Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Star Fangled Nut reuse or buy new  (Read 2129 times)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Star Fangled Nut reuse or buy new
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
I bought Beercan's fork and it still has the Nut but I did my measurement and concluded that I will need to cut the steerer tube shorter.

I was debating to do following;

One - Drive down the nut to the depth that will fit my head tube plus allowance for the "sh## I cut too short" scenario.

Two - Drive it all the way down out and install a new one. My concern is if I drive it all the way down and out, that it will scoure the inside face of the tube and will add stress to the tube (thinning the wall).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Morisson

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Star Fangled Nut reuse or buy new
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:34:21 PM »
Neither.  Let me get the fork instead.  Beside it will look way bette on my Sexy Flight then on Irene!!!   ;D ;D

scooter

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
I would drive the existing nut down to where it needs to be. You have the hard part done and that's getting that puppy started. Most new bikes come with extra spacers below the stem to allow different sized riders to custom fit that bike to there body which usually means removing said spacers marking the new desired tube length, driving the nut about 9/16" below that mark and whack away ;D reassemble and ride

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
I would drive the existing nut down to where it needs to be. You have the hard part done and that's getting that puppy started. Most new bikes come with extra spacers below the stem to allow different sized riders to custom fit that bike to there body which usually means removing said spacers marking the new desired tube length, driving the nut about 9/16" below that mark and whack away ;D reassemble and ride
That was exactly I did last night. I cut-off 6" out of a leaves rake wooden handle (1" diameter--perfect) and drove the nut down and cut the tube. Grease and put the headset together and I am ready to ride.

scooter

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »
That's scary, I used the same tool :D

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »
That's scary, I used the same tool :D
Yeah, the "tool" was perfect though the wife was wondering what happend to the rake I said I accidentally ran over it on the driveway and had to cut it shorter. ;D

Advertisement: