Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Sram Powerlink: Asset or Liability?  (Read 2130 times)

scooter

Sram Powerlink: Asset or Liability?
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
So I like my Shimano 7701 chains except ::) They don't come off the bike for easy cleaning like a Sram or Wipperman with that crazy Powerlink. So I started looking at using a  Powerlink on my beloved 7701 chain and find people are doing it with great success (or so I read). What are your thoughts on their strength compared to a normal chain link? I also read some complaints about noise or friction with smaller cogs, jockey pulleys and derailur cages.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Sram Powerlink: Asset or Liability?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »
I had mine reused for my geared bike and had no problem so far.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:22:30 PM »
So I like my Shimano 7701 chains except ::) They don't come off the bike for easy cleaning like a Sram or Wipperman with that crazy Powerlink. So I started looking at using a  Powerlink on my beloved 7701 chain and find people are doing it with great success (or so I read). What are your thoughts on their strength compared to a normal chain link? I also read some complaints about noise or friction with smaller cogs, jockey pulleys and derailur cages.

I have done this same exact thing for over a year.  Save for one weird day at santos when I broke my chain twice I have had zero issues.  I like the wipperman links a little better than the sram ones.  Sometimes the sram ones a hard to remove.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:02:30 AM »
I have had great success with them for years.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:15:41 AM »
I use Shimano chains and carry a power link in my tool bag for trailside repairs. You shouldn't have a problem, but here's another idea: Get a Park chain scrubber and clean your chain with that and mineral spirits the first pass, then soapy water the second pass. Your chain will be squeaky-clean with no chain removal required.

scooter

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:30:56 AM »
Good point Harvey :) I have not used one of the chain cleaners before, it is worth looking at. In the past I have just sud's up the chain with simple green and worked that in by hand followed by a water rinse.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »
I use Shimano chains and carry a power link in my tool bag for trailside repairs. You shouldn't have a problem, but here's another idea: Get a Park chain scrubber and clean your chain with that and mineral spirits the first pass, then soapy water the second pass. Your chain will be squeaky-clean with no chain removal required.

Harvey,
Do you find that doing that works better than Pedro's Bio Degreaser? I use that and a chaincleaner. I usually by it by the gallon for about 30 bucks, and it lasts about 5-6 months.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »
I've tried degreasers and they work, but mineral spirits works like a champ and is only $10 a gallon.

Advertisement: