Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: extremely disturbing ride on monday afternoon  (Read 2151 times)

Offline sideshow3

• First Bike
extremely disturbing ride on monday afternoon
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:24:57 AM »
something very disturbing happened during a ride at wilderness parks on monday afternoon (12/17/07)...at approximately 4:45pm just as i was about to hit heartbreak ridge shots rang out...lots of them (>2 dozen)...it sounded like they could have been coming from somewhere around the power lines area...(i have sufficient experience with firearms to feel reasonably confident that that's what these sounds were)...since it was cold as a** there weren't too many folks out...saw several other cars in the "hole in the fence" lot when i arrived...the only person that i saw was a fellow swamper who passed by me just past the trail head then quickly disappeared (~4:20pm).

the 5 or so minutes of shooting was very scary because there was no way to tell what direction the shots were being fired...it may have been my imagination, but it sounded to me as though several of the rounds sailed through the trees...the shooting stopped just as my 911 call ended...a nearby deputy called me back several minutes later, then left to investigate a pair of hikers returning to the parking area...he called back to tell me that he was going to check out the area on an atv...never heard back from him, though.

as i trekked (fishered?) along heartbreak ridge an upsetting thought came to mind...i started wondering if one of our frustrated club members had decided to take matters into his own hands by removing some of the trail-damaging hogs himself...i did notice LOTS of new trail damage just since yesterday & i heard several hogs in the bushes during my ride... i certainly hope that wasn't the case because whoever did the shooting put my life at risk in addition to any others who may have been innocently using the trails at the same time that the effing idiot was discharging a deadly weapon out there...keep a sharp eye out for suspicious activity and report any concerns to the proper authorities...IMO anyone thoughtless enough to do something like this deserves to go straight to jail...everyone PLEASE be extra careful out there now!

>>>the WORST part of all was that this event cut short my very frigid ride!<<<

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: extremely disturbing ride on Monday afternoon
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:36:23 AM »
Sideshow,
Sorry to hear you ride didn't go as well as you had hoped.  I find it very unlikely that someone will park at hole in the fence, carry their gun(s), ride or walk 4 miles to power line road just to unload some lead on the trail damaging pigs.  The power line area is a common trespassed zone.  We often see vehicle tires marks specially past the entrance to Indian.  There are a couple ways to get into that road that goes through the power lines.  Neighborhoods surround the area an some have ATV's that often come onto the trails.  You frequently will find empty or broken beer bottles by the towers.  It is likely that whoever was doing the shooting may have been trespassing.  Maybe hiking but I doubt he/she was biking.  The trappers the county uses to trap the hogs do not use firearms to kill them.  They trap them.

I have reported your post to our WTA group where the head Ranger reads every post. You did good in contacting the county authorities.  For these types of incidents, it is best to contact the park ranger.  I am not sure of the numbers but is either (813) 987-6200  or (813) 975-2160.   I'll double check it.

Offline sideshow3

• First Bike
Re: extremely disturbing ride on monday afternoon
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 01:17:24 PM »
mrsandpine---
thanks for your perspective on this event...another member posted a message on the yahoogroups site early this morning about yesterday afternoon's shooting...the wording made it sound as though there was only a single shot but there were actually 20+...we'll probably never know the story behind the gunfire...oh, well...
>>>has anyone else ever experienced something similar out there before?!<<< 

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:58:19 PM »
I highly doubt that the gunfire was from anyone associated with SWAMP... If the shooting went on for more than a few seconds I would doubt that they were shooting at hogs (the hogs would have been hightailing it out of there the second the first shot fired).  I'm not trying to be prejudiced here, but based on the looks of some the dwellings along Morris Bridge road, I'd not be the least surprised if one of the local yocals was back there shootin' just to shoot and show off to his buddies his purdy new rifle.  Regardless, you did the right thing by calling in the sheriff's department... If it continues it's only a matter of time before 1) the culprit(s) gets caught or 2) someone innocent gets hurt.  Let's hope it's #1
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:06:28 PM by Jersh »
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

scooter

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 03:55:12 PM »
I know DarrinW also heard shots in the same area around 10 A.M. so it was not a random thing but rather prolonged. Our group came thru there around 11:30 A.M. I did not hear anything when we came thru.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:21:38 AM »
I assume it's the same idiots that are breaking glass that are throwing it onto the trail at the entrance to washboard also. I also hope that no one gets hurt out there. I've been shot before and don't even want to think about one of my kids being shot while riding with me. I have no problems with weapons as I own several but they need to be used with respect and extreme caution!
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 07:27:15 AM »
I assume it's the same idiots that are breaking glass that are throwing it onto the trail at the entrance to washboard also. I also hope that no one gets hurt out there. I've been shot before and don't even want to think about one of my kids being shot while riding with me. I have no problems with weapons as I own several but they need to be used with respect and extreme caution!
You've been shot? That's not something to many people can say. Glad your ok.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »
With a 45 no less! Not something I'd want anyone to go through! Still have and keep the slug.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »
I highly doubt that the gunfire was from anyone associated with SWAMP... If the shooting went on for more than a few seconds I would doubt that they were shooting at hogs (the hogs would have been hightailing it out of there the second the first shot fired).  I'm not trying to be prejudiced here, but based on the looks of some the dwellings along Morris Bridge road, I'd not be the least surprised if one of the local yocals was back there shootin' just to shoot and show off to his buddies his purdy new rifle.  Regardless, you did the right thing by calling in the sheriff's department... If it continues it's only a matter of time before 1) the culprit(s) gets caught or 2) someone innocent gets hurt.  Let's hope it's #1

I completely agree. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that it has anything to do with SWAMP.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 10:50:03 PM »
I was on Indian around 10am on Monday when I heard that single shot that made me dump my bike (oh, thats why I dumped it), someone else sent a yahoogroups post that they heard shots on Friday afternoon.  I dont know, but I plan on staying away from that area for awhile. I hope they are gone by the time the youth ride rolls around next month since my boy will be riding in it.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 07:01:34 AM »
Is it disturbing because it interrupted his frigid ride or interrupted his 4:20 experience? I'm thinking someones freaking out here man!    ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 08:49:30 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D

Advertisement: