Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Safe at Croom  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Safe at Croom
« on: November 07, 2007, 02:21:52 PM »
Hello -- My wife has talked me into the Croom 35/50 event. I've been there a couple of times, but I stuck mostly to the yellow and red tracks, with some of the blue. Can anyone tell me when it is safe to ride at Croom again? I like the thrill of riding but taking a load of buckshot in the noggin isn't my idea of thrilling. Hunting season appears to go on for several months.

Also, on race day I assume the event starts near the parking lot at the fire lookout. What's the general route from there? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

Much appreciated.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Safe at Croom
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »
Hello -- My wife has talked me into the Croom 35/50 event. I've been there a couple of times, but I stuck mostly to the yellow and red tracks, with some of the blue. Can anyone tell me when it is safe to ride at Croom again? I like the thrill of riding but taking a load of buckshot in the noggin isn't my idea of thrilling. Hunting season appears to go on for several months.

Also, on race day I assume the event starts near the parking lot at the fire lookout. What's the general route from there? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

Much appreciated.

http://askit.myfwc.com/cgi-bin/myfwc.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=1883&p_created=1127487280

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:35:59 AM »

As to when is safe... Check the SWAMP calendar.  I been at CROOM in between hunting seasons when is okay to ride there.  But I always see a hunter with gun at hand or hear gun shots.  Just wear bright clothes and make a lot of noise.  Expect most trail signs to be gone since hunters may have used them for target practice.

Croom 35/50:  This doesn't change much from year to year.  We start at parking lot #3 (by fire tower/ranger's house).  Go south down Tucker Hill on yellow toward clay pits.  (counterclockwise) Take red trail to clay pit.  Stay on red over to blue (southern most along Forest Road 10).  Follow blue to parking lot#1.  Stay on blue going north to 12 mile bail out.  Continue on blue west to sugar hill.  When you come to red bail out between Forest roads 7 and 5, take red bail out to yellow loop.  Go west on yellow and back to parking lot #3.  (35 Miler)

For 50 miler, do not take the red bail out to yellow.  Instead, stay on blue southeastern bound.  Follow all the way until it intersects Croom Road.  Go across Croom road on Blue all the way to the red trail by Forest Road 9 and 10.  Take red trail north to green bail out to go back too Croom Road.  Follow Croom road almost to parking lot #2.  Take Yellow loop trail northwestern.  Do all of yellow and finish to back up to Parking lot #3.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:38:30 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:20:26 AM »
Is there another place to check the Croom 35/50 event info? I looked on the Swamp page and calendar, but I didn't find it. Thx!
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:08:20 AM »
Nice course description SandPine! Wanna mark the course for me this year? ;)

Deer season runs until December 2. Don't go there. After that it's small game season until March or April, but it's not a big deal riding there after the deer hunters are gone. Just wear bright colors.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:58:04 PM »
Is there another place to check the Croom 35/50 event info?

http://www.swampclub.org/croom35_50.htm

Nice course description SandPine! Wanna mark the course for me this year? ;)

No wonder we got lost....   ;D  J/K...  You hung the some signs the weekend before and after rains during the week, you went out again the Friday before to check them.  In top of it, rode the course the next day with Fontana again.  Wow...You are one of the unknown heros of the event.

Count me in.  I am game for the weekend before.  I can probably help the Friday before but only if I can get it off from work.  Just don't send me Friday to do 30+ miles of markings.  I do want to finish all 50 the next day.  If not before, I'll at least try to help Sunday for taking down the signs. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:06:58 PM by MrSandPine »

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 01:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the info. Mapping out the route brought home just how long 50 miles really is. Gulp!

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 10:17:35 AM »
I ride there everyday--even in this hunting season. According to Bob W. it is ok this year to ride during hunting season.
So I have been doing it with no problems. Just ride between 10am-2pm and wear orange if you want to be extra safe.
Mike Cole

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »
This weekend there have been quite a few hunters out there but I haven't had any problems.

Just don't go out there in those tight shorts--they don't take kindly to that!! ;D
Mike Cole

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 01:57:18 PM »
What if they are orange shorts? ;)

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »
No, that will give them an easier target! Camo tighties only--for safety. ;)
Mike Cole

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
I knew I bought those camo baggies for some reason other than I liked them!
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »
Does anyone have any info on the camping grounds at Croom? I was wondering about availability and space. Thought about maybe taking the family up there for a toned downed camping version and if anyone one else was camping there.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 09:56:18 PM »
I think Noble will let you and the family stay at his place. :)

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 10:21:29 AM »
Sure, come on over anytime. I live about 3 blocks from Croom.
Mike Cole

Advertisement: