Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Mavic sealed bearings & freewheel - need lube  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Mavic sealed bearings & freewheel - need lube
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:03:21 AM »
I have the Crossmax SL wheels (2005).  Like others, I am now experiencing that loud noice as if something was rubbing the spokes when I coast at faster (12+ mph) speeds.  Specially if I tilt to turn.  I told Sean at Dauset that I thought it was the chain rubbing my tire.  I know now is inside the rear wheel hub (either bearings or the freewheel).

While checking with others, I was told there is a special oil I have to use to lube them.  They told me not to use regular grease on the ceramic bearings.   Does anyone know where I can buy this special oil?  Anyone have similar Mavic wheels or ceramic wheel bearings and how you lube them?

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Mavic sealed bearings & freewheel - need lube
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »
That loud noise isn't your bearings. The inside of the freehub is dirty and it's an easy fix. Check your email in a few minutes. I'll send you a PDF that describes the process.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 01:08:03 PM »
Harvey,
Thanks for the info.  I can't belive how easy it was to clean them.  I did loose one of those little tiny springs that hold the pawls to the freehub.  After extensive eye to the floor level search, I found it.  The cleaning took care of it.  I didn't have mineral oil so I use an extra dry chain lube (non petroleum based).  I no longer hear that squeal of death noise and my CrossMax SL's are back to working as champs.  I'll clean them more often from now on.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »
No problem! Glad it worked out and I've "been there, done that" with those springs.

There's no need to go too crazy with preventive cleanings. I just clean mine whenever the noise starts.

I'd also suggest getting the mineral oil and thoroughly cleaning them out before re-lubing. The dry lube might work fine, but better safe than sorry if improper lube causes the pawls to stick in the down position.

Advertisement: