Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Shingles  (Read 3426 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Shingles
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:47:48 AM »
Ugh - I have been out since last wednesday with shingles.  If any of you have had them before you know how much this sucks.  i hope I can get back on a bike in the next couple of weeks or so.

:'(

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Shingles
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:03:15 AM »
Does your wife know yet that you have Herpes?   :)  Is that the same thing?  Take care can come back soon.

From Mayoclinic.com:
Shingles is a viral infection that causes a painful rash. Also known as herpes zoster, it often appears as a band of blisters that wraps from the middle of your back around one side of your chest to your breastbone. Other parts of your body can be involved as well, including your neck, face or scalp.

Yikes!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:05:52 AM »
It is basically the chicken pox revenge...which chicken pox are a form of herpes...so in a sense you are right. 

here is the official stuff:

Shingles is a skin rash caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. The virus responsible for these conditions is called Varicella zoster. After an individual has chickenpox, this virus lives in the nerves and is never fully cleared from the body. Under certain circumstances, such as emotional stress, immune deficiency (from AIDS or chemotherapy) or with cancer, the virus re-activates causing shingles. In most cases, however, a cause for the reactivation of the virus is never found. The herpes virus that causes shingles and chicken pox is not the same as the herpes virus that causes genital herpes (which can be sexually transmitted) and herpes mouth sores. Shingles is medically termed Herpes zoster.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:19:23 AM »
Ugh - I have been out since last wednesday with shingles.  If any of you have had them before you know how much this sucks.  i hope I can get back on a bike in the next couple of weeks or so.

:'(
I think you need to replace them every 30 years, is it asphalt shingles? JK ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34:10 AM »
I've had shingles before and they SUCK.  So you were riding with them on Saturday at the Ironman?  When I had them, they presented at the base of my neck, directly centered along my spine.  It was a big blob of red welts about the size of a half-dollar...  They were itchy but not horrible, however my entire upper back and lower neck was in pain.  Mine were definately stress induced, I was going through a lot of crap at the time...

As already mentioned, they are caused by the same virus as chicken pox.  From what I understand, the virus will lay dormant in your spinal fluid and then can basically reactive itself when you get super stressed out.  The virus then propagates along the nerve until it makes its way to the surface and that's where the rash will present.  The pain can be quite severe b/c the nerve that is involved can become very inflamed.  The pain can last for several weeks to as long as a couple months AFTER the rash disappears.  If the pain persists it can be treated with Neurontin.  Shingles are treated with Valtrex, the same stuff that's used to treat genital herpes.  Mercifully it's a different dosage so at least the people in the Rx will know that you're getting the Valtrex to treat shingles...I still felt like a dirty-bird when I had to walk into Walgreens and get my script filled, after all it's all about suppression! 
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 09:36:57 AM »
WEIRD.. when I typed in "pharmacie" in my previous post, it got replaced with "Forget It I Am Spam".... I had to put Rx instead, I tried editing it twice.  I had to misspell it here b/c it was doing the same thing

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:44:43 AM »
I thought i was having an allergic reaction during the ironman - yes - i road with it then.  it sucks and i hope that it is a matter of weeks of pain rather than months....yikes

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 09:49:15 AM »
My pain lasted about two weeks after the rash disappeared.  Did they put you on Valtrex?  My rash started drying up and itching less about 72 hours after my first dose and was gone within about a week or 10 days, I don't remember for sure. 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 09:50:26 AM »
That's because almost all emails with "farm a cee" in it is spam.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 09:58:04 AM »
My pain lasted about two weeks after the rash disappeared.  Did they put you on Valtrex?  My rash started drying up and itching less about 72 hours after my first dose and was gone within about a week or 10 days, I don't remember for sure. 

They gave me Valtrex and the rash is starting to go away...it is scabbing up in spots now and itching on top of the nerve pain.  But the patches are getting smaller.  It starts from the middle of my back at my spine and goes under my armpit and around to the middle of my chest.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:44:40 AM »
Bummer, I hope it heals up quick for you.

Every time I get injured it always helps me think about things that I normally wouldn't have, which is good.
Mike Cole

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »
 Wow!!!  That sucks Johnathon.............. :(

Offline Ogalthorpe

• First Bike
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »
Sorry to hear, had the shingles about 3 months ago. I was told it was brought on by stress or training too hard most likely. I was put on Valtrex which may of helped but the pain was unreal. Hope you feel better soon take is easy though.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 04:06:33 PM »
I have a very high threshold for pain...this crap is rediculous

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 04:22:31 PM »
Sorry about the shingles Factor. I got a good laugh about replacing your shingles every ten years though. If I had known you were doing the Ironman i would have come and watched. I had a lot of running around to do that day and wanted to ride up and see the action or help out with the Chainwheel drive crew. the course went right by the Publix my wifes a manager at.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Advertisement: