Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hiittng the Wall  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Hiittng the Wall
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
I'm looking for a little input on how to keep from bonking on training rides. I'm riding pretty much 5-6 days a week with those rides being from 35-65 miles on the road, and 17-28 off-road, and increasing. On back to back days I start dragging about  the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the ride, typically about the 45 mark after a 60 the day before and etc, for example. I'm hydrating well with water and Cytomax and PowerBar mixes, eating goos, and energy bars. I'm sleeping fairly well ( when my Wife doesn't snore), usually 6-8ish hours a night. Eating a decent breakfast egg sandwich or turkey sandwich, salad for lunch and a not too large but decent dinner. I feel stronger as I increase my ride mileage, doing almost all the rides non stop except for refilling the water bottles. i even carry ziplocks with drink mix powder in it to mix on the ride. I also do general exercise, crunches, push-ups, curls and presses, every other day. Wondering if i need more rest time inbetween rides? Any thiughts?
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Hiittng the Wall
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 07:04:16 AM »
Recovery is one of the biggest factors in training. So that could be the case. Thats alot of time on the bike your logging.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 07:10:56 AM »
I kinda thiught that too but I can't seem to quit. I'll start out doing a recovery ride after a long one the day before, (Trying to stay at a moderate pace and stay in my heart zone), but usually get caught up trying to catch someone or getting into a pace with another rider, or just pushing harder.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »
Endurox is a good recovery drink after the ride,Rice beans and pasta seem to help most people that do long rides consistently,They make those a part of their diet

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »
rest is important - if you don't take time off between hard workouts you are actually hurting yourself.

Offline kungfupunk

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 08:28:48 PM »
I encountered a similar sort of thing in my kung fu class when I went from training every other day to 6 days out of 7. When you up your training level that much at any strenuous exercise, your body's going to start to drag around day 4 or 5 just out of sheer exhaustion. I'd say push it for a few weeks to get yourself past that first plateau, then give yourself a break of a couple of days to recoop. If you don't you can make yourself really sick (as I found out about a month ago out of a mixture of stubbornness and being unable to quit working out. LOL).
Mind over matter: if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 05:13:32 AM »
If you're riding that much you need to take a rest week every 3-4 weeks, cutting your time in half and taking the intensity down.

Without knowing more it's hard to give other suggestions. Are you gaining/losing/maintaining weight? Are you getting adequate carbs? With that much riding, you need LOTS of carbs.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:08:17 AM »
I usually weigh around 186-189, and can lose about 3-8 lbs. per ride, water weight I guess. I'm bouncing around 182-185 now. Checking weight before and after ride. I eat alot of pasta, turkey, large salads, quite a bit of chicken and moderate meat helpings for dinner (burger,ribs,steak), and usually some potatoes with every meal, and sometimes eggs for breaksfast. I beleive I'm getting enough water because the trainer asked about urine color and frequincy. Sorry for that subject guys, but it was informantive. Obviously if your not peeing your not drinking enough and the urins color should be rather clear than a deep color. Spraking of potatoes, did you see the articlre in Bicycling mag this month about nutrition during the ride. She was a trainer for a team and describred potatoes as a great food for energy. She used New Potatoes and cook them, sprinkled them lighly with olive oil,salt ,pepper,and parmesean chese. She use new potatoes because of the small size. She also showd a neat way to fold them up in foil so they don't leak and it's easy to open the package for consumption. Sounds tastier than power bars and etc.!

scooter

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
Our bodies know when we are over training, becoming in tune with that feedback and reacting accordingly will only benefit you long term. Tear it down, feed it, rest it and repeat. ;)

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »
I guess I need to listen to my body more ,"Grasshopper"! ;) ;D But that's how I get in this spot, My body is saying "ride,ride, ride like the wind young Luke"

scooter

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 12:58:42 PM »
Is that your body talking to you or testoterone driven male ego. Been there done that. Our tendency is to Get R Done, balls to the wall! What does'nt kill us makes us stonger and to a point these all are good BUT getting in tune with what our inner machine(Luke use the FORCE, it is your destiny :D)tells us is what seperates weekend warriors from stud muffin Tour de what ever "CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD"

Offline Eddie O

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »
Ken,
Harvey is spot on with the prescribed rest.  Even when I'm training 20+ hours a week, I take two days off or with a 45 min recovery ride.  These are real recovery rides, alone & flat with my heart rate around 100 bpm.  Yeah they can be boring, but they help keep the muscles from getting stiff on those off days.  Every 4th week I'll also cut my hours in half with the only intensity coming in a few short interval at the end of the week to get the legs going again.  If you don't recover you will not get stronger....just more tired.

A nutritional assessment may be beneficial as well.  A small caloric debt to lose weight is good, but too big of a debt will leave feeling very sluggish.  You may not be taking in enough calories on your heavier riding days.

Good luck,

Eddie O

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 07:33:08 PM »
Thanks Eddie, it seems I need to rest a little more. I genererly feel pretty well with a litle soreness in the morning or just after the ride, but it's gone by mid morning. It could be an diet thing, i'm burning between 3,000 and 4300 calories a ride, but I don't count my calorie intake.

Scooter, yeah I get caught up in that "I can ride better than that thing", it happened Sunday when the Suncoast Cycle Club past me as I was riding at 16-18 MPh and jumped on the tail end of the pack. Next thing i know i doing 24 Behind 18 riders. but it seemed like pedaling 18 with the draft. too cool, it was my first time in a group road ride!

scooter

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 08:23:45 PM »
Sounds like fun ;D I am looking at a couple of roadie bikes myself. Keep up the good work Ken!

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 07:54:54 AM »
Never thought I'd enjoy a road bike as much as I do,being a mountain biker at heart, but it opened up a whole new world for me. Witht he big rings on a road bike you really increase your speed for less effort. Being on this side of the bay, Iget alot of use out of it also. I still like to ride the Enduro though so I can ride steps, walls, jump curbs and other stupid stuff!

Advertisement: