Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Short Road Section at Croom  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Short Road Section at Croom
« on: January 27, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
Hey -- Looking at the 50-mile route for the Croom Challenge, I take it that there is a  section where riders ride on the gravel road for about half a mile before turning right off the road and back on to the last 10 or so miles of the challenge. Is this correct? Thanks.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Short Road Section at Croom
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:43:04 AM »
Hey -- Looking at the 50-mile route for the Croom Challenge, I take it that there is a  section where riders ride on the gravel road for about half a mile before turning right off the road and back on to the last 10 or so miles of the challenge. Is this correct? Thanks.

I haven't seen the route, but sounds like that might be the 35 challenge.  Harvey could tell you for sure.  I'm in for the whole 50!  The pain will go away!

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:03:12 AM »
The dirt road section is about 1.5 miles, about 40 miles into the 50. You pop out of the south side trails onto Croom Road, hang a left and jump back in on the north Yellow.

Besides that, it's all singletrack.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »
Thanks Harvey. I wanted to make sure I had the route straight. I came out onto the road on Sunday and wasn't sure whether to go right or left.  I went left and a few minutes later saw the two yellow arrows on the north side of the road pointing back onto the trail. I figured that was it.

I ended up riding about 32 miles of the 50 mile route. I thought the route was well marked, especially through the hilly sections near the 8-mile and 12-mille bailouts. For someone who doesn't ride Croom very often, it was nice to know where to turn. Thanks for all your hard work putting up the signs. 

Pray for rain so the track stays firm.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:29:42 PM »
I came out onto the road on Sunday and wasn't sure whether to go right or left.
That was a result of 2 things: I ran out of signs and couldn't mark the green bailout that goes from the south red to Croom Road, and I like to wait until the day before the ride to put up the signs next to the road so the redne...er...other forest users don't tear them down.

You got it right, though.

Rain is in the forecast for Wednesday. Even if it stays dry, the trails are so packed they'll still be sweet.

Advertisement: