Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail changes at Alafia  (Read 6748 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Trail changes at Alafia
« on: October 15, 2007, 05:08:50 PM »
Myself , Chiselchest and Art completed two trail mods today.First we  changed the line for the downhill at the first steep drop  on Moonscape. It is a section that I have always called 4 Palm Hill. It is in the clay section and there is  a by pass to avoid the climb and  drop if one so chooses.  What was completed  was a trail re-route at the base of the hill  so one can carry their speed instead of slowing down at the bottom to stay on the trail. I think everyone will like  this.  The second trail mod was on Bridges. A major trail re-route was completed with some killer downhill added. All you  big hit jumpers will like this.   :o No, let me give it one more shocked emoticon. Its that good.   :o   ;D Please be careful and enjoy.  It will take some time to work in but  this will be a beautiful addition.   A big thanks to Gary Giordano (? name)  for stopping to help out.  Mucho appreciated with all those final touches.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
Re: Trail changes at Alafia
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:36:50 PM »
I also noticed that Bridges got new bridges. Fixed ones instead of floating ones. Also the rooty climb going into the 2nd half of the trail was significantly smoothed out. Thanks for all the work you're doing, and if I manage not to get scheduled for school on Saturdays I hope to be able to come out and help.

I have this coming Friday and Monday off of work, so I could spend some time out there in the afternoons if anyone will be around?
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:15:36 AM »
Nice. I rode there last Sunday for the first time in a while. Moonscape is a mess.

The second trail mod was on Bridges. A major trail re-route was completed with some killer downhill added.

Where specifically is this located?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:56:25 AM »
Rode it this morning.  This is a great new section.  Is between the new bridge (replaced the floating bridge) and drop into the big clibm around tree before the whoops.  It is going to be even better when it packs in.  To catch the air you have to be going from the floating bridge toward the big climb.  Otherwise is a nice long climb.

I know Art and you guys worked all day yesterday on it.  It is a long section so it definetely took some time.  I don't think we should add any more new bypasses before the FTF.  They will not have time to get ridden into. Also, that big climb with pavers before the Whoops need some major TLC.  Almost unrideable at this point.  Don't get me wrong now.  The new adds (specially on Rollercoaster) are great.  Just let the FTF pass first and concentrate on fixing up what is now a mess.  Many existing sections needs work.  We are going to have a full house at the FTF and we are showcasing the great trails of Alafia.  So why not fix the ones we have for now.  Only one more work day left there so see you there.

The bypass on bridges leading to the climb before Shelly's loop is now nice and packed. 

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:58:59 AM »
They will not have time to get ridden into.
But that's what festivals are for! Run a couple hundred riders through it and you're all set. :D

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:43:02 AM »
 ;D  Sure....   Last year's IDIDARIDE they cut a new trail.  It was the narrowest with 2-3 inch stumps all over the place.  They made us do that trail twice.  It sure got plenty of ridden into that day!!!  It was the most memorable piece of trail to talk about at the camp fire.  Don't think that was very good for them...  :D :D

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »
I just rode Alafia this past Sunday.  Haven't been there in a couple of months.  Really enjoyed the new stuff in Rollercoaster, especially the whoop-de-doos.  Great job mixing it up a little bit.  Can't wait to ride the new sections you guys are describing!
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 01:59:20 PM »
That big climb with pavers before the Whoops need some major TLC.  Almost unrideable at this point. 

I haven't noticed any change in this feature, except that the very topmost paver occasionally gets knocked to one side a bit. However, I ride straight onto the pavers from the bottom. I know some people like to keep to the left until near the top and then try to get on them for the last few feet. Maybe this route is not the same as it once was?

Just a thought... but couldn't we incorporate a pump section into the new piece of Rollercoaster. The new part in the second half, right after the first switchback. What would it take to do that, and would we be allowed to do that?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 02:04:32 PM by RiskEverything »

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 02:02:48 PM »
The changes are very well done, if you are not paying attention you don't even see where the reroutes start and end. Clearly very well thought out! 

That little pain in the ass climb on Bridges has definitely gotten more eroded over the last several months.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 02:05:17 PM »
That little pain in the ass climb on Bridges has definitely gotten more eroded over the last several months.

How do pavers erode ???

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 02:19:45 PM »

How do pavers erode ???

You really don't want me to clarify this for you.....or do you? ???

Gregg, I'm waiting for a smart ass reply.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 02:23:26 PM by Jimbo »

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »

How do pavers erode ???

You really don't want me to clarify this for you.....or do you? ???

Gregg, I'm waiting for a smart ass reply.
By riders walking? JK  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »
Ok wiseasssssses.

Pavers do erode. They may not erode at the same rate as the dirt around them, but they do erode. Did anyone take earth science in middle school? ;D

Remember all we are is dust in the wind..................................Ugh. Did I really just use that line? ;D

What I meant to say is the transtions around the f--ing pavers have all eroded so it is much more difficult to get my fat butt on to them because usually by that point I am breathing pretty hard. Not that I want to dumb down any trail, as I am a fan of the more difficult stuff, but I would expect that to be a bottling point for any larger groups of riders, let alone the FTF. So mabye jsut a slight adjustment there might be warranted?

I didn't realize that I had to be so specific. Please forgive me...............I thought you guys were smart.  ;D

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 04:04:19 PM »
I didn't realize that I had to be so specific. Please forgive me...............I thought you guys were smart.  ;D

Sniff..... :'(

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »
... but couldn't we incorporate a pump section into the new piece of Rollercoaster.
The new adds after the long open air section has sort of a mini pump.  The 2-3 humps are now nicely packed and you can catch some decent air if you hit them hard enough.  I am afraid that is as close as pump section as you going to get. :P

Advertisement: