Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail Conditions 10-30-07  (Read 2466 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Trail Conditions 10-30-07
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:12:31 AM »
Completed a nice ride on Tuesday, late afternoon. It appeared that some rain had moved thru the area earlier as the trail was wet.

SST  - primo condition, great pack
Loch Ness , Inner Loch Ness, West meadow - perfect
Golf Cart - as always, one of the best trails in the state. No trees down, branches, great condition.
North Abyss - very good condition, one small water puddle at base of down and up. Rode new bypass at double root climb towards the
                   east end of trail.  Bypass was good, very easy down and out but still needs to be worked in. No erosion  problems to
                   speak of.
Pandemonium -  good pack, no erosion
Sidewinder -  first time to ride, smooth flowing trail. Getting packed in as a line is developing on bench cuts. Once bench cuts end, still
                  getting worked in. One section of off camber grass and roots was very slippery as clay sections on off camber made it
                  an instant slide down the hill sideways. Should be OK  once it is worked in and a line/ cut is developed.  Rode trail from
                  North to South and the climb out at the  end was easy in the granny gear.
South Abyss - best I have ever seen it. No erosion, perfect pack. Paver climbs are smooth.
Trails in fields - smooth, very small puddles in two areas. Trimmed  and fast to ride.
North East /North West -  good visibility on North East, West trail not trimmed back as far. Perfect pack, very little slide outs in
                    corners. Average speed through  these areas was a little higher than normal because the traction was so good. 
Main road in and out - small puddles in road, good pack.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 07:15:36 AM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Trail Conditions 10-30-07
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:28:15 AM »
North Abyss - ... Rode new bypass at double root climb towards the east end of trail.  Bypass was good, very easy down and out but still needs to be worked in. ...
Oh no....  Can you still take the line through those roots?  I have only made it those roots 2-3 times and still consider that section a work in progress for me.  Would like to conquer it more consistanly so hopefully the old line still there.  Was this planned or someone altering the trail to make it easier?

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:45:33 AM »
Thanks for the report. I have not been there in nearly 2 months. Where exactly is the bypass? Is it just an alternative to the last part of N. Abyss?
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:03:30 AM »
Thanks for the excellent report Ells.  Hope the bypass on North Abyss gets a lot of traffic to make it packed in.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 08:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the report. I have not been there in nearly 2 months. Where exactly is the bypass? Is it just an alternative to the last part of N. Abyss?

The bypass on North Abyss is where the straight up climb was with the big exposed roots and big oak tree that is on the left of the climb.  The line was moved to angle to the right to allow water to run off instead of down the climb in hopes of correcting erosion damage.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »
One section of off camber grass and roots was very slippery as clay sections on off camber made it an instant slide down the hill sideways. Should be OK  once it is worked in and a line/ cut is developed.
That section is gonna be great! When we got back there last weekend I thought I was back at the TOE.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »
North Abyss - ... Rode new bypass at double root climb towards the east end of trail.  Bypass was good, very easy down and out but still needs to be worked in. ...
Oh no....  Can you still take the line through those roots?  I have only made it those roots 2-3 times and still consider that section a work in progress for me.  Would like to conquer it more consistanly so hopefully the old line still there.  Was this planned or someone altering the trail to make it easier?

The reroute was put in because the rooty part going straight up is a constant point of maintenance.  We have been in there three or four times trying to fix it.  It keeps eroding because the rain runs straight down it.  The angled reroute will hopefully cause the water to run off instead of down the trail.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:37:36 PM by Garry »

Advertisement: