Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: SWAMP THING!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1351 times)

scooter

SWAMP THING!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: December 13, 2007, 03:11:23 PM »
Hails to the trail crew at Boyette, Me, Jason and Shaun rode the new trail today and were giggling like a bunch of school girls. The trail is really virgin(Needs breakin in) and was a little difficult to follow. We rode as far as the trail led us then the trail kind of vanished! We got as far as this spine leading to a tasty drop into nothing and what looked to be a climb out the other side but upon further investigation no trail was found on the other side. I guess that will be the future continuation which brings me to this question, How do you get outta here? We backed out of this little gulley to a briar patch and forged a new bailout :o Is there an exit in place or did we jump the gun in riding SWAMP THING?

Offline Amocat00

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Zoom Zoom
Re: SWAMP THING!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:16:55 PM »
All I can say is WOW!  I can't wait until that trail is finished and/or broken in.  Very interesting.

~S
"Ride It Like You Stole It!!!"

~Shawn

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:11:57 PM »
SWAMP THING is actually not finished yet.  The sign in the trail at the South end of SIDEWINDER is where you need to either make a hard left and go up to the levy and back, or turn around and do SIDEWINDER in reverse.  There is still some work to do to stabilize SWAMP THING and connect it to the next trail before it can actually be considered ridable.  Where you found it to stop is where the technical part will begin then wrap around to yet another trail through the woods to connect to the back side of East Meadow.  That portion isn't even flagged yet, but county wanted an updated map right away to show the new stuff, so hopefully with enough help we can finish it before we run out of January.  Know a group of folks that could help on the next workday??

scooter

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »
From what we saw today, this is going to be a world class ride! I really like the fact that you said where we stopped is where the technical part is to begin. It just keeps getting better :)

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:08:44 AM »
I spoke with Rick last night at the Christmas Night Light Ride, and he said that he and Wes were riding out in the area we were - they were riding through the brush scouting terrain! Scott, Shaun and I took a scarcely used 2 track out to find the entrance and were checking out the sweet hills out in the area. There is so much potential in the area - I definitely want to make it out for some trail work...

In that vein of thought - do you ride bikes out to the spots that you work? What type of supplies should a new trail worker bring? Tools?

Thx!

J
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 03:43:23 PM »
In that vein of thought - do you ride bikes out to the spots that you work? What type of supplies should a new trail worker bring? Tools?

Thx!

J

Work days we generally caravan out in vehicles to the specific areas we are going to be working that day since most everything that we work on any more is way out in the back of the property.  Sometimes, when trimming is needed, a few folks ride the trails and stop and trim areas that need it, then ride some more to the next spot and stop and trim. 

For the most part we have tools to loan out, but if you have some favorites you're welcome to bring those.  Also be sure to bring gloves, water, and bug repellent.

Advertisement: