Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Coping with injuries question  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Chip

• First Bike
Coping with injuries question
« on: December 09, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »
I broke my left wrist some years ago.   :'(  When I ride more than about 10 miles, or shorter if it is particularly physical riding, my left hand starts to go a little numb.  It was a pretty bad break of one of those little round bones in the wrist and the Doc told me it would never be perfect again.  It has contently been sore since i starting riding seriously again about three months ago.  Does anyone else have a similar problem and if so do you know any tricks to keep it livable?   I have heard of a regimen of ibuprofen that might help or a wrist brace for riding, something like that?  I have pretty cushy Yeti grips and padded riding gloves but they don't seem to do much good. 

Cheers,
Chip
Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Re: Coping with injuries question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 01:52:01 PM »
I don't know if this would work or not. But you might try one of those nylon, elastic , flexible braces. They are usually black and have probably seen them on ankles and knees or elbopws. My daughter had a knee that would popout  occasionally due to repetitive use in track ,Volleyball, Basket ball, and softball (she's a catcher). One of the kids I coach at baseball, his dad is the head of the new sports therapy and rehabiltation unit at Morton Plant Hospital as well as a trainer for the Bucs, Lightning, Yankees, and Clearwater High School. He suggested the flexible brace for her along with exercises to stregthen the side to side muscles of her knee. They were weak and with all the activities she was doing was not getting enough time to rest it. Try one, you can get them almost anywhere, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS and etc. Also try doing some exercises that will improve the strength of your wrist. Wrist curls with light weights to start and maybe isometric stretches with rubber band devices. You can make one out different strengths of surgical tubing. Tie one end through a 5" piece of 1/2" pvc tubing (sch.40) and back to itself to form a handle and on the other end  tie on a swivel snap so you can snap it onto a chain link fence or something like that. You can then stand perpindicular to the fence, arms straight out at shoulder heigth. Hold the handle and walk away from the fence till you have tension on the tubing then without bending your elbow, pull the handle away and across your chest keeping your arm straight at all times. Create different pull points by attaching the snap at different heigths on the fence. You can also do other positions by facing the fence and pulling down or up and by facing away from the fence and pulling over and under your shoulder again with keeping your arm straight. You might be surprised how it might help you without the expense of therapy.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »
It is a shot in the dark, but you may want to try changing up your riding position a bit with either a riser bar or higher rise stem, it'll move you weight back a bit and take it off your hands/wrist some.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 04:18:56 PM »
Check the position of your levers and see if it puts your wrists at a weird angle that may help also!
Gears??? We don't need no STINKING GEARS!!!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 08:43:59 PM »
I broke my left wrist some years ago.   :'(  When I ride more than about 10 miles, or shorter if it is particularly physical riding, my left hand starts to go a little numb.  It was a pretty bad break of one of those little round bones in the wrist and the Doc told me it would never be perfect again.  ...
Chip,
I had a very similar break over a year ago.  Mine the left hand as well but was right on the corner of the radius bone.  The little peak of the bone against one of those little "round bones" (Scaphoid).   It wasn't completely broke across the bone but just a hairline crack.  Enough to make my hand motionless.  I never did teraphy after cast came off and I now regreat it.  For the longest, I would wake up and my wrist would take a while to get started.  When I would flex my thumb I could hear and feel the nerves "grind" against my bone.  It was very painful at times.  If I would flex my wrist inwards in a fast motion, it just felt like it was going to break right off.  After a year, the bending has gotten better.  I still wake up with slight numbness on it.  I went back to the doctor and they recommended a cordizone shot about 3 or 4 monts after cast came off.  I devated it for a while but I finally got one.  It help "lube" the nerves and the grinding went away.  The numbness still there but is not as bad.  When I am going to ride trails with lost of bumps or roots (alafia or boyette) I wear a small wrist brace.  The riding and shifting doesn't bother me anymore.  But the morning numbness still there.

Good luck with yours.  You may give cordizone shot a try after you consult with your doc and consider the cons about it...  It may be too late but definetely do excersices with it through out the day.  Specially before riding.

Offline Chip

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 08:58:25 PM »
Good stuff guys.  I never thought about the position issue.  I think I will take a few short rides this week and concentrate on my body position.  BillT, you might be on to something there.  Same thing with the levers Monkeyboy.  Ken, the ecercises are the same the doctor sent me on my way with.  You must be a doctor, or a really accident prone person.  I did all the rehab work the doctor suggested.  I may need to get back into it.  Funny how riding hurts different places than any other form of exercise, and in such different ways too.  Thanks everybody

Cheers,
Chip

Offline Chip

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 09:01:08 PM »
Hey SandPine, what kind of brace do you use?  I still have the numbness every morning, just my pinky and ring finger.  Usually goes away after I have taken a shower. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 09:07:32 PM »
have you tried a set of the ergon grips? I've got a set on my rush and they are the most comfortable grips I've ever tried. Big difference in comfort from the Odi grips I have on my SS.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:32:45 PM »
Try some Ergon grips.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 09:32:38 AM »
No I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! All kidding aside I've had alot of medical training as a first responder. I was a lifeuard at Clearwater Beach as a kid, worked as in the line department at Florida Power where we had to keep a current Cpr and first aid card. I also have my Merchant Marine Masters license which requires the same only when you renew your license every 5 years. Where most of the info comes from is that I'm a baseball coach and have to do a first aid course evry spring. It deals alot with activity injuries and assesment, treatments, and also diagnosing problems associated with repetitive use. Little league elbow is a big one as of late. They now have kids undergoing TommyJohns Surgery on elbows and shoulders on kids as young as 9 yrs. old because some "JACKASS COACHES" (sorry for the language!),are teaching kids to throw curve balls and are more concerned with winning than teaching the kids correctly and making sure they are physically healthy the rest of their life. Having the trainer I spoke about earlier as a coach and also a close friend has been priceless. He has taught me so much more than any first aid course ever could. He also has saved me alot of money by diagnosing an treating many injuries me and my kids have received.  The latest a year and a half ago, my 11 yr. old at the time,daughter Savannah ( the accident prone one) was hit in the wrist with a 64 MPH fast ball( she was still weraing the boys out playing for me then before going to softball ) and fractured her wrist. He is truely a great friend to have not because of what he's done for me and my family, but because he's a good person and wants to on his own! He actually went with my daughetr to Morton Plant Hospital to expediate the long wait at the energency rooms that are all too frequent, and to personally read the xrays with the doctor. You don't find people like that every day!
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
I third the Ergon grips!  I didn't break my wrist but I used to have problems with numbness in my left hand after a 15 mile ride.  I've had the Ergon's for a while and haven't had any numbness at all even after a 50 miler.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »
I'm not a doctor, but I've broken a wrist and seperated a shoulder.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: