Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Brake squeal  (Read 2333 times)

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
Brake squeal
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:12:07 PM »
As a few unfortunate people can testify, my Furio's brakes squeal like a stuck pig. They don't seem to work particularly well, either...

The bike had Avid BB5 mech. discs. I swapped out the shifters and brakes for XT dual control hydraulics with XT calipers. I have the same brake setup on my Rush, only with XT rotors instead of Avid rotors, and it's brakes are fairly noise-free.

I've sanded the rotor and the brake pads, cleaned them both thoroughly, and still the squeal. Any further suggestions? Even the bike shop is stumped.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline KJ-Renegade

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: Brake squeal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:19:05 PM »
I know my brake squeal 2 week ago from getting the rotors wet and dirt and I have the Hayes setup. All I did was take the pad out and clean the backside of the pad and the cap that goes on the outside of the caliper and the squeal was gone. Also clean inside the brake housing. Any form of dirt that contact from the cap to the pad it will make them squeal.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »
I have the same problem. It drives me nuts. Several mechanics told me that theres nothing wrong with them. One even told me that the squeal lets me know that their working. So I'm stumped. 
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Have the brakes always squeaked or have they just started squeaking?  If they have always squeaked, your disc brake tabs might need to be faced to ensure they are even.  If they just started squeaking, maybe you should try a different set of pads.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 09:49:25 PM »
Having personally witness your squealing brakes, I am fairly certain that it is your brake pads. I would bet that a quick swap of pads will quite them down. I know this seems obvious, but don't replace them with exactly the same pads, you might want to use a softer compound, one with less metal.

Offline Bucki29r

• First Bike
    • Habituals Of The Singletrack Racers
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 10:27:36 PM »
I can't believe a mechanic told you the sqealing means your breaks are working...they can be completely silent and be working just fine. On some 29 er bikes you get some wheel flex pending on the rider size. I'd say you got three options: have the tabs faced or replace the pads or clean the rotors with clean streak or metal prep.
Or try all three.
http://ridetwentyniner.blogspot.com/

Gary didn’t invent 29ers—he’s just produced more than anyone else on earth.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »
I believe he was kidding about them squealing because they were working....I think. On mine I have replaced the pads once before. The problem comes and goes. It happens when its dry and wet. Sometimes when I'm not even on the bike but just walking it I can hear a high pitch whine form the brakes... And no, the bike is not whining cause I'm walking it.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »
Sometimes I hear my bike calling me from the garage.  :-\

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 08:26:18 AM »
My LX brakes on my hardtail will squeal sometimes. It just happens out of the blue. If your's are doing it all the time maybe you got some kind of contamination on the pads/rotor. Even a drop of chain lube could do it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
The Avid BB5 brakes were silent, the squeal only started after installing the new XT brake system. I "faced" the pads by laying sandpaper flat on a table and running the pads across them- no help
I've sanded and cleaned the rotors- no help
I'm going to try swapping the (well used) pads from the Rush to the F600, because they have the same components. I might try this tomorrow... we'll see. I also have another brand-new set of XT pads sitting around waiting for mine to wear out. I could give them a shot, though they aren't broken-in or anything...
Otherwise... maybe XT rotors, or organic pads...  ???
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
I think organic pads.

Advertisement: