Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Croom 50  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Croom 50
« on: January 21, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »
Hello -- Does anyone know how may SAG stops there are on the Croom 35/50 and where they will be set up?

Also, I see that riders can leave the start area anytime they like between 8:30 and 9:30. Is there any etiquette we should be aware of as to who starts when?

Thanks

Offline SubDude

• First Bike
Re: Croom 50
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
 I dont think that there is any etiquette as to when you start, just be mindful of other riders during the course of the ride if you are being overtaken,etc.  I could be wrong but that makes sense.   
On another note,  For those that have done this ride before.  Does the campgrounds listed on the CROOM info page fill up and if so is there anywhere else that people camp at?   

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »
I never camp'ed at Croom so I don't know.  But the campground across from the start didn't seemed it was full last year.  It always rains or has the last two years.  I believe there is another camp ground close by there anyway.

As for when to start... start when you are ready after they say is okay to start.  Yield the trail to faster riders behind you.   Most will ask you anyway.  There will be three sag stops before the final dinner sag at the end.  The first one is just off Croom road on the blue trail by parking lot #1.  Is about 14 miles.  The second is usually  around "12 mile bail out" Northeast part of blue trail.  That is about 25 miles into the overall ride.  If you are doing the 35 miler then that is your last sag before the finish back on yellow on Parking lot 3 by the firetower.  if you do the 50 mile then you have another sag before the blue trail goes south and crosses Croom road one more time.  That is about 40 miles into the ride.  Then the final again.

I'll be at the Sunday Croom ride doing the 35 mile route during the swamp club ride.  You all are welcome to join me just bring plenty of water for 4 hour ride.  Ride out at 9am.  Chilled pace.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:05:18 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:10:16 AM »
I've been waiting for the official word on the sags before responding, and they will be the same as last year, just as SandPine said.

#1 at 12 miles
#2 at 24 miles
#3 at 39 miles (50 mile course only)

If all hard options are taken on the course, the 35 mile course is ~36 miles and the 50 mile course is ~50 miles. Easy options and shortcuts can cut your individual mileage.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Now I just hope not to get lost in the hilly section before the 12 mile bailout. I always get turned around in there.

Offline Lynne

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »
I found a map at http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/regions/westcentral/trails/with_croom_bicycle.htm that shows primitive camping is allowed at the trailhead.  Is this true?  Is there parking close to the camping area, or do I need to figure out a way to carry the tent etc into the woods a ways?  i.e.  Do I bring the little tent or the big one?

I've camped at Silver Lake before.  It was nice. I arrived on a Wednesday or Thursday and left on a Friday.  It was quiet during the week but appeared to be filling up for that particular weekend.  I think that was in November and the weather was perfect for camping.  Does anyone know if I can get in there after 6PM on Friday or if they close for the night?

lynne@waywardpoints.com

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:36:58 AM »
You can't camp at the Tucker Hill trailhead, but there's a hike-in campsite on the hiking trail, heading north from the trailhead. I'm not sure how far it is, but if that's what you're going to do I'd keep your stuff light.

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »
The camping area on the A-loop hiking trail isn't far at all. When I run out there, I'm passing through that spot within a few minutes. As the crow flies, I'd guess less than half a mile from Tucker Hill.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:09:20 AM »
You can't camp at the Tucker Hill trailhead, ...
  Isn't that open to RV's though?  I am not too sure but I think I seen RV's overnight there.

I'll be at the Sunday Croom ride doing the 35 mile route..
  For that one person that asked me if he could tag alog, sorry but I can't make it now.  Not sure if anyone else will do a long ride Sunday.  Usually they go 15-25 miles.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »
yeah it's me--I figured I would tell you guys to keep an eye out for me in the pits area when you ride through. Guess you guys won't have time to stop and say hello but you are more than welcome to. Have a good race.
Mike Cole

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 12:00:16 AM »
Holy Crap!!  Noble's back!!  We've missed your witty banter! ;D ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 08:07:20 AM »
He didn't really go away, he just lurks in the backround.  ;D  I will be looking for you  in the pits Noble.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
You might have to look up to see me--I spend a lot of time in the air! And yeah, I lurk--beware! ;D
Mike Cole

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 03:46:27 PM »
You might have to look up to see me--I spend a lot of time in the air! And yeah, I lurk--beware! ;D

I will look up!  ;D ;D   See you there.

touche'

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »
I might only be riding my board now--I destroyed both of my rims the other day! Bummer. But I will be there.
Mike Cole

Advertisement: