SWAMP Community Forums
March 24, 2008, 02:40:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Squiggy Classic 6 Hour Mountain Bike Race (Mar 8, 2008), 2008 Results  here. How did you do?

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mavic Crossmax Users?  (Read 479 times)
scooter
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »

Hey Maxi users, I am looking for your feedback on your satisfaction level with this wheelset. I was ready to pull the trigger yesterday after confirming stock with my LBS only to arrive and find they were ST's rather than the SL's I specified over the phone Sad This gave me a little time to check out LINK'S bike shop off of John's road by the airport. This gave me another option of a custom built wheelset of the DT Swiss variety. So I am trying to weigh the pro's and con's of both.
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:23:14 PM »

I had a set of Crossmax Sl's, and several other set's of Mavic wheels. The wheel's themselves are pretty tough, but the freehub IME is not so good. I've since built 2 sets of wheels with King hubs and Mavic 819 rims and haven't had a problem since.

my other ride has 599 more hp.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:47 AM »

Gotta love Chris Kings!

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Harvey
Ride Guide
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:04:45 AM »

I've been running CrossMax since 2001. They have been bomber wheelsets considering how light they are and have lasted just as long, if not longer, than other custom-built wheelsets I've had.

The freehub on the '05 and '06 SLs were somewhat suspect and need regular cleaning to keep them spinning nice. They seemed to have fixed the problem in '07, though, as I've never had to clean the freehub on my SLR (knock on wood).

BeerCan
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »

never had crossmax but I have had (hub wise) King's, DT Swiss and Hopes.  IMO King's are overrated bling.  If you go custom I would use DT Swiss 240s or Hope Pro II.  I have about 1k on my DT's and about 4k on my hopes with no problems.  These hubs are also easier to maintain than kings which is an added bonus (besides the $$ saved)

Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever
scooter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »

If I have them built, it will be a DT 240 hub and DT 4.2D rim combo. I have spent a lot of time agonizing over all the available combinations and this setup seems to what I am after. The only thing I like more about the Mavic is that fore drilling, which takes away the need for a rim strip to go tubeless as there are no spoke holes. I have fore drilling on a set of crosstrails and added air for the first time yesterday in 3 months. That is with no sealant either just a true UST tire and lots of suds during the install Smiley
Endo70
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »

Upgrading to crossmax from crosstrails? Were you not satisfied with the crosstrails?
scooter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »

No, I love my Crosstrails and would not trade them for the world, well maybe for some Crossmax ST's they are on my Trance and are a poor mans Crossmax Grin I am looking to upgrade the wheelset on my Anthem and was trying to compare apples to oranges, that is Crossmax SL's to a Custom built wheelset consisting of DT Swiss components. Did you get your Crosstrails?
Endo70
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »

Gotta get with Factore this week - see if I can pick his up! I am upgrading from my DT420s on my 07 Stumpy FSR. Grin
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:18:54 PM »

FactorE has pulled a Houdini, no one has seen or heard from him since right after Thanksgiving. Hope he is alright.

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »

I thought you were going to say FactorE pulled a Ken for a minute Gregg! Wink

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »

I thought you were going to say FactorE pulled a Ken for a minute Gregg! Wink

Nah, he didn't kill anyone.

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
scooter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:21:01 PM »

Well after spending a couple hours with Abner owner and master wheel builder from Links Bike shop I have decieded to go the custom hand built route. Abner had just finished relacing the rear wheel off my tandem and his attention to detail as well as his honest sincerity in building you the best wheel possible made my decision a no brainer. For those of you not familiar with him or his shop I highly recomend you check him out. Dude knows bikes. He is located off Johns road off Hillsborough and Benjamin road. You should see what used to be an unsightly tandem rear wheel is now a sick triple butted and tined and soldered sexy beast of a wheel. I think I dropped about a pound and gained stiffness galore Smiley
scooter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »

Oh yeah, Abners phone # is 888-7900. By the way, I just put the wheel on the bike and spun it up and I am totally geeking Grin Go check this guy out!
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight: SS29er wannabe

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 07:32:12 PM »

Abner who?      Wink

SandPine's Ride Reports
"I have a 3-speeds bike: Seat, Stand, & Walk!" Anonymous
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: