Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Major conflict at Balm-Boyette!  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Major conflict at Balm-Boyette!
« on: October 10, 2007, 08:42:32 PM »
I was contacted today by the land managers for Balm-Boyette Nature Preserve about a launch ramp that was built on the property without permission.  This caught me by surprise and could have compromised the understanding and relationship that SWAMP has built over the years with the land managers as they thought that it was us who built it.
Since I will be busy the next few days I am hoping that my e-mail response back to them will smooth things over as they are QUITE put off that this structure was built without permission and is a danger to those who use it.  Read into this LIABILITY!

Now I do not know if anyone on this board had anything to do with it or not, and am not accusing anyone because I do not know if anyone here did it, but I just need to put the information out there any way that I can to NOT DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS because the property DOES NOT BELONG TO US, therefore we play by their rules and now I am having to PLAY DAMAGE CONTROL with the land managers so that we can continue to enhance and improve the trails that we do have and are building without them standing over our shoulders!  It has been a long hard road to get to this point of being able to have a pretty much hands off land manager with what we have out there.  I do not want to lose that.  So if any of you know who did this please tell them, in no uncertain to terms, to cease and desist.  From this point I will do everything I can to assure the land managers that we will do everything we can to not have this on this property and not ruin what we have.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Garry Rosseter
SWAMP Trail Maintenance; Balm-Boyette

Offline scubastud

• Huffy Rider
Re: Major conflict at Balm-Boyette!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 09:25:49 PM »
I noticed that when I rode out there on Sept. 30th. It appears bikes were/are launching from the plank ramp which is about 6-8 ft. off the ground with an inclined landing below. Secondly, some dirt was piled up off to the side in essense creating a 'natural' jump, with this one being about 2-3 feet off the inclined landing.

If asked, I'll pass the word that it's not allowed and potentially could jeopardize our chances at using the land for mountain biking.
"Life is short so break the rules and never regret anything that made you smile..."

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 10:29:17 PM »
Where was this at? Mt Boyette area???  Maybe a laminated piece of paper should be put out at the location explaining to those who did it why it can't be done. Just a suggestion.  Educate before it's too late. Tearing it down without getting the message out to those responsible could create additional problems with them rebuilding.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »
Just curious, but who is in charge of land management there? Is it Hillsb. Co. Nat. Resources?
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 10:35:12 PM »
I kinda heard about this about a month ago. I overheard a conversation, but didn't pay a whole lot of attention as I was suffering from some severe heat exhaustion problems. Didn't think much of it as I thought he was describing a natural feature kinda like the one on the meadow trail. Sure hope it doesn't mess things up.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline scubastud

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:38:30 PM »
Yes over by Mt. Boyette.

I think once you come out of Mt. Boyette, take a left and you'll see it down further on the left. I saw tire tracks the day I was there so it appears someone took the launch !!

"Life is short so break the rules and never regret anything that made you smile..."

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:43:10 PM »

Here it is.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »
Just curious, but who is in charge of land management there? Is it Hillsb. Co. Nat. Resources?

Hillsborough County Parks and Recreation.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 10:46:54 PM »
If asked, I'll pass the word that it's not allowed and potentially could jeopardize our chances at using the land for mountain biking.

I'm asking kindly to please pass the word!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 11:06:07 PM »
The word will be passed! I think that this sucks! >:(

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 11:32:47 PM »
Where was this at? Mt Boyette area???  Maybe a laminated piece of paper should be put out at the location explaining to those who did it why it can't be done. Just a suggestion.  Educate before it's too late. Tearing it down without getting the message out to those responsible could create additional problems with them rebuilding.
Good idea...  Has the land manager taken it down or waiting on SWAMP to do it?

BTW, someone had to drive in there to get all that wood to the location.  I think is time to change the lock combo again.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 07:21:10 AM »
Freeride killed MTB!  ;D The TOE would still be around to enjoy if they did not run rampped into freeride. I do not want that to take away my favorite trail! Everyone keep a good look out on the weekend by checking out those spots and if we catch them we can educate them!  Old school! ;D ;D

Offline Red Trail Racing

• Associate
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 07:36:13 AM »
That is ashame that people are abusing the privaledge. I like Ellsriders idea to educate :)
You are soooooo mis-informed Chiselchest. The TOE was lost SPECIFICALLY because of XC trail riders that KNEW the trail was private and yet continued to trespass. The Free Ride community (and ME) has a hard enough time dealing with the huge loss and to hear people say it was the Free Riders fault is friggen reDICKulas!! If you want I can PM you the owners phone number and you can give him a call and he can tell you why the TOE was lost.

-False propaganda is KILLING Mtn Biking.......

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »

Here it is.

I say the ramp work is done pretty good they even put a cross brace at the last support to prevent it to sway. It must took them at least an hour to put it up, now if that same time will be put in trimming Vista Ridge. I agree with Ellsrider to educate these fellow riders to put the effort into good use ("good use" with respect to the overall intent and use of this trail system).

I guess Santos is a loooong drive for these guys!!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 08:17:09 AM »
If I ever win the Lottery I would seriously consider buying a piece of land  and building a bike park.  There is a demand for freeride, Xc, downhill,  BMX...
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: