SWAMP Community Forums
April 11, 2008, 10:47:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Boyette Scrub Trail Map available to SWAMP Mountain Bike Club members.  Check the Trail Maps section.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gatorback  (Read 1822 times)
chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« on: January 08, 2008, 07:22:01 AM »

I was told yesterday to spread the word. Someone tore down the ribbons blocking off the tail and rode it while it was closed and got hurt. The outcome of this is now the trail will not be opened again! Anyone caught out there even just walking will be banned from the park for one year and if you are caught riding on it you will be arrested.
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:44:50 AM »

I was told yesterday to spread the word. Someone tore down the ribbons blocking off the tail and rode it while it was closed and got hurt. The outcome of this is now the trail will not be opened again! Anyone caught out there even just walking will be banned from the park for one year and if you are caught riding on it you will be arrested.

It's amazing how some people truly don't understand the reasoning and meaning behind a "CLOSED TRAIL".  As if it's a snub to them or something.  It's closed either because it's dangerous or in such condition that riding it makes it worse.  Too bad the dude got hurt, but he only has himself to blame.  I think either the trail should be made rideable or remove the bridge and close it forever.  I don't like that option as I helped build that bridge and the beginning parts of that trail.  Unfortunatly, sooner or later, people are always going to try to ride it whether it is open or not.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »

I agree Garry! What part of NO don't some people understand?  Angry I think if you took down the bridge they would just try to ride in from the exit. Hopefully we can come up with some solution to rectify the problem and maybe reopen it. Does anyone know who it was orhow he got hurt and the extent of his injuries?

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
BillT
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 08:49:02 AM »

What an idiot!  It is not like you just post a little sign and expect someone to read it...when you guys close a trail, you really CLOSE it down - requiring significant effort to get past the block.
scooter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »

I hope when you said not to open doesn't mean forever Cry I have only seen the trail thru pic's and would like to experience it first hand some day in what ever form that may be Smiley
singletrackmind
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »

I heard it was a broken wrist. What a shame though....it's always one person has to go screw it up for everyone else.

Green Cannondale Prophet.......Now minus the LEFTY....Gone! Soon to be Santa Cruz Blur LT
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »

What an idiot!  It is not like you just post a little sign and expect someone to read it...when you guys close a trail, you really CLOSE it down - requiring significant effort to get past the block.

There have been varying degrees of obstacles blocking the entrance to Gator Back that people have taken down to access the "CLOSED" trail.  No matter what, some dumb a$$ is going to go in there whether it's Gator Back or Indian after heavy rains  and ride it, (Indian and Gator Bait at Morris Bridge have always been seasonal trails), but again - some dumb a$$ feels he needs to sport his ego and go in there anyway.  No matter what you can't fix stupid.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »

I think we ought to tie him up to a tree and beat him with old tire tubes! Wink Grin

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »

Seriously though, I hope he's banned from the park for awhile till he understands if thats possible.

Amocat00
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

Zoom Zoom

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »

I've never even been out there.  But, just out of curiousity, why is it closed?  I saw someone mentioned it is always seasonal, for what reason?

"Ride It Like You Stole It!!!"

~Shawn
BillT
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »

But, just out of curiousity, why is it closed? 

Several of the drops on the trails are straight, fall-line type drops that erode badly when it rains causing nasty ruts.  The trail is lots of fun, but in its current state, it is very difficult to maintain.
CrazyWhiteGuy
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Caution: May cause temporary blindness

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »

That sucks, Gatorback is one of those trails that I have always aspired to be good at. I say pull the planks outta the bridge for now and start rebuilding it. When that guys arm heals up ban him from there for a year or two so he learns his lesson.

Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »

So they are seriously never going to open that trail again because of this? Man this really sucks, was one of my favorite trails! Why do the retards have to ruin it for everyone!

my other ride has 599 more hp.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »

I agree, one ruins it for the rest. Maybe after the commotion dies down they'll reconsider the fact that  one person did it and we all shouldn't have to pay for his stupidity. I really think that they'll see that after awhile I hope.

Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 04:44:53 PM »

its just like all the clowns at Wilderness park trails that ride with no helmets. one of these days they will get hurt and it will effect us all. Counties dont like getting sued, even by morons, so they usually take it out on everyone...

If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: