SWAMP Community Forums
March 30, 2008, 02:19:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Squiggy Classic 6 Hour Mountain Bike Race (Mar 8, 2008), 2008 Results  here. How did you do?

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Speed conversion  (Read 287 times)
SubDude
SWAMPer
First Bike

« on: January 21, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »

Is there anyone out there that has done a conversion to single speed.   I wanting to do the conversion to my hardtail and was wondering if there are any common pitfalls or good lessons learned.  Thanks.
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »

I have a c-dale caffeine frame I converted to SS. I first tried to run it with a Singulator, but was getting chain skip under heavy pedal pressure. I did find the "magic" gear combo that allows me to use no singulator. My advice is to find that "magic" combo, whether it is with a half-link or whatever.

my other ride has 599 more hp.
steve
Huffy Rider

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:26:55 PM »

I have a c-dale caffeine frame I converted to SS. I first tried to run it with a Singulator, but was getting chain skip under heavy pedal pressure. I did find the "magic" gear combo that allows me to use no singulator. My advice is to find that "magic" combo, whether it is with a half-link or whatever.
Who was putting heavy pedal pressure on your bike?
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »

I'm pretty fat, and us slow guys can occasionally lean forward just right and get some pedal pressue. How ya been Steve?

SubDude
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:38:16 AM »

Is a singulator some sort of chain tensioner?  I would assume that there are companies out there that sell conversion kits?
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:30:22 AM »

yeah, a singulator is a tensioner. All you really need is a spacer kit and gear for the rear wheel, and a gear for the crank. They probably sell kits though, some of the big on-line places.

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

ssrigid29erposer whoneedsknees nostandingup

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »

Helpful link http://www.sheldonbrown.com/.
Deal on single speed conversion, sample http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23062&subcategory_ID=5132

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous

http://treadlight-mtb.blogspot.com/
http://pinoymtbiker.proboards7.com/index.cgi
SubDude
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »

Thanks for the great info!
steve
Huffy Rider

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 08:10:58 AM »

I'm pretty fat, and us slow guys can occasionally lean forward just right and get some pedal pressue. How ya been Steve?
Doin great hope your the same,you doin the 6 sun? (red?)
monkeyboy
Ride Guide
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »

If you have some cash that  you can play with I would recommend getting a White Industries Eno hub then you do not have to deal with all the hassle of trying to fond the magic combo.  I have been riding my eno hub for a while and I love it.  I did the Shenandoah 100 on it.  Great way to convert

MoNkEyS on bikes! ! !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: