SWAMP Community Forums
June 23, 2008, 03:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Boyette Scrub Trail Map available to SWAMP Mountain Bike Club members.  Check the Trail Maps section.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 Hrs of Squiggy - 2008  (Read 5111 times)
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 09:46:02 AM »

Two or three is a team.  I could ask Jacob if he wants to do it.

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Chip
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 09:32:58 PM »

This Squiggy run sounds like fun.  I think that it would give me a good goal to work towards.  I talked to my wife about it tonight and she is scared about the idea of me racing.  It isnt so much a race as a good time right?  I mean, if i enter and dont finish, say i complete four of the eight loops, would it cause trouble?  If i ride within myself and get passed alot am I going to piss people off?  I'm not sure i would be good on a team, i would try to go solo.  I love the idea of having an event to train for and it gives me a big red X on the calander to keep me busting my tail.  Let me know what you think guys, so I can stay in the good graces of the Mrs.   Grin

Cheers,
Chip 

Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.
scooter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 11:05:40 PM »

Hey Chip, this race format is all about the individual. Some people may only copmplete a couple laps and some of the more hardy riders may complete a dozen. Don't concern yourself with others ability. I think your idea of using this as a way to motivate yourself to work at getting stronger is dead on so GO FOR IT! Hope to see ya there. Smiley
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 06:28:06 AM »

My 13 yr old son and 12 yr.old daughter did it last year Scooter and I felt the same. More worried about the kids than me but still concerned. It's a great time and everyone is very supportive, and just go out and have fun. We tried it and ended up finishing 6th or 7th. The support and cheering is the at both the cyclocross race, triathilons, and Squiggy also. I'd bet it's the same in other forms of bike racing also.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 06:57:46 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly! The Squiggy event is a great event. It really is what you make of it, but I would say that more than 3/4 of the people there are really just there to see what they can do.

I say go for it too!  You might want to consider finding a team. Six hours on a bike is a long time. Especaially for a relative newbie.

Gregg

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 07:22:18 AM »

The only tough part was that set of roots on "Heartbreak Ridge". That took down a few people.

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 07:25:34 AM »

Gregg, I noticed I went from a Clipless Mountain Goat to a Cycling Sherpa. DOes that ean I'm a dog? No that's a Sharpe(spelling?). What the hecks a Sherpa?

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 07:49:14 AM »

Well, it is about having a good time in a race.  Who doesn't race to win or at least do a personal best?  You can do as much or as little as you wish.  There are no point standings and it doesn't count towards any other races, but it is a good opportunity to see if it is something that you would like to do.  I have found that in races all but one or two people seem to be courteous on the trail to slower riders and are good at announcing their intention to pass a slower or inexperienced rider.  It's a fun time and a lot of cheering from folks on the sideline helps too.  Go ahead, have fun with it; train for it; and enjoy it for what it is.  Life is short - do the things that you want to make it memorable to you.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

vVery well put Garry!!

chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »

I think we will come out for this one this year! Team or solo?  may go solo? Undecided
Chip
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 09:26:25 PM »

Well I am sold on the idea then.  Thank you everyone for all the advice.  I will enter and see what happens.  I am sure I will see some of you guys soon and we can discuss this further.  Thanks again.

Chip

Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 08:08:33 AM »

Chip,
The first time I did it, I had only been riding for a few months.  It was my first race in any format.  I did it as a team since I knew I couldn't be on the bike that long.  I just wanted to get two or three laps in and do a good time.  I am glad I did it with a team for the first time.  It allowed me to see what goes on in the pits and had a lot of fun hanging out by the parking lot.  Doing it solo, you miss all the gathering that goes on at hte parking lot.  You also dn't get to expectate others and see how they switch laps and ready for their turn.  I recommend you try it with a team.  YOu will still get at least two laps in.  There will be many more people looking for teams as the dates gets closer.  You can always send an email to SWAMP newsgroup or Jualianne and others will come out.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:10:35 AM by MrSandPine » Logged

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 08:30:49 AM »

We had a ball last year. It was my first race on a Mountain bike, as was it for my kids also. We had done the Citrus city Cyclocross series the past four years, and will again this year. Gave all of us a chance to see what we could do off road. We loved and our goal this year is to get in 7 laps if not 8.

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »

i am going to race begginer clyde 6 hour solo

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »

I'd like to try that, but both my older kids13 and 14 , want to do the race also. Maybe they should do a two person coed and I could do solo. We'll see. I didn't realioze they had a clyde for the Squiggy. Isn't that over 200?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: