Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Sidewinder/ Pandemonium question  (Read 1792 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Sidewinder/ Pandemonium question
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »
Who rides  it and how do you like it? Do you like it better north to south or south to  north?   I think its broke in really nice. That one off camber section is pretty easy to ride right now and i think it flows a little better from north to south. I ride it both ways though as an in and out while others like to ride the road to the south end  and then ride it back from south to north.
Pandemonium seems to have been worked in pretty good now and the 'climb'  is do-able every time for me. Has it been worked in  and is  easier now?  Seems like there is much less sand to contend with.  Next challenge is going to be the entrance climb at Doom.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Sidewinder/ Pandemonium question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »
Pandemonium is awesome,I love that trail!! ;D The "climb" is still a pain for me, but I have gotten within a stroke or two of getting to the top. That day will come! ;)

Sidewinder is starting to work in nicely, I prefer it while riding in and coming back up above it.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »
"The climb" on Pandemonium is do-able when you realize it's coming up. I think I might tie some ribbon around the trees leading up to it becaust too often I find myself in a high gear when I make that turn and stall half-way up.
Otherwise, it's middle-ring in the front and big-ring in the rear, lean back and let the wolves sink their teeth in!

I prefer to ride Sidewinder out and back. I've noticed that the "squeeze" spot is easier on the way back. Easier to the point that I don't even notice it.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 08:40:39 AM »
"The climb" on Pandemonium is do-able when you realize it's coming up. I think I might tie some ribbon around the trees leading up to it becaust too often I find myself in a high gear when I make that turn and stall half-way up.
Otherwise, it's middle-ring in the front and big-ring in the rear, lean back and let the wolves sink their teeth in!

I prefer to ride Sidewinder out and back. I've noticed that the "squeeze" spot is easier on the way back. Easier to the point that I don't even notice it.

Your exactly right Risky, I often find myself still in the big ring there and scrambling to change gears and keep moving, and then it is too late.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:15:38 PM »
we played with that climb on Pande last fall on our SS's one day. Took me about 7 tries, but I finally got it. I need to get back out there and ride, haven't been since right after the first part of Sidewinder was open.

Ells, you talking about the entrance to Doom on Moonscape, or is there another section called Doom somewhere?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »
If you like these two trails just wait. Actually don't wait, come on out and give us a hand. Garry and the Swamp club are having a couple of BIG workdays to add a lot ot trail behind Sidewinder and Pand. The more help the sooner we can all ride it, you can meet some really cool people, make new friends. You even get free food when your done. Sounds like a Winner to me. Wada ya think.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 05:39:01 PM »
SFG - yep, the Doom on moonscape. I justed started trying to make that again since  it was reworked. So far I am 0 for 3. 
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:56:38 PM »
SFG - yep, the Doom on moonscape. I justed started trying to make that again since  it was reworked. So far I am 0 for 3. 

It's all about the line on that one. Line up way wide, and aim for the middle of that big tree on the little uphill before it. At the last instant make the right turn so you ride over those roots with a little momentum, and that sets you for a fairly straight shot at the old root. Then just a little momentum and some smooth pedal strokes will take you right up it. I was 3 for 4 on my SS last time out there. Once you get it it's easy. I've seen some very good riders struggle with that spot. I think it is almost perfect now, they did a real good job with that fix, didn't dumb it down too much.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 07:51:40 AM »
That's a tough spot for me also. I never clean it. Came close a couple of times but that root on the way up gets me. I'll have to try your line Ells and go a litle wider.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Advertisement: