SWAMP Community Forums
March 24, 2008, 02:40:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remember to login to view all of the boards and topics available to you.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the Swamp Roadies  (Read 923 times)
scooter
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:46:32 PM »

O.K. I am getting crazy ideas of purchasing a Road bike and am looking for input on the benefits of going with a double or triple crank. What are the pro's and con's? I am guessing there is a weight savings with the double but more versatility with the triple? On my MTB I could cope with just the middle ring so would a third ring be a benefit to me on the road?
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »

For the riding that you will do in Florida, you will never need the little ring. Save the weight and go with a double!

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:57 PM »

O.K. I am getting crazy ideas of purchasing a Road bike and am looking for input on the benefits of going with a double or triple crank. What are the pro's and con's? I am guessing there is a weight savings with the double but more versatility with the triple? On my MTB I could cope with just the middle ring so would a third ring be a benefit to me on the road?

Most triples come with a 105.  They don't shift very smooth and not really needed in what we have in Florida.  Upgrading to a triple Ultegra or Dura-Ace up front pretty much fixes that problem.  Yes, you do shave some weight having a double instead of triple, but the upgrade in quality front deraillieur shaves weight too.  Or just going to a double.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:29:13 AM »

I agree with them also, I never get in the small ring on the road bike either. Go for the road bike, it opens up a whole new type of riding for you. I still prefer the trails though. What type of road bike are you considering?

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
scooter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:36:56 AM »

Looking at a couple of the entry level Carbon offerings, Trek Madone, Specialized Robaix and Tarmac and the Giant OCR. For the money, it looks like the Madone is outfitted the best with Ultegra versus 105 components on the other brand bikes.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:42:59 AM »

Both my LeMonds have 105's. The cross bike has two rings and shifts well but the Buenos Aries has three rings and is a little slower. With the three ring you have to hold the shift a little longer than on the cross bike but thats all I've ever used for the road. The new road bike has Ultegra though so I'll be able to make a good comparison.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »

2 rings is fine for FL

scooter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:22:18 AM »

What are you guy's riding?
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 01:23:31 PM »

I ride an 07 trek 1500. It is a fairly basic road bike. Just a couple notches above entry level. I think that if you are really only going to use it for training purposes, then spending alot of money is unneeded. My bike is equipped with Shimano 105 drivetrain and shifters. I think that it shifts smoother than the XTR stuff I have on the Kona. I am sure that if I spent more time on the road bike I would want to upgrade, but at this point, I don't think it is important.

Harvey
Ride Guide
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 01:40:33 PM »

I never get in the small ring on the road bike either.

Are you talking small ring on a double or triple? Just wondering because I can maintain 23-24 MPH in a 39-13 with a cadence of about 100 RPM. Just did it this morning. The big ring has it's place, which for me is when I'm going faster than ~23 or doing specific big gear training (and I'm going faster than 23 when I do that).

I just put a new Ultregra 6600G gruppo on my freshly repainted IF Crown Jewel, and man does that stuff shift nice! It could be that I was used to my trashed-for-3-years old Ultregra stuff, but still...

As for the original question, I agree that a triple is totally unnecessary in Florida, unless you have bad knees, plan on taking it to the mountains (you could just get a wider range cassette) or just want us all to laugh at you. Wink

Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »

We laugh at him anyway! Shocked

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »

I am riding a specialized alluminum starter bike with a few upgrades.

as for the crankset/rings = FSA ceramic external bottom bracket w/ K-force light crankset (2 rings)

scooter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 03:12:36 PM »

Hey, I thought you were laughing with me! Cry
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

benjibbad
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »

I have a Giant TCR and this thing rocks for aluminum bike.  I ride a double and am barely out of the big ring.  Best bet just like with mountain bikes is to go out and ride some before you make your choice.  I liked the TCR becuase it felt smoother and faster than the Allez to me, but to each his own.

Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://bikesbeerandball.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: