Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Gran Canyon coming back?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Gran Canyon coming back?
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:51:57 AM »
Found this information on the FLAMTBErs forum.  Some of you remember Gran Canyon - not too far from Croom #3.  Looks it's coming back!

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: One door closes and the Gran Canyon opens wide!!!

I (RRMBA) was contacted by Hernando Co a time ago to be part of this exciting new project and I have been talking with the powers that be along the way and we are getting closer and they told me it was ok to let the cat out of the bag and spread the word.
Thatís right!! The rumors are true. The wheels are in motion to bring Gran Canyon back. Of course we need support from the cycling
community to get involved to help bring back one of the best trails in Florida. As many may recall the Gran Canyon is where it all started in the mid 80ís and some of the first MTB races in Fl were held there.
Hernando County has moved forward in looking at options for
obtaining the land and implementing a MTB park which will include XC trails as well as a Free Ride and Dirt Jump area.

How can you help???
For now we need everyone in the cycling community to let Hernando County know of our enthusiasm and impact of the reopening as well as the draw of mountain bikers to the area.

Please send an email with your
support to: StevenD@Hernandocounty.us
If your invloved in a club let em know.

Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
Re: Gran Canyon coming back?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:57:21 PM »
That's really good to hear. I'll help where ever I can.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Red Trail Racing

• Associate
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:04:12 AM »
Thanks for posting that Garry.
I also passed out fliers at Razor Back yesterday (While in tears).
This post already had over 50 lurks. Hopefully they also sent that email.
 :)

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »
E-mail sent!
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »
Just sent my e-mail.  I never rode the original Gran Canyon.  I just started riding close to a year ago.  How was the original?
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 12:24:06 PM »
E-mail sent. from work e-mail (mine) and home (wife). Hope it will work out. Good Luck

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
How was the original?
Very, very challenging terrain. Take the biggest pits at Croom, put them on steroids, and ride them over and over.  :)  It was almost 6 miles in its heyday and I'm sure it could be more with come creative trail engineering.

Even if you don't care about freeriding and technical trails, please send an email! After losing my two favorite trails this year, I've decided the private land trail model sucks. What we have here is a munincipality wanting to open a park for mountain bikers, but they want our help and support. This is exactly how things got started at Alafia and Boyette. Good things will come from it. 8)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 02:30:49 PM »
Sent my email ;D

scooter

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 07:47:45 PM »
Email sent assuring Steven of SWAMPS full support in what ever capacity that may be :)

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 07:59:19 AM »
I sent my emai a couple of weeks ago.  I never got to ride the TOE  :( and Razorback was one of my favorite trails.  Then there was hardrock years ago  :( ...... I'll due whatever I can to open and keep open some more technical and aggressive riding areas.  Don't get me wrong, the trails we have here are phenomenal, but more variety is always better, and we are somewhat limited in what we can do here.  LEt's just make sure we keep the users educated and respectful of what we have once it's open, wo that we can keep it open (read: the TOE).  Contrary to what I have seen posted, it has been my understanding from those most involved in maintaning the TOE, that it's not the freeriders and the stunts that lead to the closure, it was those who had not paid dues and signed waivers, and were disrespectful (and at times pretty nasty) to the owner when confronted by him, that ultimately lead to the closure.  Now, I'm sure there may have been other factors.

What's done is done, and all I'm saying is let's learn from it as a community, and keep this one alive!! ;D
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 05:25:48 AM »
I sent an e-mail, too.  Hopefully, they'll be successful in bringing it back.  It would be nice to ride the "toilet bowl" section again!
Rick

Advertisement: