Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Brake squeal  (Read 4813 times)

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Brake squeal
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »
I've seen posts on this before, in fact I've asked about it before myself. I can't remember seeing a solution. But it's driving me absolutly crazy. Those of you that have ridden with me can attest, the noise is very annoying and distracting. I am desperate to have it fixed before riding 50 miles next week. It is a high pitched hum. That's the best I can describe it. I've tried several bike shops and have had no success. It does seem to come and go. When I spin the wheel when I'm not on the bike it does not make the sound. While riding, if I tap the brake it stops for a while but eventually begins again. The brakes are Avid Juicy 5's. Just pushing the bike inside today my wife gave me a look. I wonder if it could be a wheel issue instead of a brake issue. ???
If anyone can help let me know. 
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

scooter

Re: Brake squeal
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »
This seems to be common place with the Avid rotors. A friend had his dream bike built by a LBS with the juicy 7's with the same problem. After much head scratching they installed Hayes rotors, no more squeal :) I ride with some other Avid users and this seems common place, don't know what or why this is so. Before changing rotors try removing them and clean both mating surfaces with rubbing alcohol(hub and rotor)and reassemble.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:40:42 PM »
have you tried different pads? Does it only do it when braking or all the time? You ever get anything on the rotors? I had an instance where I layed a spare wheel in the back seat of the truck and it got leather conditioner off the seats on it, OMG it screamed! I sanded the rotor lightly with some 1500 grit sandpaper, then wiped it real good with alchohol, and replaced the pads.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »
Check all of the bolts holding the rotor on, and caliper bolts as well as tightness of the pads.  Any looseness will cause them to squeal.  Also, clean the rotors thoroughly with alcohol.  If the rotors and pads became contaminated by touching them, or lube or something accidentally got on them it can cause squealing. 

You might have to install new pads and clean the rotor real good in addition to making sure everything is tight and aligned.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:33:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I've tried cleaning them with alchohol.
They don't squeal when braking. In fact after braking they become silent for a short time.
I have tried new pads.
To my knowledge they have not been comtaminated. But you never know.
I will check the bolts on the rotor.
I can't seem to get the rotor aligned just right.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »
If they squeal when you are not braking the brakes aren't set-up properly. It is just a matter of getting the caliper setup so it doesn't rub when not applied. Also check to make sure you don't have a piston sticking out and not returning. Use a pair of gloves and use the rotor and push it both ways to make the pistons retract, then apply the brake a few times while watching both pistons and make sure they both come out evenly, and they should retract slightly when released. Sometimes the pistons stick for whatever reason, and this sometimes can correct that.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 07:15:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I've tried cleaning them with alchohol.
They don't squeal when braking. In fact after braking they become silent for a short time.
I have tried new pads.
To my knowledge they have not been comtaminated. But you never know.
I will check the bolts on the rotor.
I can't seem to get the rotor aligned just right.

I've had tons of problems with my Juicy 3's squealing.  The most effective remedy I have found so far is to re-align the caliper by loosening the mounting bolts, squeezing the brake a few times, holding it and re-tightening the caliper body.   

The squealing happens for me when i am NOT braking and is coming from the rear brake.  This has been a pretty serious issue with me and it is inevitable that I will soon replace my juicy's with formula's.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »
mksandoz- That sounds very familiar. I've had pretty srious brake rub problems as well.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
Firebiker,
   Have you had your caliper mounts faced? Due to mass production and low machining  tolerances, alot of the caliper mounts are not perfectly aligned to the rotors. Most disc brake companies tell you to have the mounts faced which aligns the rotor and caliper, preventing pre mature wear, noise and poor performance. I have Shimano deore's and had some noise problems after first purchasing my bike. My bike shop told me they needed to be faced. I couldn't understand why any company(all of them they said), wouldn't do that themselves. But after having them faced I have had no problems what so ever. I have over 4,000 miles on my bike and have only replaced the pads three times and have had no noise except when they have gotten wet. Cost was about $30.00 approximately. Well worth the investment!
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »
I've got Juicy 3's and the only issue I had was when I first got my bike, the front brake rubbed a bit. I took it to LBS and they did a quick readjust, and no problems, noises, etc....
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
Have you noticed it more after the bike has been ridden for a bit? I've adjusted my calipers until there was no rubbing, adjusted the pads down so that the brakes were pretty tight but still space between the pads and the rotor. Then went for a ride, not even an off rode ride, just on the pinellas trail or something and after a little bit I can here it slightly. It builds and gets worse until I loosen up the brakes until there is a big space between the rotors and pads. The brakes still work but I have to grab a lot more lever than I want to. I've taken it in for tune ups with the same results. My bike shop has not mentioned machining.
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »
Have you noticed it more after the bike has been ridden for a bit? I've adjusted my calipers until there was no rubbing, adjusted the pads down so that the brakes were pretty tight but still space between the pads and the rotor. Then went for a ride, not even an off rode ride, just on the pinellas trail or something and after a little bit I can here it slightly. It builds and gets worse until I loosen up the brakes until there is a big space between the rotors and pads. The brakes still work but I have to grab a lot more lever than I want to. I've taken it in for tune ups with the same results. My bike shop has not mentioned machining.
[/quote

Yes. It's usually more noticible after riding a while. At the Croom 50 they were silent until mile 20. Then they were squealing for 15 miles then stopped for a few miles before continuing for the remainder of the ride. I'm about ready to get new brakes.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
You can shim them to align them left to right but if they are not parallel to the rotor you'll get uneven pad contact and until they wear down till they're flush you still might get the squeal. If  you've shimed and adjusted maybe the pads are contaminated with grease or some other substance. Mine made a little noise at first which is normal from what the manufactures say, but should wear in after 20-30 miles. The surfacing on mine cured the problem and I haven't had a problem since and I'm on my third set of pads at 4,400 miles.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
It was silent until the 20 miles that I was behind his squealing *. I was glad when he pulled away a bit. I am still hearing it in my sleep. ;D

Offline rookie peddler

• First Bike
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »
When I switched from BB7 to Juicy 7, I had a terrible squealing problem. After swapping the rotors that came with BB7 (roundagon) with the newer ones (G2 clean sweep rotor), the annoying high-pitch bug repellent almost disappeared totally. However my problem only exists when brakes are engaged, so not sure if my experience will be of any help. Good luck!

Advertisement: