Author Topic: Squiggy for a beginner?  (Read 5070 times)

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
Squiggy for a beginner?
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »
I've been thinking of giving the Squiggy a shot for my first race.  Not expecting to win the event or anything...I just want to get out there, ride, and feed my inner competitive animal that has been stored up for a few years.  I honestly have no idea what to expect.  Would this be a good taste of what XC and enduro racing is all about? 

What advice can you give to a complete newb to the sport? 

My wife and a couple friends have volunteered to be my support crew...is there a limit to how many people can come to help me out and keep my spirits up? 

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Squiggy for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
You'll love your first race experience!  My first was the 13 Hours of Santos last year.  It was a blast!!  Since your new to the sport, you might want to get a few riding buddies together and form a relay team.  It will be a great experience any way you decide to tackle it.  It doesn't matter how fast you go or where you place just as long as you have a great time with it.  :)
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »
I've been thinking of giving the Squiggy a shot for my first race.  Not expecting to win the event or anything...I just want to get out there, ride, and feed my inner competitive animal that has been stored up for a few years.  I honestly have no idea what to expect.  Would this be a good taste of what XC and enduro racing is all about? 

What advice can you give to a complete newb to the sport? 

My wife and a couple friends have volunteered to be my support crew...is there a limit to how many people can come to help me out and keep my spirits up? 

Come out have fun, bring as many people as you want. There is no limit.

Offline JasonD

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:18:32 AM »
I am racing the Squiggy as my first race also. The format is either a 6 hour solo or team relay. The idea is that you try to get in as many laps in the alloted time. Traditional XC races are raced on a set course, and the first rider to cross the finish line wins.

The 2 reasons I am racing Squiggy as my "virgin" racing experience is 1) I am very familiar with the trails - and they are relatively easy 2) The 6 hour solo format, in my mind at least, puts more of an emphasis on individual performance and completing laps - I'm not trying to do a hundred laps - depending on the course, I can set a goal for the number of laps I want to compete.

I do expect to compete this year when XC season starts back up, so I think the Squiggy will give me a feel of being a part of the competition.

If you'd like to meet up sometime and do a training ride, let me know. I'm out there frequently.
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
Cool beans.  Thanks for the info.  I'm mailing in my registration tomorrow. 

Here is an odd question.  So what if nature calls half way through my lap?  Would I be considered off course?  Or should I just pull the psycho astronaut maneuver and wear an adult diaper? 

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
Cool beans.  Thanks for the info.  I'm mailing in my registration tomorrow. 

Here is an odd question.  So what if nature calls half way through my lap?  Would I be considered off course?  Or should I just pull the psycho astronaut maneuver and wear an adult diaper? 

Hang it over the bar and pee, unless you're not that big and need to stop and water the bushes.   ;D

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:52 PM »
Wat too funny guys!!! ;D Watch out for the pigs though! ;)
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »

Hang it over the bar and pee, unless you're not that big and need to stop and water the bushes.   ;D

Not sure about that idea.  I shudder to think what would happen if it slips off the bar and finds its way down to the spoke area.   :o

On a more serious note, when does everyone know what the official course will be?  Is it the day before, the day of, or....?  I'm trying to hit up most of the more difficult trails as part of my normal routine (Indian and Heartbreak specifically). 

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »
As I understand it, it's all in the southern part of the trails. It should be pretty good. This isn't my first race, but it might as well be. I'm really looking forward to it.
Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »
On a more serious note, when does everyone know what the official course will be?  Is it the day before, the day of, or....?  I'm trying to hit up most of the more difficult trails as part of my normal routine (Indian and Heartbreak specifically). 

In the past the course had us going down the right side of the two track towards the powerlines to Techno Pig to Hog Wild to Speedway to The Pits to Gator Bait to Indian to powerlines to Wash Board to Heart Break Ridge back up the two track to the START/FINISH.  Should be between 9.5 and 10 miles.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:02:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info thus far.  Speedway...is that the fast curvy portion of the main trail by the hole in the fence?  I'm assuming The Pits is the sandy hilly area right when you enter the hole in the fence?  Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't heard these names before.

Last question for now....how early does one have to get to the lot to get a parking spot (or two) in the paved parking area?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:06:35 PM by Alan »

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »
Is Heartbeak Ridge that railroad track berm with all the roots on it?  So is the start/finish area that parking lot off of Fletcher, and is there room for everybody or do people park all over and ride in to the start/finish area?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »
Ells,

Yes, Heartbreak Ridge is the rooty trail up near the river.

No, the start finish line is up on the other side right up by the river, further up Morris bridge road which is what Fletcher becomes on the east side of I 75. There are two parking areas there and should be plenty of parking.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 08:00:37 PM »
Start/finish down by the gazebo?   Are you doing the race? Team or solo?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »

I tired that last week and ended up pissing on my handlebars - not recommended.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »
On a less disgusting note, scooter and I will be racing in the squiggy.  Any other two person teams planning on participating?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
On a less disgusting note, scooter and I will be racing in the squiggy.  Any other two person teams planning on participating?

Humberto and I will be a team - The Zoom Boys.  Looking forward to it!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
Start/finish down by the gazebo?   Are you doing the race? Team or solo?

The start finish is at the edge of the parking lot, on the gravel road. Yes I will actually be on a bike this year instead of walking with a cane. I am going to be on a two man team.   

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 08:42:58 AM »

I tired that last week and ended up pissing on my handlebars - not recommended.

Note to self:  Don't buy used handlebars from mksandoz :D

Offline Jersh

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 11:26:41 AM »
I've decided I'm going to sit this years event out... I haven't had enough time lately to ride so I'll be volunteering my services as a photographer to cover the Mountain Bike race as well as other events.  I'm hoping to get some good action shots of you racers that will help promote the club and future races.  I'm hoping to find some SAFE locations on the race course where I can get some good shots... I'll definitely be out of the way so as not to interfere with the race but also noticeable enough so I don't spook anyone (at least not anymore than my ugly mug would normally scare someone).  So if you see me out there, make sure you don't have your man-bits hanging over the handle bars, I don't want to see that.
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
Well, if you do your photography on Heartbreak you could get a lot of pictures of people walking... or wrecking. Also, no-one is likely to have their pants down on that part of trail. That is, of course, assuming they're weaing pants.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 08:58:32 AM »
I'm one of Alan's pit crew for this race and I have a couple of newb questions. 

Are we allowed to put up a canopy?  Are we allowed to fire up the grill?  Are we allowed to bring alcohol? 

Also, I wouldn't mind taking some photo's of the riders (not a business venture, just free stuff).  Do I need to register with anyone or can I just walk out there and stay out of everyone's way?
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »
I'm one of Alan's pit crew for this race and I have a couple of newb questions. 

Are we allowed to put up a canopy?  Are we allowed to fire up the grill?  Are we allowed to bring alcohol? 

Also, I wouldn't mind taking some photo's of the riders (not a business venture, just free stuff).  Do I need to register with anyone or can I just walk out there and stay out of everyone's way?
Yes, you are allowed to put a canopy but the area is small so I don't know how you will accomplished that.
The venue is in a public park so I don't think you are allowed to bring booze.
I think its a good idea to give the event organizers a heads up just for courtesy.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »
Yes you can put up a canopy a few use EZ-Ups including myself.

I would think you could bring thee grill but Gruf has the Swampclub grill out there and selling food, Great Food That Is!

As far as alcohol, I remember quite a few beers open last year, and maybe even a few at my camp last year, but to be politically correct " I have no recollection of that"! Like Harvey says post race beers are recovery drinks.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 12:16:14 PM »
The Gruff is not cooking this year as it wasn't very successful last year.  NOt many wanted to eat burgers and hot dogs I guess.  Everything else is to expensive to make a profit.  So bring your own.  As for tent, you can setup anything on the parkint lot side.  ON the course side, that is a different story.  Maybe a table tucked away behind the tree line close the course as long as is penty away from the riders going by.

The park (Morris Bridge) is closed for any other activities for that day.  Use common sense and courtesy if you venture into the course to snap pictures.  All of us riders like to hear words of encouragement as we come by.   

Beers... well I'll have a few recovery drinks myself. 

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 01:00:23 PM »
This will be my second race and my second 6 hour (carter road was my first ever race).

I've never done these trails but several people I'm racing with have, I guess I will be baptized by fire so to speak my first lap.

Carter Road has really helped get my technical skills up, the endurance is going to be a question though, thank goodness for 3-man teams!

Offline c-dalerider

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • wishing I could ride more!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »
I am resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one b/c, I got some answers to some of my questions, but had another one (sure to have more in the future).  I am already planning on entering Squiggy next year and it will be my first ever attempt at doing anything like this ever, so I am a complete noob.

So, what is considered a entry level bike?  Is there certain criteria that my old c-dale has to meet?  Certain components etc?  I need to know ahead of time so I have plenty of time to butter up my lovely wife in case some upgrades are needed..

Thanks.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 03:11:20 PM »
As far as I know, there are no criteria for the type of bike you can have out there. 

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 08:24:24 AM »
No bike requirements, just have it in good shape and ready to ride.

Offline JasonD

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 08:57:52 AM »
If your bike can make it through all the trails between Morris Bridge (starting point of the Squiggy) and 'Hole in the Fence,' it should be fine for the race.

One wild card, however, is the weather. This past race happened after a significant rain, and muddy trails can be much harder on your bike. Because of the mud (and being a relatively new rider), I snapped my derailleur hanger after my first lap and had to continue the race on a backup 'loaner' bike.

J
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline c-dalerider

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • wishing I could ride more!
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »
great stuff guys!  Thanks...although, I was hoping you guys would tell me I need this component, that component or even just a new bike altogether!!!

;D

I will keep beating on and training on the ol' C-dale then...