Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Last ride at Reddick  (Read 2649 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Last ride at Reddick
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:05:57 AM »
  How was everyones last trip around our finest single track? Our crew all showed up saturday late morning and set up camp. once we were set we went for a lap. Later that night sweetness and I geared up and set out on a drunken night ride, and that was alot of fun! The rest of the night we sat around the fire shooting the shizzle and managed to walk to the main arena and watch the drunken bicycle wrestling. Good carnage! Sunday morning came and once again sweetness and I headedut on our final lap so I just cruised it and tried to take it all in.  The trails pack and the weather conditions were the best I have ever seen there, which made parting our ways even that much harder to take. Farewell Reddick I hope we will meet again! :(

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Last ride at Reddick
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:44:37 AM »
I made it up on Saturday right around 9am and put in 2 good laps and then called it a day.  The trails were in some of the best shape ever.  It was nice getting one last crack at the climb up to Big Gulp (never made it  :( ), going down Triple Dipper, going through the various tree slalom sections, etc...

Razorback will be missed but hopefully GoneRiding will find a new home and then we have some promising news of Gran Canyon re-opening.  Now if we could only reclaim Hardrock...
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »
I rode there Friday for the 1st time. It was amazing. All the factors that go into a good ride were there. The weather was perfect, the trails were outstanding and my bike had no problems. I felt out of shape though. There were 2 climbs I did not make. I know I will make them next time I'm there though.....  Noooooooo! :(
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:40:40 AM »
Two buddies and I went Sunday for a lap. It was my first time there. Some of the drops were unbelieveable. They make Big Drop look like a bunny hill. Some of the climbs were just way out of my league. The terrain was so unlike Florida. The views atop those hills are spectacular. What an amazing complex they had there. Now I'm going to have to "settle" for Boyette and Alafia after riding Razorback ! Unfortunately money talks and MTBRs walk. :( 
Bill

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:11:12 PM »
Treadlight met my buddy Dan and I on Saturday morning there.  It was my first time around that place.  I wish I had made the trip a lot earlier!  The conditions were spectacular, and the ride was even better!  Razorback made me climb harder and descend better than I ever have.  The terrain and views in some of the clearings were breathtaking.  You really didn't feel like you were in Florida with the occasional rock face to the side of the trail.  What a great trail!!  It will be missed. :'(
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 12:17:44 PM »
Two buddies and I went Sunday for a lap. It was my first time there. Some of the drops were unbelieveable. They make Big Drop look like a bunny hill. Some of the climbs were just way out of my league. The terrain was so unlike Florida. The views atop those hills are spectacular. What an amazing complex they had there. Now I'm going to have to "settle" for Boyette and Alafia after riding Razorback ! Unfortunately money talks and MTBRs walk. :( 
Settle? I know Razorback kicked arse and it will be missed, but don't sell Alafia and Boyette short. Each site has something unique to offer. A lot of effort goes into these trails and I love them all in different ways. I feel lucky to have them. :)

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
Alafia has gotten even better with all the new stuff!  Especially Bridges!  I can't wait to ride the new stuff out at Boyette.  Props to everyone involved on constantly improving our great trails.  Even though Reddick is gone, we've got plenty of challenging trails here.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
Alafia has gotten even better with all the new stuff!  Especially Bridges!  I can't wait to ride the new stuff out at Boyette.  Props to everyone involved on constantly improving our great trails.  Even though Reddick is gone, we've got plenty of challenging trails here.
I was at Boyette yesterday. It was great. We need to ride agaain Jim.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 01:14:26 PM »
Yes we do.  We'll have to set something up soon.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »
What a fitting way to commemorate the end of an era. The temps dropped to where we needed campfires for something other than keeping the bugs away. The trails were in amazing shape. The final parade lap was a magical experience. I savored every piece of dirt that slid under my tires. I cleaned every section of the trail - including the climb up to Big Gulp. I wanted to just keep riding it forever, but I also wanted my last memory of Razorback to be that incredible last lap, so I called it a day and packed up one last time.

Think bikes don't grow in trees? Look here... ;D

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 03:53:41 PM »
Good stuff Harvey.  That place was "magical".

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 04:07:25 PM »
Good stuff Harvey. That place was something else. I can tell it had special meaning to you. Glad it ended so well. That will make the memory even better.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 04:25:57 PM »
Nice to know the trail system even for a short time. Big gulp climb is doable if after the climb the parking lot is 10 feet away. ;D

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »
What a fitting way to commemorate the end of an era. The temps dropped to where we needed campfires for something other than keeping the bugs away. The trails were in amazing shape. The final parade lap was a magical experience. I savored every piece of dirt that slid under my tires. I cleaned every section of the trail - including the climb up to Big Gulp. I wanted to just keep riding it forever, but I also wanted my last memory of Razorback to be that incredible last lap, so I called it a day and packed up one last time.

Think bikes don't grow in trees? Look here... ;D

Damn Harv, it gaves me goosebumps reading your blog about the last lap. Thanks for sharing.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »
I rolled in Saturday afternoon and parked next to Nikki, across the 2-track from Jimbo. They must have been out riding because no-one was in sight. I geared up and hit the trail for the first time, and what a time it was! I fell in behind some people here-and-there, but rode a lot of it alone. I had an absolute blast, and was looking forwards to doing a second lap with some SWAMPers. However, when I got back to the parking lot all the SWAMP cars were gone. I chilled for an hour or so and went out for Lap #2, making sure to make it up/down/over anything that had stopped me the first time. The climb up to Big Gulp I never made. I was generally sucking wind so bad by the time I got to the base of that climb that I was all too happy to get off the bike and walk up. Right at Big Gulp I fell in with someone more familiar with the trails, and we took off at a faster pace trying to get off the trail before darkness set in. He would pull away from me and I would reel him back in on the climbs. Then it got too dark for my comfort level so I slowed down considerably. I got passed by a few night riders before I finally made my way back to my truck (parked right outside the coned-off area for the bonfire!).

After rinsing off and changing clothes I ate my sub and hung out by the fire. They had some speeches, some cake, and general BSing that happens around every campfire. I overheard some people talking about broken chains, and found out that they had come up from (someplace near Miami) with their 14 y/o son who was just getting into MTB, but his chain had already broken twice that day. I told them that he could ride my spare bike (F600) Sunday morning until the Santos Bike Shop opened.

Then the games of "knockdown" started- what Chiselchest called bicycle wrestling. Basically, about a dozen people would ride around in the coned-off area and try to knock each other off their bike, or at least make them put a foot down. The preffered method seemd to be to race past the person, then turn sideways in front of them and do a trackstand to block their way. Or, just grab their front brake when they weren't looking :D I pulled out the F600 and joined in the festivities and leared a LOT about balance. Even managed to win a couple rounds (it was a BLAST).

I spent the night (morning) shivering in the cab of my truck until I finally fell asleep. Miles, the kid who was borrowing the F600, woke me around 7:30 and we hit the trail sometime around 8. He's only been biking a few months but he rode extremely well, especially considering he was on an unfamiliar (HT) bike at a relatively unfamiliar trail. I got some footage of him coming down Big Gulp on his cell-phone video-cam. We rode the trail in about 2 hours or so. I'd like to add that his parents were ecstatic about the friendliness of the MTB community. Everyone they talked to left a positive impression on them, and I wouldn't be surprised to find them out riding the trails as well in the near future.

It was really an amazing weekend
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Advertisement: