Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tire opinions  (Read 5597 times)

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
Tire opinions
« on: February 01, 2008, 06:37:54 PM »
I have been "thinking" about trying a new set of tires. I currently run IRC Mythos XC kevlar 2.1's on my Fisher hard tail. I like the tires a lot and have had several sets already. They are light (565g), fast, and front/rear specific which I like but they are not very durable (sidewalls) and wear out quickly. If I switch to different tires, I want them to be bigger in volume than my current 2.1's to absorb a little more shock and possibly run a little less tire pressure (I run 38-40psi). They don't have to be as light, or roll as fast as the Mythos-but I want a little more volume with excellent traction in the corners and an all around better built tire. I would appreciate any opinions on the tires I have listed below or any others that you think would suit my needs. Thanks in advance.

I am looking at:

Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo 2.1 (front/rear specific)
Panaracer Fire XC PRO 2.1
WTB Weirwolf 2.1 (possibly paired up with a different rear tire-WTB MotoRaptor 2.1?)
WTB Velociraptor 2.1 (front/rear specific)
Panaracer Cinder ?
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: Tire opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
Uhhhhhhhh.............hello?................... ???
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
I'm a big fan of Kenda's tires.  I like the 2.1 Blue Groove in the Stick-E compound up front and either the Nevegal (more traction, slower rolling) or Small Block 8 (lighter, less traction, but great in the dry) in the rear.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 09:28:59 AM »
Just get the XC pros
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 06:43:20 PM »

scooter

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »
Didn't see that coming ;D

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
Ok, I just ordered the Panaracer Fire XC PRO's ( the real ones 127tpi made in Japan) ALL BLACK BABY- no colors here. I have a set of IRC backcountry tires and they grip well but have rust colored sidewalls and it makes my bike look stupid! I can't wait to try them out.

Offline Darren

• First Bike
  • Got Dirt?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »
I have the Panaracer Fire XC Pro's on my bike as well... been running them for years, and I really like them.
Got Fat Tire?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
Ok, I just ordered the Panaracer Fire XC PRO's ( the real ones 127tpi made in Japan) ALL BLACK BABY- no colors here. I have a set of IRC backcountry tires and they grip well but have rust colored sidewalls and it makes my bike look stupid! I can't wait to try them out.

Are you going to use the permanent black marker on the bead like you told me??

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »
Gregg talked me into getting a pair of the XC Pros.  Thay are a great tire!  I've worn the rear down past half way and it still grips like it was new.  Thanks again Gregg. :P
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »
if you want a light fast rolling tire with great grip get the kozmic lite 2's. .02 cents.

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 08:41:43 AM »

I'll see how it looks first. I'm just not a huge fan of color on tires, at least on my bike anyway. It does look cool on some bikes though. I am pretty confident that the XC Pro's will improve the ride quality over the roots due to the larger volume and better build quality, I just hope I can lean the bike over in the switchbacks like I can with the Mythos XC's. I'll probably hit up Flatwoods on Wednesday and check them out. The Fire XC Pro's seem to be the most popular xc/am tire out there, I'm sure there is a good reason. Heck, I might be trying to get everyone to switch to them just like Gregg!!!!!!! I can't say he didn't have a lot to do with my decision to switch- he is (or was anyway) a clyde like me on a hardtail and always ran lower pressure in the rear than I did and never had any problems with pinch flats or traction. Speaking of "clydes" I weighed in at the gym this morning (5:45 spin class) and I was 208lbs. That is a total of 22lbs lost by eating foods with a low Glycemic Index- I also lift weights quite a bit so it is hard to imagine being any less than 200lbs- it's pretty crazy how much "belly fat" can weigh!!!! Anyway, I will post my opinion on the tires after I ride them a bit just in case anyone wants to "make the switch" like me!!!!!!

scooter

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »
Hey Chisel Chest, are you running those Kendas tubeless?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »
Gregg talked me into getting a pair of the XC Pros.  Thay are a great tire!  I've worn the rear down past half way and it still grips like it was new.  Thanks again Gregg. :P
:) :)

I'll see how it looks first. I'm just not a huge fan of color on tires, at least on my bike anyway. It does look cool on some bikes though. I am pretty confident that the XC Pro's will improve the ride quality over the roots due to the larger volume and better build quality, I just hope I can lean the bike over in the switchbacks like I can with the Mythos XC's. I'll probably hit up Flatwoods on Wednesday and check them out. The Fire XC Pro's seem to be the most popular xc/am tire out there, I'm sure there is a good reason. Heck, I might be trying to get everyone to switch to them just like Gregg!!!!!!! I can't say he didn't have a lot to do with my decision to switch- he is (or was anyway) a clyde like me on a hardtail and always ran lower pressure in the rear than I did and never had any problems with pinch flats or traction. Speaking of "clydes" I weighed in at the gym this morning (5:45 spin class) and I was 208lbs. That is a total of 22lbs lost by eating foods with a low Glycemic Index- I also lift weights quite a bit so it is hard to imagine being any less than 200lbs- it's pretty crazy how much "belly fat" can weigh!!!! Anyway, I will post my opinion on the tires after I ride them a bit just in case anyone wants to "make the switch" like me!!!!!!

That is great Doug! 22lbs is a lot of weight.  We need to get together for a ride.

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »
Well, just mounted the Panaracer's and they look pretty good. The red colored tire bead is going to take some getting used to- I really liked the uninterrupted black on black of my wheels and previous tires, but I'll probably get used to the red in there. The tread looks NASTY-can't wait to ride them tomorrow. I'm going to start off at 38psi and see how that feels-I'd like to be able to run 36 or 37psi at least in the rear. I'll post again after I ride them.

Advertisement: