Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 03:46:34 PM] Skinman: Cant run...no legs

[Today at 03:46:39 PM] treadlight: Dan--cant do...baby duty

[Today at 03:46:43 PM] treadlight: i wish tho

[Today at 03:46:51 PM] Dan-o: got it

[Today at 03:47:05 PM] treadlight: thanks for the invite btw

[Today at 03:47:14 PM] Dan-o:  i have 3 and got the hall pass!

[Today at 03:47:26 PM] treadlight: same here..10, 7 & 3

[Today at 03:47:38 PM] treadlight: brb

[Today at 03:50:22 PM] FACTORe: I have a pomeranian

[Today at 03:50:32 PM] FACTORe: that is like a baby

[Today at 03:54:02 PM] Dan-o: does she sht in a box like a cat?

[Today at 04:07:00 PM] FACTORe: she has teets...she can be milked

Advanced search  

News:

Alafia Fat Tire Festival (Nov 6-9, 2009) Event registration for 2009 is open!  Information here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This may keep me off the bike !!! Please help !!!  (Read 912 times)

BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
This may keep me off the bike !!! Please help !!!
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
I have been getting headaches after riding that are increasing with severity and will essentially keep me from riding until I get it straightened out. I realize you guys may not be doctors but I'm sure someone has experienced similar problems. My typical ride is 3 hours and they will pretty much always start either near the end of the ride with a neckache but lately have been starting nearly 3 hours after I finish the ride. I start with a good breakfast and a power bar and will consume nearly 3L in 3 hours including 24oz of power bar endurance. After the ride I'll drink a recovery shake and another 24-48oz of water while I cool down then go have a good lunch. The more supplements and water I drink only seems to delay the onset. If I shorten the ride time to less than 2 hours I typically don't get one. I have considered dehydration, mineral loss, riding position, helmet, heat, camelbak, etc but have taken what I think are adequate steps to remedy these issues. All over the counter stuff seem to do nothing to relieve the headache. Anyone have any ideas ?

My ride today for reference: Headache severity - 8, Time - 3 hours, Finish - 1pm, Headache start -  4pm

SST, Lochness, Upr. Loch, Randy's Trl, Spider Berm, N. Abyss, S. Abyss, Big Drop, Big Drop, Golf Cart, GatorPit, Golf Cart, Mt. Boyette, Spider Berm, Randy's Trl, W. Meadow, Baby Nessie, Inr. Loch, SST. and neither my g/f or I left any blood behind. :)

Thanks
Bill

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:23:36 PM by BadAssCorrado »
Bill

BeerCan

• Global Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: This may keep me off the bike !!! Please help !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:24:56 PM »
Go see a doctor.  Make sure you explain everything to him.  I would also start keeping a log of when you get your headaches and what you were doing beforehand.  It is best not to mess around with issues like these.
Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever
------------------------------------
If you have any question regarding any policies or problems on the message boards, please contact me via PM or by email infoATgovbtDOTcom

benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »
What beer can said...

Also you may want to take a look at when you are eating and drinking.  Heaches can be caused by numerous things even an electrlight inbalance.  Could be that powerade endurace doesn't have the right nutrients you are consuming.  But first bet see a PhD.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »
I would call the doctor first thing in the morning....Don't screw with it!
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

If you have any question regarding any policies or problems on the message boards, please contact me via PM or by email at Konagregg at gmail.com

Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »
If you have eliminated too tight of a headband, salt loss, dehydration, pre ride and post ride nutrition, glasses need new prescription, allergies, thwack on the head - then maybe it's time to have a physical and stress test.

Stumpjumper

• Ride Guide
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:03:13 AM »
I have the same problem.  If I drink water during the ride and even a R4 recovery drink afterwards, I will get a severe headache.  Since I switch to Gatorade for the rides, I hardly get the headaches.  A nurse said I loose Electolites with the straight water.  She said to drink a V8 afterwards, and it really does work.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

EllsRider

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 07:10:17 AM »
You only get headaches after you have ridden your bike?  Important!
The headaches used to be immediate, but now that you have increased supplementation and hydration, they are are delayed?
They are worse or more severe now?
Have you increased your ride compared to when the headaches  started immediately?
After the ride, are you consuming alcohol or coffee between the end of the ride and when the headaches start?
Are you suffering from any numbness or  tingling in your hands or anywhere else from the bike?
How long have you been biking?
Overall condition, overweight?
Diet? Now versus  your historical diet. Any changes? Would you say you eat healthy, so-so or crappy.
After these rides, how do you feel? Completely exhausted?
What brand vitamins are you taking?
In the next month as temps drop, see if headaches subside because of less sweating.
Do not use this as excuse not to go to Doctor.

If you don't have insurance and want to delay seeing a Doctor, as long as headaches only happen after these long rides I don't  think you are in any immediate medical crisis and you can still experiment with healing yourself. The symptoms all indicate dehydration/ mineral/ electrolyte depletion.  It could be something Chiropractic that needs adjusting, especially in your neck;  something that is aggravated  while in the riding position. I think everything  is still pointing towards to your diet. I am not a Doctor and I am not offering medical  advice, just good nutritional advice. How much water do you drink  during the average day? Do you drink soda? Would you consider yourself a heavy drinker?  How much coffee?  I would increase the health of your intestinal tract to  better your absorbtion rate of the vitamins and minerals that you need. Do this by taking a good quality ( this means expensive)  pro-biotic and eat good quality yogurt . Don't expect immediate results, give it 30 days minimum.  For every cup of coffee or alcohol that you drink make certain that you drink a cup of water. Its possible to live dehydrated all the time  and people aren't even aware of  it until they do something that pushes them over the edge and then the medical symptoms begin. This is common with people who have  a poor diet. Any chance that you are diabetic?   
" Not this time, Lance"

BeerCan

• Global Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 10:18:51 AM »
The dehydration / electrolyte route is what I think also.  As EllsRider said, it has been reported that up to 70% of Americans are constantly dehydrated.  It is aggravated by the fact that a large number of people mistake thirst for hunger.

I still think you need to see a doc right away if the headaches are as bad as you say.  It could be a simple as hydration.  It could also be a food allergy or electrolyte imbalance.  The problem is it could also be something worse.  Your body is trying to tell you something and you should listen.  Not riding to cure your headache is not a reasonable answer either, because the problem will still be there.  You really need to write down everything you ate and what you were doing in the previous 12 hours before your headache.  It may mean nothing but it also might give you some clues.

Otherwise I think EllsRider is right on.
Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever
------------------------------------
If you have any question regarding any policies or problems on the message boards, please contact me via PM or by email infoATgovbtDOTcom

BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 11:13:17 PM »
I'm average build (6'1" 190), nonsmoker, rarely drink, no coffee, don't drink much soda, always active. Headaches almost always start with a neckache and persist to a very mild headache sometimes before the end of the ride and seem to worsen with a sometimes sudden onset usually well after the ride is done. I work outside and sweat my ass off daily and am a native floridian so the heat has never bothered me. I just got laid off with no insurance  so I'm thinking up the electrolites and maybe put the seat down and shorten the rides and see what happens. Once I'm re-employed I'll head to the doctor.   
Bill

Ken

• Swampster
  • SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 09:53:20 AM »
I had similar headaces about 6-7 years ago and it turned out my blood pressure was running high. A little change in the diet helped that. I wasn't wearing a helmet when riding the Pinellas trail back then (my bad), but after I started wearing one I used to get neck aches, leading to headaches, from not being used to wearing one. Once my neck muscles got stonger most of that stopped. My heart monitor helped me to control my breathing which in turn loered my heart rate and fewer headaches also.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 19 queries.