SWAMP Community Forums
March 30, 2008, 02:11:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thank You for participating in our Forums!  You add character to our site!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the Swamp Roadies  (Read 939 times)
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 05:00:37 PM »

I have a Giant TCR and this thing rocks for aluminum bike.  I ride a double and am barely out of the big ring.  Best bet just like with mountain bikes is to go out and ride some before you make your choice.  I liked the TCR becuase it felt smoother and faster than the Allez to me, but to each his own.

smoother and faster?  shoot - we might have to test that out..hehe

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »

What are you guy's riding?

I have an 01 Raleigh R700 full Ultegra.  Aluminum frame with carbon fork and seat post.  Shimano R535 wheels.  The wheels are okay, not top of the line for sure, but they never need truing and are actually pretty nice weight wise for what they are.  I have put over 6000 miles on this bike and will use it in a few races this coming year.  I can't see enough of reason to trade it in on anything as it fits me very nicely, and for now I can stay within the top 3 to 5 in the sprints on my weekday rides.  Some of these guys are pretty strong riders too!
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight: SS29er wannabe

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »

Give me a granny gear up front fo'sure!!!  Don't think I could go up ice cream hill without it.  Sugar loaf either....   Horrible hundred?  I don't think I could do it if I don't have my ganny up front...  Sorry but I am a slow fat guy and can't last standing on the cranks up a hill even if is a small 10% grade like Ice Cream hill.

SandPine's Ride Reports
"I have a 3-speeds bike: Seat, Stand, & Walk!" Anonymous
scooter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 07:48:33 PM »

It seems that once you start looking at the ultegra and even 105 equipped bikes, there isn't that much of a premium on the carbon versus aluminum option not to go that route. Besides in the words of that wise hotel heiress Carbon Fiber is HOT! Shocked
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 09:20:28 PM »

Give me a granny gear up front fo'sure!!!  Don't think I could go up ice cream hill without it.  Sugar loaf either....   Horrible hundred?  I don't think I could do it if I don't have my ganny up front...  Sorry but I am a slow fat guy and can't last standing on the cranks up a hill even if is a small 10% grade like Ice Cream hill.

Granny up front?  I do the Hilly 100 with my double just fine.  I couldn't imagine having the need for a third chainring around here.  Guess I need more hills.  :-)
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight: SS29er wannabe

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 11:30:27 PM »

My '06 Giant OCRC2 came with Shimano Ultegra and TruVativ cranks with 30/39/53T rings.  when I go up Ice Cream hill, I am glad I have the 30T ring (3rd) upfront.   I could easily hammer it out on the middle 39T ring but I am lazy and rather spin it up.   Is probably the only place I've used it.   If I go to Clairmont (sugar loaf) or do NC/north GA hills, I will be using that 30T ring more...  So it stays!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 11:33:46 PM by MrSandPine » Logged

SandPine's Ride Reports
"I have a 3-speeds bike: Seat, Stand, & Walk!" Anonymous
EllsRider
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

813Racing

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 06:43:02 AM »

I have the same bike as Sandpine and I must admit that I use the third ring, and I admit that I get the jokes about it. It's like ice cream, I never buy the stuff but if its in the house, I eat it.  I've spun past a few riders while using the granny gear and every one of them wishes that at that moment  they wish they had one too.  I wouldn't buy one though if I were setting up  a bike. The manly thing to do is to switch out the rear cassette or change the two chainrings up front. Frickin' manly etiquette rules!    Cool

" Not this time, Lance"
chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 07:30:13 AM »

They dont all it the granny gear for nothing! Girlie fo sho! Grin
EllsRider
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

813Racing

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »

yeah  yeah yeah. When we did that road ride at G rams house I used the granny gear  and if my memory is correct I was the first to the top, even though I was the weakest of four riders. I beat you guys by so much I got tired of waiting and decided to to lay down in the grass while waiting for you all. The power of the granny gear does have its advantages.

" Not this time, Lance"
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 08:47:18 AM »

Just gotta love the smack here!!! Grin Grin

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
monkeyboy
Ride Guide
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »

If you are really concerned with if you can push a traditional double crankset or plan on ever going somewhere where there could be an occasional hill try getting a compact crank with an 11-23 cassette for Florida and whenever you go to someplace hilly get a 12-27 cassette and you should be fine.  You get the best of both worlds.

MoNkEyS on bikes! ! !
chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 06:30:47 PM »

Ells, you know the truth you got wooped straight up son! Grahm and I came around the turn and you were so wasted you were laying on the side of the road to regain just, some energy! We got a good laugh out of that one! Grin still do! Grin
EllsRider
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

813Racing

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 06:18:05 AM »

Talk about spinning the TRUTH!   Shocked  Shocked In your own words, you guys came around the corner and I was already there, resting in the grass. That means i was clearly in front of you. You say I was trying to re-gain  strength, I say I was tired of waiting for you guys. It was a tough climb but on that day I won the polka dot jersey.  Its all right though, I'm used to not getting any respect. I get my satisfaction from the TRUTH!  Was that ride Black mountain?   Huh  I need to go back and check. That one roadie we were talking to in Ellijay said that route was one of the toughest up there. Wasn't nothing with the granny gear.   Grin

" Not this time, Lance"
chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 07:14:14 AM »

I would say you were right if you were waiting at the top,but it was like half way! Grin So we rode on by to the top.. lol Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: