SWAMP Community Forums
March 30, 2008, 02:12:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Try our live Chat function.  Click the Chat menu button and wait for other users to enter the room.  Log in to the Forum to see the Chat button.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of action for a while  (Read 456 times)
cryptiq
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »

couple of things.
First off, C-dale will let you upgrade to different frame if you want, so long as you pay the difference. But you would have to pick a frame that will work with the Rush swingarm. I know this because the frame I warrantied was a 1FG and they let me get a new Caffeine frame.
Good to know.  I feel kind of bad asking for anything different at this point since they already placed an order, but I'll keep this in mind for the future.  Maybe if I had brought the saddle in the first time I would have received a more personalized experience and we could have discussed other frame options...who knows.

Second off, I firmly believe you get what you pay for, and that includes customer service. IMO it is well worth paying a bit more or driving a little further to a good business. You also need to develope a good relationship with your LBS. I do almost all my own work on my stuff, but when I first got the bike I could take it in a get something done on the spot, even drug some of my buddies bikes up there and gotten the same treatment even though my buddies haven't ever been there. If the place you are going won't do that, find a place that will and give them your business!
I couldn't agree more.  While I've heard some negative things about this LBS I'm still willing to give them a shot and I'll give them my business until I have a rotten experience.  When I went in Tuesday night I heard the manager lecturing one of the employees, so I think someone is getting the picture there, maybe they'll shape up.

My LBS would have probably let you ride one of their demo bikes for the weekend if they were available.
That's awesome, that's how you should run a business like this IMO.  I didn't really expect this level of service, but I think it would be a great way to set you apart from the rest if you offered it.  If I ever purchase a more expensive bike I'll definitely do more research about the service before hand.

They can't deny the claim no matter what seatpost is in it, unless the seatpost is too short. You have to admit it would look pretty suspicious to bring the bike up there with a crinkled seat tube and no post or seat on the bike. They get those JRA stories all the time.
That's good to know.  I was under the impression that changing components could void your warranty.  I guess it depends to what extreme they want to take it.  And yes, in hindsight I understand the suspicions about the missing seat.  I just wish the 2nd tech would have said something like, where is the seat?  Then I could have easily explained I moved it over to my new seat post, and when I went to install the new post, I noticed the frame issue.  Instead we kinda got headed down the wrong path.  I have thick skin though, I'm over it.  I think we're back on track now and I'm expecting a positive resolution.

Lastly, I have no intention of changing my post. I was simply asking so I know what not to buy! I like to know what people use and like, as well as what they break/hate. Might save me a dollar in the future. Wink
I wasn't really implying that you should go back to the stock post, just that it might be a good idea to hold on to it.  But as you stated, it really should be a non-issue as long as you're using a post suited for your bike/needs.  If I bend this Race Face post, I'll definitely consider spending the money on a Thomson.  I have a tight budget with my wedding coming up so I didn't want to go overboard, figured what I purchased was a decent upgrade from stock.  And FWIW, I don't entirely blame the seat post, I'm sure incorrect body positioning on the bike was a factor.  That's just something I have to work on.  I find it tricky to be back off your seat for a downhill and then get up and forward for a quick transition to a steep uphill.  Wish I could ride every day, I love this stuff!

I've tasted death, it could use some hot sauce.
cryptiq
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »

I am sure that Cannondale will do the "right thing". They have earned a good reputaion in the industry, I would be shocked if they did not replace your frame.
That's what I wanted to hear...I'm expecting a little more professionalism if I actually have the opportunity to interact w/ the c-dale rep.

I do believe that the bike shop that you purchased your bike from should be working as your advocate, not trying to catch you in something dishonest.
I often say that the advantage to purchasing bikes, and components locally, instead of online is that you have someone to handle warranty issues. That assurance of service is the only reason that you could justify paying more.
Yeah that's what initially had me frustrated.  I told them the truth about what happened, if it's up to c-dale to make a decision to honor the warranty then leave it at that...I pretty much felt like I was being called a liar when they said it looks suspicious.  They already have my money, and will get more money out of me since I have to pay to have the bike re-assembled.  I do buy a lot of things online...but I knew better than to purchase the bike online and instead I paid a little more and purchased from a LBS.  No big deal IF you get the service that you're paying extra for  Smiley  So let's just see what happens from here.

cryptiq
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »

Holy cow...last week the bike store told me the c-dale rep would probably be in this week...today they said it could be 2-3 weeks before he shows up.  Does that sound right?  Has anyone else waited this long for a frame warranty issue?

I'm getting discouraged because I get the impression that if it was a frame failure that they're more used to seeing that maybe there would be no question about the warranty.  In other words, does the c-dale rep have to inspect every frame before initiating the warranty process?

It would have been nice if I could remove the wheels and handle bar and just ship the frame directly to c-dale instead of waiting for a field rep.

Any way, guess I'll call c-dale directly, that seems crazy to have to wait that long.  Normally I'd probably be OK with waiting, but I depend on my bike to help me lose weight.  I've got 2 months now until my wedding. 

scooter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I would contact C-dale directly.
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »

I agree, that is a bit much to wait that long.

my other ride has 599 more hp.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »

I'm not sure about every warranty, but at Chainwheel DR. the reps usually look at them but they're in there alot anyway.  I'd definately call them direct.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: