Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: WHY BIKE GODS WHY?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline SpitFireJay

• Huffy Rider
WHY BIKE GODS WHY?
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
WHY CAN I NOT FIND THE CHEAP FULL SUSPENSION BIKE I SEE IN MY DREAMS!

So I have been scouring Craiglist, and with the help of friends have come up empty. Why is it that people are, as my father would say, so proud of what they have that they feel they can charge exorbitant prices?

I JUST WANT A FAIRLY PRICED FS!

Currently I'm looking at a Caloi Downhill bike. I'm beginning to think that wanting to ride and being a Clydesdale are two things that will never gel. 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: WHY BIKE GODS WHY?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »
WHY CAN I NOT FIND THE CHEAP FULL SUSPENSION BIKE I SEE IN MY DREAMS!

So I have been scouring Craiglist, and with the help of friends have come up empty. Why is it that people are, as my father would say, so proud of what they have that they feel they can charge exorbitant prices?

I JUST WANT A FAIRLY PRICED FS!

Currently I'm looking at a Caloi Downhill bike. I'm beginning to think that wanting to ride and being a Clydesdale are two things that will never gel. 

In bikes you get what you pay for.  Cheap will only likely cost more in the end and you would have been better off spending a little more in the first place to get a good quality bike.  The old adage of "buy as much bike as you can afford, then upgrade as you can" will give you many miles of happy riding.  Buying used from Craigslist is actually buying a bike someone else doesn't want - for a reason - in my opinion.  Most all manufacturers use the same frame for different grades or levels of the same bike.  Buying into one of these frames and adding as the money comes available may be the more affordable way to build your dream bike.  You get to use it, hone your skills, and replace things with the next grade up as needed.  Or bite the bullet, save a little or charge it and get what you want.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:21:08 AM »
How tall are you and what kind of frame are you looking for?

I have an old (2001 or 2002, hasn't been ridden in 2 years) Bullit frame that is still in great shape as well as a medium '98 Ellsworth Truth (hasn't been ridden in 3+ years) that is in ok shape (some play in the rear horst link) both of which I would sell pretty cheaply.  The Bullit has a Push tuned rear shock which makes it pedal nice and the suspension feel bottomless.  The Truth rides nice, but I can feel the play in the horst links which may or may not be cured with a new set of bushings.  I probably have some additional parts like seatposts, quick releaes, etc. that I would throw in with each as well.

Let me know if any of these interest you and we can talk details.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline SpitFireJay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:59:54 PM »
I'M 6'1 205. A LARGE FRAME OR A BIG MEDIUM WOULD PROBABLY BE PERFECT. KEEP ME INFORMED.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:23:56 AM »
I've bought off Craigslist with good results. A lot of the bikes I see there are from people who bought a nice bike and then quit riding because the trails were too far away, their friends got out of it, etc.

Talk to John Moore ("Big John") at a group ride. He might have a bike for sale that will fit you.

Also watch E-Bay, I did well there too.

In my opinion, keep an eye out for a Cannondale Super-V (NOT the design with the carbon swingarm). They're good bikes and can be found at very reasonable prices. They can be built with anywhere from 3" to 6" of travel front and rear.

Whichever bike you get, you might have to start with a bare frame and build up from there. You can get great deals on lots of perfectly good parts because someone upgraded to fancy expensive stuff and is trying to recoup some of their costs.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:26:53 AM by RiskEverything »
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Advertisement: