SWAMP Community Forums
June 09, 2008, 07:18:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: North Creek Trail at Alafia River State Park is a fun and popular trail.
Ride this intermediate trail and then post your review here!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st time doing the loop!  (Read 784 times)
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« on: December 28, 2007, 10:20:08 AM »

My 6 year old son and I rode the Wilderness park loop yesterday for the 1st time. if you were out there between 10am and 2pm no doubt you saw us.

We started at Trout creek and rode it backwards as the numbers go (47-0). We saw a pair of deer on #40, we had a hard time (but made it) on panther, got a little lost on Eubanks Parkway, had to climb over a downed tree on #31, and Indian almost killed us (we were tired at that point), but we had a great time! If we got in anyones way we are sorry, but we are both still beginners.

Darrin

If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
JasonD
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

I like to bike!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 11:16:14 AM »

Wow! Was your son on his own bike? Depending on the route you took, you went at least 12 miles - that's a lot of pedalling for a little guy!

I was out at around 1:30, moving the other direction. I don't remember seeing you I took the trail entrance across the street from Trout Creek (called the "Hole in the Fence" entrance). I went from Main trail to Misery to Indian to Washboard to Heartbreak Ridge. We were in the same vicinity at some point in there.

Jason Daniels
Red Gary Fisher (HKEK / Big Sur Hybrid)
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »

oh yeah, he was on his own bike. we did the whole flatwoods loop including Panther and Eubanks, main to washboard in MB, grandpa to indian north, grandpa back to Indian south, and main back out to trout creek. we were tired little puppies when we were done.

gatoroofer
SWAMPer
First Bike

ride for fun ride for life

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »

Thanks for this post I haven't been out there yet although I thought that I would see if my son could do it at age 6, he's a good rider but hes never went off road. Were gonna try it out this week

Ride for fun ride for life.
Meerkat Surprise
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »

That's incredible for a six-year old. I know a couple of 30-year olds who start complaining long before going that far.
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »

Thanks for this post I haven't been out there yet although I thought that I would see if my son could do it at age 6, he's a good rider but hes never went off road. Were gonna try it out this week

Start him out on the Morris bridge (hole-in-fence) trails like main, grandpa, misery, washboard, and palmetto. thats what I did with my boy to get him used to off road trails. he took to it like a fish to water.  I think he is a natural bike rider, we road 18 miles on the Suncoast trail only a week after his training wheels came off! Also, I dont know what kind of bike your son has, but I bought mine a full suspension Wal-mart special (20") to help with the roots. he rode his old bike once on the trails with no suspension and hated it, but now he loves it.

Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 08:53:04 PM »

Wow! Great job to both of you! If I am understanding you, I would estimate that you guys rode over 17 miles. That is impressive! Especially for your son. Sounds like you got the bug. Be prepared to open your wallet........It is only a matter of time!

I started my son riding when he was 9, it is funny to see him with no fear doing things that a lot of adults would think more than twice about. I guess that is just being a kid.

I am glad to see you having such a great time, I will not be able to be at Boyette tomorrow, but look forward to meeting you. Don't worry there will always be a group for you to ride with.

Have fun!

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »

Yeah that is great news for your boy. Looks like my 4 kids have a liitle competition now! We need to do a kids ride sometime.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »

Yeah that is great news for your boy. Looks like my 4 kids have a liitle competition now! We need to do a kids ride sometime.

We will be doing the youth ride at trout creek/WP on Sunday the 6th. Maybe we will see you there?

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »

I think we can make that.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: