Author Topic: Training for Squiggy 6 Hr Solo  (Read 1525 times)

Offline JasonD

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
Training for Squiggy 6 Hr Solo
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »
I have been trying to build up my endurance for the Squiggy. My goal this year is to make it out for some competitions -- mostly XC, not super-endurance (50's, 100's, 24hr) yet, but we'll see  ;).

Anyway, I am so close to the Wilderness trails that the Squiggy makes sense. So my basic training routine right now is Monday through Friday, I ride with my son to school at 65% - 75% Max HR (about 5 miles) as a warm up. Then I ride another 3 or so miles to the Bruce B Downs entrance and jump right on to Panther - I take main through the paved loop, to the "Y," then Eubanks, 1800, cross Morris Bridge, Heartbreak, Washboard, Indian, and depending how I feel, either Gator Bait or Misery or Speedway (Main) out to Hole in the fence. I try to maintain 80% heart rate when I turn into the park off Bruce B Downs, and I don't make any stops until I get home. It is about 5 or so miles from Hole in the fence to my house, and I keep 80% until I'm about 15 minutes from home. Then I drop down as low as I can (usually around 65%). My daily morning ride usually falls between 25 and 30 miles. Twice a week I add a yoga workout after I get home. I will also get another 8 - 10 mile ride in the evening to pick my son up. All this is on my only bike, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (Hardtail).

I have been drinking a Hammer Recoverite drink when I get home, and I have been a little sore, but nothing outrageous.

I will be adding some 4 hour rides and maybe a 6 hour ride on the weekends to make sure that I am set for the saddle time...

My next focus will be to add some technical riding to get my technical skills up - right now, this is my second weakness after endurance. I plan to attend the next advanced skills class, and I try to ride tougher trails (Boyette and Alafia) when I get the chance.

Sorry about the long "dump" - if anyone has any comments, I would be really grateful!
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Re: Training for Squiggy 6 Hr Solo
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »
Good read Jason, it's good to hear about different things that people focus on. The heart rate percents are a good point i would think.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline JasonD

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:47:52 AM »
I have a good friend who races triathlons that set up my heart rate training program. It has been doing wonders for my endurance!

So Ken, do you have any kind of specific training you do for the longer rides? What about the cyclocross stuff?
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »
Nothing scientific. I just put in alot of miles. I try to keep in my heart rate zone at different levels, 25%and 75%, with a few hard spikes to get the heart rate up. I vary the rides in distance, usually from 30 to 65 miles with the ocassional longer ride mixed in. I also do some climbing intervals on the overpasses to help me in that area. Lately I've been doing 40's and 50's back to back days (2-4 in a row) wiith only one short rest stop. Being in Clearwater I ride my road bike on the Pinellas trail alot with some added routes to get the higher mileage.

As for the cross stuff, I try to practice on the course while it's still up inbetween races. But I know the route and can still ride it. Kinda like mountain biking, I work on those spots that give me trouble, and look for better lines. I also try to do faster laps at a steady pace all though that goes out the window when the race starts. The one thing that I've learned, and I have to force myself to remember and do it, is to control my breathing. When I do I can lower my heart rate and don't bonk as soon. But for the most part it's all out for 10 laps of 1 1/2 miles and collapse. The course is all grass ( the grass kills me) and soft dirt, the rain has packed it but with all we've had it's muddy, with about 8 short steep cimbs and 2 longer ones. One is right after a muddy section and a turn so you have no speed to help you and you really have to stand on the pedals to make the climb. Alot of the Cat 1 and Men's A  racers were having problems with that section.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:23:28 AM »
I got away from the Squiggy a little bit , but I try to keep a steady pace at WT and push for a higer average speed. I've also set a personal goal to do a 50 there once a month. I think Gregg mentioned doing that also.

Offline JasonD

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »
A friend just showed me that there is a 'cross training course at trout creek (for the USF team). There is an area tucked between the levy and the river near the dam that isn't marked. They follow a winding course through the pine trees, up the side of the levy, etc. for their track. I haven't seen any obstacles, but it is all grass, and the levy is pretty steep there.

I have thought that cyclocross would be an interesting sport to try - really intense stuff!
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

scooter

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »
Hey J DOGG, me and Mike are planning to hit Trout creek Monday morning if you can make it. :)

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 08:02:39 AM »
Someone awhile back wrote about a trail they used to get around he river because the dam gate was shut. They said it looked like it hadn't been used in a while and I wonder if that's the same one? When I'm over there again I'll try to find it. I'd like to take my cross bike over there to do the loop anyway.
  Yes Cyclocross is intense in a short time frame. It's usually only about an hour long course. It's not as intense as the stuff they do up north, but challenging. In the past our series was four races in Largo, but this year ("Lance Riddle", Series Organizer, also a semi-pro road racer), Expanded it to 10-12 races throughout Florida ranging from Tallahassee to Miami. Lance always keeps it challenging and progressivlely tougher each year. Alot of racers from up north do the series so they can ride due to bad weather up north and to tune up for the regular road race season. It's called the "Citrus City Cyclocross Series" and there's a link to it at www.chainwheeldrive.com and also at www.floridacycling.com . The last race is this Sunday behind the Largo library off East Bat Dr. just east of Missouri Ave. If you don't have a cross bike that's okay, alot of good racers are using mountain bikes to race.  It's a family thing for me as everyone rides, (except my wife and my oldest son this year), and they use their mountain bikes.. Even thoguh it's competitive, everyone is very supportive, encouraging and courteous. It's also cool to watch even if you don't ride it. It all starts at 9:15 and is over usually around 12:30 - 1:00. The awards and final race party are at O'Houston's Irish Pub (just west of the library across Missouri Ave. to the west on West Bay Dr.), with the race and party theme is "Party Like A Belgian!" Maybe we could get a Swamp cyclocross team together for next year?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 10:31:28 AM »
I got away from the Squiggy a little bit , but I try to keep a steady pace at WT and push for a higer average speed. I've also set a personal goal to do a 50 there once a month. I think Gregg mentioned doing that also.

Indeed he did mention that.

One of the things that I have been doing that seems to help, is on the days that I do not ride, I go to the gym and use the eliptical trainer. The leg motions are very similar to a pedaling motion, but there is no freewheel, so you have to keep pedaling at a steady pace. Since I have been doing this my average speeds have come up a lot, and don't need to stop very often while riding. On this past tuesday, I rode the loop that would usually be done on the Tuesday evening rides durring the summer, 16.5 miles including Heartbreak Ridge and I came in at 12.6 mph.......This is way way way faster than I could have done just a few months ago. The week before I did it at 11.9.

The eliptical keeps me at 65 percent of my max heart rate for the duration of my work out. I usually do it for 1 and 1/2 hours, some times more, some times less.

Offline JasonD

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
Wow Gregg! Those are amazing results!

Scott - I might be able to make it Monday - I'll try to get in touch beforehand to figure it out...

Ken, I was the one who mentioned the alternate route from the dam - this is on the north side of the river, while the cyclocross track is on the south. I don't know if I'll be able to make the race this Sunday, we've got family coming in town, but I am definitely interested to check it out...
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »
Thanks Jason! I am pretty pleased.

Scoooooter, I am going to try and avoid any appointments for Monday morning so maybe, just maybe I will be there. I will call you Sunday to let you know.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 09:52:21 PM »
Gregg, I need to get with you and do a ride to compare our results. i don't know how I'll match up but if you can bear with me it would help me determine what I need to work on.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 09:10:29 AM »
Gregg, I need to get with you and do a ride to compare our results. i don't know how I'll match up but if you can bear with me it would help me determine what I need to work on.

Absolutely!!! I would like that. Call me.

Offline SouthernAvalanche

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 10:22:12 AM »
I think about doing these every year but I do not......What Trails did they use last year?
Thanks