Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Lets talk tires again  (Read 2716 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Lets talk tires again
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:38:45 PM »
Quote from: ejosrq on Yesterday at 04:30:40 PM
... I use a larger 2.4 tire as well. Makes all the difference on our rocky/rooty trails.

Eric,
Wow, 2.4???  You can mount on those on a motorcycle ,or a major downhill bike        I am sure they give you plenty of grip on the loose rocks and slick/wet roots.  But aren't those keeping you glued to the hard pack stuff?  I used 2.3's for the longest cuz they came with my bike but I am down to 2.0/2.1 and considering a 1.9/2.0 setup now. 

Just busting your chops....     ---- quote from Sandpine

Well let me tell you this. I switched to a race tire and although it is very very fast, it sucks for everyday riding. Once I put this tire on the bike

it took me several rides to adjust to how the bike handles differently. Basically, it barely handles at all in the corners. Its great if everything  is dry and hardpacked, but anything loose and you better  be paying attention, or you are sliding out and maybe going down.  This tire is a 1.95 but it could pass for a 1.85. Notice how the tread tapers from the high center to the sloping sidewalls with  hardly any knob at all protruding  out to grab trail.  Those protruding sideknobs make a big difference if you lean your bike at all and the lack of sidewall knobbies is noticeable.  Look at this tire

notice first off how much wider it is across the top of the tire. (This is a Kozmik Lite II - 2.0) This extra width helps out  so much more than what the race tire has. If you lean your bike with the Kozmik LiteII that firm sidewall knobby will bite in and hold your line for you vs.  the race tire that almost goes to a slick if you lean too much.  The tradeoff is the weight savings and how much faster the tire  rolls  vs.  confidence in handling and  an increased chance that you will slide out. Now look at this  tire

this is a Nokian Gazza 2.3.  After compression from rider and bike weight,  you are almost riding on a wide flat surface and those knobs will almost allow you to bite into  the sidewall of benchcut and ride above the trail. Big confidence in bombing stuff and rolling over babyheads.... However, the tradeoff is all that frickin weight and slow slow rolling speed.  This tire weighs more than 3 times  what the race tire weighs.  (this is a downhill tire, just using  it  as an example)  This tire is way wider than the picture makes it look.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Lets talk tires again
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »
Conti Explorer Pros, 2.1 UST. I've tried a few others and just keep coming back. Great all-around tire IMO.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

scooter

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »
Ditto on the explorer. I ran the protec version forever and have the 440 gram supersonic version on the Anthem. The Transe is getting the UST version, this will be my virgin run on a UST setup :o With all that being said, I am itching to go to the dark side and try a Specialized FastTrak LK 2.0 on the front of the Anthem with a stan's setup ;)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:39:31 PM »
i am digging my kosmic lite II's

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:12:48 PM »
Like everything else, tires are an exercise in trade-offs.  High-grip vs. fast rolling, light weight vs. durability, etc...while today's more advanced rubber compounds have pushed the bar higher on all tires, there are still all of those fundamental trade-offs.  I used to run Nokian NBX-Lite 2.0's on my Blur - light tire, small knob, fast rolling, and then switched to a 2.1 Stick-E compound Kenda Blue Groove and Nevegal combo - slower rolling, bigger tire, more grip, and have now switched out the rear Nevegal with a Kenda Small Block 8 - faster rolling, lighter, but terrible in the wet.  When I do some lift assisted riding, I don't care about weight or fast rolling and put on 2.5-2.7 sized tires up font and 2.3-2.5 in the rear to enjoy the added traction/corning and greater durability.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:19:17 PM »
i am digging my kosmic lite II's

I have a pair of Kosmic Lite II's and used ultra thin tubes with them.  They f;latted almost every ride.  I put in regular tubes and they seem to work fine.  Fast, a slippery on wet or loose terrain, but a nice tire.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
Pana........... ;D

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:25:10 PM »
Pana........... ;D

I used to run Panaracer Fire XC's but I've found their rubber to not be as good as Kenda's Stick-E compound, though it is long wearing.  I'll kill a set of Stick-E's in 1 week of riding out west.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 11:38:09 PM »
I do need to ligthen up my spare tire a bit...   ;D ;D

Oh.... wrong tire discussion... sorry...   

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 11:41:41 PM »
Pana........... ;D
I second that!
I do need to ligthen up my spare tire a bit...   ;D ;D

Funny! ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 11:43:19 PM »
I'm running panaracer's dart and smoke combo for couple of months now, sucks on wet roots but hard pack trail and cornering is excellent. Cheap combo to learn different tread and pattern performance.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:55:28 PM by treadlight »

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 01:03:22 AM »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 06:31:14 AM »
Get that junk outta here!   ;D  I'm surprised Schwalbe has their name associated with that. Thats some funny stuff. Junk science that only could exist with the internet. The sports scientist looks like a tool.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 08:17:02 AM »
 ;D

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 08:30:55 AM »
I do need to ligthen up my spare tire a bit...   ;D ;D

That is funny! Please don't start talking about your tube!

Advertisement: