SWAMP Community Forums
April 15, 2008, 08:31:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Alafia Trail Map available to SWAMPers!
The November 2006 trail map, which includes North Creek phase 2, is available in the Alafia Trail Map section under Alafia River State Park trails.  You must be a SWAMP Club Member to gain access to these additional boards.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gatorback  (Read 1902 times)
northbkr1
First Bike

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 12:47:52 AM »

The problem is not the  one guy who got hurt it's the riders who think they can do anything they want. It's IDIOTS like this who are the reason the Toe is GONE!!!!! I have blocked the trail at least a dozen times and people keep clearing it so they can ride it anyway. That is what happened again, someone pulled down the tape and even though it was still laying across the bridge,some guy rode it and got hurt. I always hear we walked it or we rode it and it's not that bad. IT DOESN'T MATTER what they think,they don't own the land or even do any trail work to keep a trail like that open. This is STATE land, they don't want people getting hurt. They really want us there but we also have rules we have to follow to keep trails open. Because of Alafia, mountain bikers have access to State land all over the state if we get together to build it. Thats why Swamp and the Ridge Riders will hopfully be working together for a little while to start laying out trails at Colt Creek, a State park in Lakeland. OK I'm getting off the subject. In an earlier post someone said remove the bridge or remove planks, we should not have to but some planks have been removed. Trust me when I say you don't want to be caught walking or riding this trail while it's closed you will be very sorry if you are. Please let everyone know.  The same thing goes anyone building options on the trail like the drop at the end of Roller Coaster. I have been told if anyone is caught building anything on the trail Illlegally they WILL be arrested. Gatorback will open again one day but probably not anytime soon. We have put up signs asking for help to fix it but the riders who ride trails like this don't want to help and it's not fair to ask the people who can't even ride it, who built it in the 1st place to fix it. When it opens again it will be challenging but it will be ridable for more people and it will not be the nightmare it is now to maintain and keep open.                  NOW for something we all like to hear. More TRAILS. Alafia is on 6500 acres, we are only on about 3 to 400 of it . Want more to ride ,come out and give us a hand, we are making North Creek longer and might have a couple of harder options ,behind River Loop we are going to build a trail that will follow the river it will be fast and flowing without roots it will cross the river after about mile and a half and take us to some really sweet rolling terrain on the other side. Roller Coaster is going to get longer, Moonscape will get longer and a lot more fun.  The same thing is happening at Boyette,we are renting equipment to build more trail there also. OK guys and gals thats what's going on so now its up to you. WANT THINGS TO STAY THE SAME, Then keep on riding . Want to have a Lot more fun And have a Lot more Trail to ride. Stop saying I need to go to a workday and DO IT,You can ride after we feed you and you make some new friends. The trail will never look the same after you ride that Cool section or trail is that you just helped BUILD. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.   Art                                                                                                                     
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight: SS29er wannabe

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 05:43:26 AM »

Very good information to us all.  Art made excellent points here about coming out to help at the workdays.  Thank you Art.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:52:40 AM by MrSandPine » Logged

SandPine's Ride Reports
"I have a 3-speeds bike: Seat, Stand, & Walk!" Anonymous
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 08:32:05 AM »

Excellent post Art!  Really lays it out for the awesome mountain biking opportunities we have in this area.  It would be nice to have more people involved in the workdays - members and non members alike - but unfortunatly, as you stated, there will always be those who could give a crap.
Hopefully we will see some new faces added to the mix on workdays so we can continue to have some of the greatest trails available to us.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 08:47:35 AM »

I'm definately going to make some of them this year! Promise! That was one of my New Years resolutions. The wife will have to make the workday one of her days off but that way I could get the whole family out there.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 11:12:44 AM »

Art,

One question I have, and I know it may sound dumb, but do we have to pay park admission at alafia on a day we work on the trails? Now that the holidays have passed, I know I will be able to get out and help soon.

Darrin

If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
SamW
SWAMPer
First Bike

SWAMPER

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »

Dear Darrenw2001,

When you get to the gate, show the Ranger your SWAMP club membership card and tell them that you are there to work on the trails with Art. They will let you in for free. Of course this does not mean that anyone reading this should abuse this priviledge. If you are riding and not doing trail maintenance, you need to pay your entry into the park without question.

Addicted to MTB
CrazyWhiteGuy
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Caution: May cause temporary blindness

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 01:29:08 PM »

Yeah, If you just tell them that your hear for the swamp workday they will let you in for free. Not a bad deal if you ask me, work for 3 hours, get some free food and then head back out on the bike.
Hey Garry, any plans for the coming Boyette work day? are we going to be finishing Swamp Thing?

Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 01:38:47 PM »

I would always pay if I am there to ride only. I am one of the few I know that actually pay the $1 at the Wilderness trails every time I go, But if I am there to work I would hope they would let you in free.

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 05:15:05 PM »

Yeah, If you just tell them that your hear for the swamp workday they will let you in for free. Not a bad deal if you ask me, work for 3 hours, get some free food and then head back out on the bike.
Hey Garry, any plans for the coming Boyette work day? are we going to be finishing Swamp Thing?

There won't be an official Boyette workday until after the Croom 50. But yes, Swamp Thing should get finished and a good portion of Garry's Loop can get started and we are not far from finishing Woods Trail.
Cyclopod
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »

What do we need to do to get Gatorback reopened?

NOW for something we all like to hear. More TRAILS. Alafia is on 6500 acres, we are only on about 3 to 400 of it .                                                                                                             

This very appealing.  Knowing that we've barely "scratched the surface," so to speak, for trails at Alafia.  I live all the way out in Gainesville, but I just joined the club as part of a rally call at the MTBR forum to see what we can do to have Gatorback reopened.  I understand that most of the SWAMP club members who participate in trail maintenance do not ride it and are therefore not motivated to maintain Gatorback, but there are a lot of us who do cherish that trail enough to head out that way (in my case about once a month) just to get the rush of bombing down those trails.  It's unfortunate that many of us who enjoy Gatorback live several hours away, but we are ready to do our part and pitch.  I've never rode the TOE, but the loss of Razorback was a big loss for me and loosing Gatorback would just be more salt on this wound. 

I know that a lot of good stuff is being built at Alafia, with more big plans, but to get Gatorback reopened, what kind of effort do we need to put together, in terms of number or crew members, hours of regular maintenance?
CrazyWhiteGuy
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Caution: May cause temporary blindness

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »

Doing the actual work itself is an issue with gatorback, it has always been an issue, that is just the way the trail was built. But the big issue now is that fact that someone got seriously injured on a trail that is pretty much considered a hazard(for lack of a nicer word), that is why it is closed right now. I agreed that Gatorback should be re-opened even though I don't ride it much(I'd like to though), and that it is the riders fault for the injuries incurred, but now we got politics involved in this and it isn't the SWAMP club that needs to be talked into this. It's the state or county or who ever the final blame rests upon that needs to be talked into allowing this.

I'm just throwing it out there, but Petition anyone?

Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black
Cyclopod
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 03:55:53 PM »

Doing the actual work itself is an issue with gatorback, it has always been an issue, that is just the way the trail was built. But the big issue now is that fact that someone got seriously injured on a trail that is pretty much considered a hazard(for lack of a nicer word), that is why it is closed right now. I agreed that Gatorback should be re-opened even though I don't ride it much(I'd like to though), and that it is the riders fault for the injuries incurred, but now we got politics involved in this and it isn't the SWAMP club that needs to be talked into this. It's the state or county or who ever the final blame rests upon that needs to be talked into allowing this.

I'm just throwing it out there, but Petition anyone?

Are we going back and forth here?  I haven't seen an announcement that Gatorback is permanently closed.  If it is because some fool got into an accident then at the very least there should be an announcement.  I recently got in touch with Julianne here at SWAMP, a couple of days ago, and she told me that there was no permanent closure.  This is the only post on the SWAMP website where anything like this is discussed.  There has been no affirmation or negation regarding closure for that matter.  If there is official word then point me in the right direction to see the announcement or else someone higher up should make an announcement.  We've got a number of people ready to make a commitment to maintain the trail.  There is no point in just keeping us hanging.
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »

Are we going back and forth here?  I haven't seen an announcement that Gatorback is permanently closed.  If it is because some fool got into an accident then at the very least there should be an announcement.  I recently got in touch with Julianne here at SWAMP, a couple of days ago, and she told me that there was no permanent closure.  This is the only post on the SWAMP website where anything like this is discussed.  There has been no affirmation or negation regarding closure for that matter.  If there is official word then point me in the right direction to see the announcement or else someone higher up should make an announcement.  We've got a number of people ready to make a commitment to maintain the trail.  There is no point in just keeping us hanging.

If you read Art's post above, you will see that he said it will open again, down the road, after a makeover to a more "rideable" trail for more people (read - revamped, less danger). Art would know since he is the main guy involved in the trails there. I think your going to find that trails like that will be few and far between in the future just due to the liability on injuries (see TOE) that no one wants. Plus the fact you will always get idiots that have no business riding them out there messing things up for everyone else. Such is life, you get a couple of idiots that mess things up for everyone else.

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 07:41:19 PM »

What do we need to do to get Gatorback reopened?

NOW for something we all like to hear. More TRAILS. Alafia is on 6500 acres, we are only on about 3 to 400 of it .                                                                                                             

This very appealing.  Knowing that we've barely "scratched the surface," so to speak, for trails at Alafia.  I live all the way out in Gainesville, but I just joined the club as part of a rally call at the MTBR forum to see what we can do to have Gatorback reopened.  I understand that most of the SWAMP club members who participate in trail maintenance do not ride it and are therefore not motivated to maintain Gatorback, but there are a lot of us who do cherish that trail enough to head out that way (in my case about once a month) just to get the rush of bombing down those trails.  It's unfortunate that many of us who enjoy Gatorback live several hours away, but we are ready to do our part and pitch.  I've never rode the TOE, but the loss of Razorback was a big loss for me and loosing Gatorback would just be more salt on this wound. 

I know that a lot of good stuff is being built at Alafia, with more big plans, but to get Gatorback reopened, what kind of effort do we need to put together, in terms of number or crew members, hours of regular maintenance?

The problem we have with this type of trail is the over abundance of maintenance that it needs to stay rideable, not to mention that the trails are open to the public and anyone can and will ride what they shouldn't - i.e. not enough skills for the trail.  Also, of those who do ride the more technical trails, there are those who do not know how as they skid down it.  That on top of erosion from rain and you soon have a trail that cannot sustain the use and abuse it receives.  Building sustainable trails that can hold up to the traffic and still be a fun adrenaline rush are favored over what cannot be maintained and become dangerous to ride.  It won't be closed forever, but instead made better with less maintenance to keep it open.  If it is built in such a way as a liability to the land owners because someone gets hurt, then you should understand that it will be closed.  The present problem is because some $hit for brains took it upon himself to enter and ride a closed trail.  (Kind of like dangling your legs over a tigers moat. That persons fault, but who gets charged? That's right, the land managers.)

For now, we just have to wait until new plans are made for the trail and join in when the call is made to work on that trail.  Also, the Rangers office is on the way in and out and can answer any trail questions.
Cyclopod
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 10:21:56 AM »

Of all the parks that SWAMP maintains, how many have a cover charge?  I've only been to Alafia mostly and once to Boyette (maybe twice for this weekend).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: