Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Great Ride Today ! Only 1 broken bone !  (Read 3138 times)

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
Great Ride Today ! Only 1 broken bone !
« on: November 17, 2007, 04:53:37 PM »
After riding all the blues, blacks, and big drop a bunch of times I decided to end my ride today by breaking at least my middle toe on my left foot on Golf Cart. There is a section where you can air over three big roots and when I landed my foot got caught between a root and my pedal. I was able to manage a 25 minute limp to the double track. I called 911 but they couldn't figure out how to contact the ranger station and send them to get me so I rode with my left heel on the pedal all the way back to the car. The only tricky part was dismounting the bike on the climb just after the bridge to Lochness. And if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all because this morning I went to start my Jetta and the transmission control unit failed and my other car a Corrado, is a manual with a sport clutch ! And I just started a new job at a VW dealer and the health insurance doesn't kick in for 90 days and since I can't walk then it's going to be hard to work. Ugh, can't wait to get back on the bike though ! :)   
Bill

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Great Ride Today ! Only 1 broken bone !
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your injury. That really sucks! Heal well. 

Would this be a bad time to make sure everyone knows that I am an Aflac agent???   I don't want to be an ambulance chaser, but this is an example that Aflac would have come in handy.

Corrado, it is too late for this incident, but check with your HR person,don't just ask your manager, they may not know. Many car dealerships offer it to there employees. Which dealership do you work at?

Offline jcoats

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 09:44:47 PM »
911 for a broken toe?

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:11:10 PM »
911 for a broken toe?

Not for the toe, for the 5 mile ride to the car. :) They called me back after 20 minutes and said they couldn't figure out how to get someone out there without sending fire rescue so I decided to ride it out. 
Bill

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 10:31:47 PM »
911 Taxi service. ;D
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:33:59 PM »
This might be a good opportunity for us to figure out what the right thing to do in a situation like this (or one much worse).  I myself ride out at Boyette all alone quite often, and wonder what I would do if I injured myself too severely to ride back out to the car.

So what ought to be done?  Is there a way to call the preserve guardians and have them come to assist?  I believe this is what it says to do in the pink flyer at the Boyette trailhead, but maybe we should make the number more widely available to make sure that the lone rangers know how to keep themselves safe.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 07:24:15 AM »
This might be a good opportunity for us to figure out what the right thing to do in a situation like this (or one much worse).  I myself ride out at Boyette all alone quite often, and wonder what I would do if I injured myself too severely to ride back out to the car.

So what ought to be done?  Is there a way to call the preserve guardians and have them come to assist?  I believe this is what it says to do in the pink flyer at the Boyette trailhead, but maybe we should make the number more widely available to make sure that the lone rangers know how to keep themselves safe.

The Parks and Recreation Department field office for Balm-Boyette goes by normal business hours, so on weekends there isn't a number to contact them as far as I know of today.  During the week the number is (813) 672-7876.  I will get with the manager this coming week and see if I can get a number to call on weekends or after hours and post it here for everyone.  As I understood it before EMT was supposed to have gate access and a map of the place in case of emergency.  This should be the case and I will ask for that as well if it is not.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 07:30:56 AM »
911 for a broken toe?

Not for the toe, for the 5 mile ride to the car. :) They called me back after 20 minutes and said they couldn't figure out how to get someone out there without sending fire rescue so I decided to ride it out. 

Okay, that's the answer then.  They would have sent Fire Rescue, but since it wasn't that serious, I guess(?), then they left you with the option of making it out on your own or sending Fire Rescue.  It isn't like Alafia and Morris Bridge where rangers are there when we're riding.  Even still, people have ridden out or walked with broken bikes, arms, dislocated shoulders, broken noses and the like.  Welcome to the fun side of mountain biking!  :-)

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 07:50:46 AM »
How about a flare gun?,(no, it would probably start a fire and guns aren't allowed in state parks),smoke signals( nope, can't build fires there either),Distress flags ( not practical), maybe we could figure a way to screw a air horn on our inflators, kinda like they use in boats. All kidding aside, that's where a cell phone would come in handy. I ride by myself alot also and don't carry one either. It just doesn't seem right being in the woods, nature and all. I've told this story before but I was at Santos with Kenny and Savannah,13 and 14 now,12 and 11 then. Savannah crashed pretty hard at the first pit and tried to stick it out and rode to the second pit. It was their fist time there and they wanted to see the play area. Shortly after arriving there she went into first stage shock. Luckily, with a little medical background I recognized it and started heading back. By the time we got to the crossroad I realized she wasn't going to be able to ride back to the trailhead. Tried to flag down a passing vehicle and four went by before a truck stopped and gace us a ride back to the trailhead. After some fluids and a blanket she came around and was allright. I always carry a phone with me when I ride with the kids now, but rarely take one when by myself. Guess I should rethink that one. Sorry about the car, guess the punch buggy punched back. Couldn't help myself. bad humor.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:20:16 AM »
...Shortly after arriving there she went into first stage shock. ..
Ken, out of curiosity, what where her symptoms?

BadAssC,
I hope you heal fast.  If you are going to ride alone, I can only suggest to carry a cell phone.  I hope you know of others who know their way in the park.  Hopefully, you are not injured severily that you can't make a call and have signal out there.  I carry the phone # of certain SWAMP people that know the gate combination.  I hope I never have to call them and ask them to give to me so I can drive in there and pull someone out.  But if I have to, I will.

I've also given my wife phone numbers of friends within SWAMP that will know how to get to where I am.  If they can't come to rescue me, they would at least give her direcctions on how to go find me if I don't come home by the time I told her I was going to be back.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:28:12 AM »
Mr. Sandpine, After she crashed she seemed fine, just a little banged up, but she wanted to try to make it to the  play pit. When we were almost there she started complaining of some increased pain. by the time we got there she was feeling nausuea and weekness followed with cool clammy skin to the touch (it was during the summer and me and my son were sweating bullets)which progressed to slight shivering. In short, nausea, cool clammy skin, weakness, possible dissorientation, and shivers. I have no doubt she was borderline 2nd stage by the time we got back to the truck, but blankets, fluids, and keeping her calm did the trick. All these symptoms are common after a strong contusion or impact and or broken bones( ask Gregg ). Shock can also be brought on by the stress of the injury. We had a lady at a baseball game take a line drive shot to her face and broke her nose. The impact had flattened it flush against the front side of her cheek. Lot's of blood and trauma. Her husband had gone to the bathroom and concession stand and was absent for all the incident. We had her stabilized and were waiting the EMS when her hubby showed up. He was obviously concerned, and the first thing he said was" Honey, there's so much blood and your nose is underneath our eye!!" At this point she proceeded to go into full blown stage two shock, shaking, sweating, puking and passing out. Anytime any one has an injury and has possible shock you need to get them to the ground to prevent further injury by falling, assure them that they will be okay no matter what the extent of the injury, call 911 in there is any question of their condition, make sure they stay on the ground laying down with the head slightly elevated and ready to turn them on their side (referred to as the recovery position) in case they get sick or vomit so they don't choke on it. Once stabilized do an injury assesment by visually looking at their body for body parts out of place or misalined (Gregg!), cuts, abrasions, etc. First stage shock can quickly proceed to 2nd or 3rd stage if not handled correctly. Such as the husband mentioned above. His dialouge, without meaning to, he was just speaking without thinking, went from stabile o an emergency in less than 10 seconds. Whew, getting my daughter back out to the trailhead was another story. We actually used her bike to transport her to the street you cross to get to the pit. We sat her on the bike, me and my son stood on either side of her bike just behind the handle bars. She grabbed ahold of our Camelbacks and shoulders while we put our handson the stems of our bikes and the other ones on the stem of her bike and rolled her and our bikes out at the same time. The bike actually became the stretcher and we were able to get her to the road quicker than if I had to carry her.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »
Broken toe--no offence but I would be ashamed to call 911 for that ;D 

Work shouldn't be that bad, I think you can tough it out.

I didn't know they could do anything at a hospital for a broken toe. Don't you just tape up the way it should go and let it be? That is what I always did anyway--maybe that is why I have crooked toes and fingers! ;D

Seriously though--hope it heals up fast for you. That getting caught in the root deal sounds painful. I almost had that same thing happen one day.

Mike Cole

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 06:22:10 PM »
Well until I could get back to the car to survey the damage I wasn't sure what was broken. I managed to catch not only my toes but half way up my foot too. I didn't call 911 to come airlift me out I called them only after I exhausted all efforts to have someone come and get me and even then I told them I only wanted them to send the ranger with the truck to get me back to the parking lot. When they called back 25 mins later they told me the only option was to send fire rescue which by that time I had already managed to get back on the bike and ride out so I refused.

I did get sent home from work today. I can't come back until I'm healed. :( Nothing worse than being stuck at home, can't work, can't ride. :(   
Bill

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
Actually for shock First Aid calls for you to elevate the injured person's legs by 8 to 10 inches. This will increase blood flow to essential organs.

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 07:54:10 PM »
The "essential organ" generly works best when elevated:)
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

Advertisement: