Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Passion!  (Read 2565 times)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Passion!
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »
Obviously most of us are passionate about our mountain biking.  In a effort to get to know the forum members a little better I thought it would be cool to have a thread about what other things we are passionate about.
Me first.

Hockey.  I am a big hockey fan, in fact I dare say I am more passionate about hockey than I am about mountain biking.  I play on 3 ice hockey teams and I have season tickets to the lightning.

Food and drink.  Growing up I always wanted to be a chef.  I was going to go to the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) but soon realized that chefs almost always work weekends and holidays.  Bleh, not for me.  So now I just cook for the family.  I am an avid smoker and griller but I am not to shabby on the stove either.  I love beer and other libations.  In this category I include cigars.  Nothing tamps down a great meal like a fine cigar and an nice beer.

Those are my biggest passions but I am also an avid music fan and watcher of history programs on TV.  :P
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Passion!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 03:38:36 PM »
I have always had an affection for cars, old cars, new cars, slow cars and fast cars. The automobile for me represents freedom.

As a kid I was a BMX er. I see the bicycle as an extension of that freedom I just mentioned.

I grew up in Buffalo, New York. and was weened on early Punk Rock music (the sex pistols/Clash etc.) I really love all kinds of music.

Food and Drink, Huh? Those of you who know me personally can vouch for the fact that I like to eat! I enjoy all kinds, with a tendancy towards Italian, and Mexican.  I don't drink much but when I do, My old friend Jack Daniels and I hang out.

I am also interested in Politics/current events. I love to know what is going on in the world around me.

Also I love movies, mostly comedies, as well as Sienfeld, and The Office.

The thing that I am most passionate about is my family. My incredible wife, and my two great kids, Jacob 12, and Skyler 3(almost 4).

Great idea Sean! :)

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:02:48 PM »
I grew up doing BMX and skateboarding.That was enough until I discoversd cars! My dad turned me on to the classics so i drove a 55 chevy in high school and became a certified mechanic after high school. I still dabble in the autos and am restoring a 63 Impala SS right now. I also love percussion and have played in some punk bands. When I found mountain biking it made me feel like a kid again so I have stuck with it for the last 10 years. For the last three years a buddy of mine and myself went pretty hard into wakeboarding which is pretty fun but no mtb! Oh yeah I also like a good brew! And I will be up on that this weekend at Reddick! ;D

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:28:37 PM »
My true passion is nature photography.  I spend 99% of my time in the field in pursuit of birds, however I am trying to expand my horizons and develop a broader portfolio including other wildlife and scenic landscapes.

My other love is homemade BBQ.  I'm not talking grilled burgers and steaks, I'm talking 10 hours of low-and-slow-smoked ribs, pulled pork, and beef brisket.  I actually have a dream/goal of someday opening and running my own BBQ and blues joint.  I just need to figure out a way to come up with the ~$1 million in capital to do it the way I want to do it.  My plan is to start off with a small/part-time catering business and expand from there.  That is something that I could get going within the next few years, assuming I'm able to finish my dissertation next spring...Here are a few photos of previous cooks (I know I'm a schmuck for photographing my food, however I tried to a keep a log of my successes and failures, I've spent many long hours perfecting my recipes). 

Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »
My first one would be Jesus. And not in the mainstream kind of way. After being involved in various churches in a leadership position for about 8 years I broke away. Me and some other people began having simple meetings mostly outdoors and occasionally in homes. No money needed, and no top-down authority structure--just true family oriented, kids and adults together, building each other up. I love it. We have been doing that for about 6 years now.

Then of course my wife and kids--they are the best gifts ever!!

I really enjoy doing things for other people.

Nature--looking at it--being out in it--taking pic of it.

Skimboarding,bikes,mountainboarding,skateboarding, playing basketball, cars,

Mike Cole

Offline singletrackmind

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
There's life outside of mountain biking? :)
Green Cannondale Prophet.......Now minus the LEFTY....Gone! Soon to be Santa Cruz Blur LT

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:34:12 PM »
My first passion is sailing. I've had my own boat(s) since I was 15, though they've been broken now for about as long as they were operational. Life has never been as good as when my catamaran was working....

Jeeps came next- I needed a 4x4 to launch the catamaran on the beach without getting stuck. They turned out to be my downfall and I spent way too much time and $$$ fixing them up. Had I spent that money on my sailboats I'd be out cruising around the world today.

Photography- I like it, I'm decent at it, and I hope to eventually get to use it to photograph my travels.

Flying. I wish I was passionate about it, that would make school so much easier. Truth be told, I'm only going through helicopter pilot school for the paycheck at the end. Flying helicopters has been a dissapointingly boring endeavor.

Mountain Biking.... Between work and school, I was sitting on my butt all day and starting to gain weight. I took up biking solely as a means to get in control of that situation because I knew that doing something fun would keep me doing it. It's a blast and I really enjoy doing it, but I probably should have spent the money on fixing up my sailboats. The last thing I really needed was yet another hobby to sink what little money I have into.

Of course, if my Seafarer 24 was all fixed up... there is evey possibility I'd raise sail and leave the country and my debts in my wake. Some day...
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 06:29:21 AM »
Passion huh?  Well first and foremost is my Family,  I have a wonderful wife, and two beautiful children.  Since I was in high school one of my biggest passions was Paintball and going fast.  So I have played paintball for close to 14 years, and have been working on cars and motorcycles for about 7 years.  I love the thrill of going head to head with someone on the field, not knowing where the next shot is going to come from and whether you are going to get lucky enough to take out your target.  As far as going fast I got myself a BUELL XB9SX (989CC) torqe monster.  And of course mountain biking.  I love being out in the woods, reminds me a bit of my childhood. 
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline scubastud

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
'My son' - first and foremost I enjoy the presence of my son. We have a good little bond going even though he's only 3. Hopefully, he will be my buddy for life!! Words can't express the joys that children bring (well most of the time).

'Anything outdoors related, primarily camping'. I love the adventure that the outdoor brings.....not sure what's around the corner...not sure where wildlife is hiding, etc. I have many goals regarding places to see with many residing within the states. After our trip to the Grand Canyon & Zion Canyon, I have a deep calling to head out west for future vacations.

'Mountain biking'.......it started off as something done to lose weight but it's turned into a passion. Something I think about often.....I'm always wondering when my next ride will come. It's fun, great for you, and you're in touch with nature.

'Scuba diving'. Although I haven't done much as of late, I've logged many dives in the Caribbean, Pacific, GOM, Atlantic Ocean and various underwater springs. Theres a peaceful connection with the underworld that's hard to explain unless you've tried it. Even more so when doing night dives.

'Landscaping' - I love planting trees/plants around my house. I love the tropical look so I've spent hours reshaping the flora of my yard. Learning the characteristics of plants and trees is something I'm passionate about.

'Photography' - Coming from a family with two professional photographers, this seemed natural. Although I've slowed since the digital wave came thru, I still enjoy an outing solely with the intention of photographing a particular nature scene or environment.

"Life is short so break the rules and never regret anything that made you smile..."

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 07:17:47 AM »
Family first. Then Mountain biking. I also love hiking and the mountains. I read a lot. I enjoy reading about history and current events and local politics. I also watch a bunch of football. Bucs and F.S.U. I put a lot of time into work and other enviromental issues. I'm a pretty boring dude.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 01:05:38 PM »
Thats easy, I'm passionate about be active and being with friends. I have fun doing everything from Mountain biking to hanging out at the beach or playing paintball.

As far as food goes, I love the basics. Meat, whole chickens with lime rub, Ribs in a smoker for hours or on the bbq for half and hour, Steak  in any shape or cut with any seasoning. I've grown up mostly on Mexican and Italian food, but Chinese is a flat out addiction. An addiction that I have yet to find a good fix of here. :'( I am a decent cook, I enjoy making stuff, anything from lemon chicken to Navy Bean soup on a cold day.

I'm pretty passionate about breathing too.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 03:02:15 PM »
Food would def be on my list too. But I have actually tried to tone it down a bit in my life. Not that I have had a weight prob or anything like that. It is just that I look at my parents and other people I know and they are so food driven in life that it practically is life. I don't like the feeling that I am being mastered by anything--so to speak.

Plus I have tried to learn to me more content with whatever I can get. I don't like the idea of always raising my standards so that I end up on a new level. I have found that actually "lowering" my standards in some ways, actually is more rewarding in other ways. And I don't just mean with food but in many avenues of life.
Mike Cole

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 05:53:10 PM »
Jersh- That food looked unbelievable. Your either a good cook or a good photographer maybe both cause that made me hungry.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 10:38:40 AM »
yeah seriously--I want some of that BBQ!
Mike Cole

Offline ECFoecking

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 07:58:59 AM »
I looked at the BBQ and felt myself turn into one of those pictures of Homer Simpson with the glazed look thinking of donuts and drooling over himself.  Good luck!

I am new (again) to being on a bike so I can't exactly claim that as a passion but am keen for the exercise (need good cardio) and have enjoyed the challenge of the off road rides I have done in the past. 

The passions in my life are hands down my wife (current) and children (even though they are all grown they are always your kids) with racquetball being a very close second.  I also love automobile racing (Formula 1 and most sports car racing) and enjoy cooking and wine.
Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely

Advertisement: