:53:54 PM »
After riding seriously for almost two years now, I finally realize that I am better off spinning at higher rpm to maintain a certain speed rather than mashing by using higher gear ratio. I don't get tired fast and my muscles can hold for longer duration which means longer ride. The only thing that concerns me is the stress I am putting to my leg and knee joints.
I have read articles between the “masher” and “spinner” pedaling techniques and came into conclusion that it depends on the rider (riding style, physical condition, goals, etc.).

So what are you? Masher or Spinner

scooter

Re: Are you a masher or spinner?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »
No doubt a spinner. I would think you are putting far less strain on yourself spinning a faster cadence versus mashing a steeper gear. There are times I will mash but when the quads start screaming, spinning allows me to recover while still maintaining pace. :)

Offline cryptiq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 05:56:29 PM »
Definitely a spinner on the trails.  I like to get in a gear where I feel like I'm in zero gravity just spinning my legs with some resistance, but not enough to drain my system.  It's hard for me to describe the feeling, it's like you're in the zone, like you're running in a weightless environment flying thru the trail.

Some of my ride usually involves the paved part of Flatwoods...I turn into a masher then and try to hang with the roadies.  I've passed one, and drafted a group of 2, fun stuff!
I've tasted death, it could use some hot sauce.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:57:42 PM »
Usually a masher, I suppose I'm a single-speed rider waiting to happen  ::)
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:46:50 PM »
Usually more of a masher, though I am trying to spin more. Old habits die hard.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »
I'm a masher through and through. Even when I start to cramp I'm better off grabbing a bigger gear and slowing the cadence down, if I try to spin it just makes it worse. I ride the last 8 miles at San Felasco earlier this year cramping. Put it in the big ring and kept rolling, about 3 miles from the end the cramps went away. I'm backwards in alot of things though, so don't listen to me! :D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:18:15 PM »
Masher for me, although I don't think masher is the right word to use.  Sometimes I will get caught in too big of a gear  for a climb and since I don't like to shift while during a hard climb, I will try to mash it out and make the climb. That would be the only instance where I would call it a masher. The rest of the time I'll use the big gear ratio because it just feels more natural to. I like the slower cadence but more powerful feeling in the crank. Might be  the cardio isn't as strong for me to support the high cadence. Put me in the group with Jan Ullrich. Lance is a spinner.   8)
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 11:51:53 PM »
I'm a Masher, but I've been practicing spinning on some climbs. I find that mashing on the fast smooth parts helps to get past what you can normally pull out off angles that would cause you to skid out.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 12:37:03 AM »
Masher.

This new Trek that I bought has gears, unusual for me, and I am finding that they tend to make you be more of a spinner because of the simple fact that you can. With my SS I can't shift so I deal with it. But with gears it seems like it makes you more dependent on the gears. 

I have been riding it pretty much in one gear only now though.

I am not sure about this whole suspension thing either---it is kinda weird to me that we like the rough off-road trails but yet we want to take away as much of the roughness as possible. But I am known for thinking pretty weird things....
Mike Cole

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 06:13:45 AM »
I know what you are saying with the suspension criticque. Liking the rough trails but smoothing it out with suspension. Thats off topic though. Even the pro's don't have an answer for the difference bewteen the mashers and the spinners, they write it off as a personal comfort level. Anyone read any articles on the subject in any of the bike rags?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 07:11:32 AM »
I like to spin it smooth like ceamy JIF peanut butter! ;D

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 07:31:17 AM »
I think I am a "Puller Spinner"  in that I don't like to mash down my pedals/gear.  Lactic acid build ups are a biatch...  One of many things I learned in road riding is to keep a good cadance going.  A good spin all around where you are not spinning to fast to run out of air.  Not spinning too hard on the pedals to keep the legs fresh.  When I come to hills is where I think I am a "puller" in that I like to pull up on my pedals on the upstroke rather then stand up on my bike and mash them down.  Even on the road bike where I stand up more the on my mtb, I like to pull a bit more then mash.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 08:46:43 AM »
Spin to win, baby! 8)

Pushing big gears is really good training for long mountain climbs, though.

Having both skills in your arsenal, and knowing when to use them, is the way to go.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 09:01:44 AM »
I like to do both.  I'll mash on the long flowing sections.  Climbing and technical stuff turns me into a spinner.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 09:11:30 AM »
does it mean that i am really out of shape that I am mashing when I am spinning?

haha

Advertisement: