Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: RIP: pink pedals  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
RIP: pink pedals
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:18:26 PM »
Last Sunday my pedal made slight contact with a palmetto root on Piglet.  The following is the aftermath:

They were only around 4 months old when this happened.  Granted they are "composite" (i.e. plastic) platforms and I did make contact with a root, but I would have thought a purpose built mountain bike pedal would be a bit tougher than this.  It wasn't even a significant impact with the root...it pretty much just skimmed off the top of it.  I'm going to call up Crank Brothers to see if anything can be covered under warranty, and if not, how much it would cost to get a new platform.

With Squiggy coming up in a month I couldn't afford the downtime to sort out the issue so I picked up a set of Time Atac aluminum pedals.  So far so good.  With the solid aluminum platform I doubt I'll have any failure issues due to contact with roots.  I'm still bummed that the pink pedals are dead as it seemed to have brought me good fortune out on the trail.  I may need to think of some other pink gimmick to throw on the bike before Squiggy.

New:

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: RIP: pink pedals
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:21:25 PM »
I may need to think of some other pink gimmick to throw on the bike before Squiggy.

Panties.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
Hmmm...I could borrow a pair from the wife, but I prefer cammando-style with no chamois. 

Offline SpitFireJay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 07:31:31 AM »
UGH... the images...THE IMAGES!

Thanks for ruining my Friday morning banana bread and coffee.

scooter

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:40:06 PM »
Hey Alan, if you finished the job and removed the rest of the pink meat ;D would they still function as eggbeater style pedals

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 04:56:02 PM »
Bit of an update on the pink pedals.

Last night I FINALLY got around to contacting Crank Brothers about the issue.  I wasn't looking to get them warrantied...I was looking to get a new platform to put these babies on my wife's bike.  Today a customer service rep shoots me an email advising me this will be covered under warranty since the pink platforms are prone to cracking.  This completely blew me away...not only are they covering this after I told them I hit a root, but they also shot me an email on Saturday (Easter weekend no less).  Talk about great customer service (seems to be a rarity these days).

So they are going to send me a box and shipping info for my pedals.  They will take my pedals, replace the platforms with a different color, and ship them back to me in about 2-3 days. 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »
That is really cool!

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:05:56 PM »
That is too cool! Customer service isn't dead. :)
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 12:19:01 AM »
UPDATE NUMERO DOS:

Package came back today from Crank Brothers.  Opened her up to only find my pink pedals.  They replaced the cracked one with another pink platform pedal (it looks like the replaced the entire unit and didn't just swap over the platform itself).  The other was my old pedal.

I shot their customer service rep another email requesting an explaination.  They tell me that they don't sell the pinks anymore because they are prone to failure.  They also tell me my platforms will be replaced with black units.  However, they give me another faulty pink pedal without so much as an email or letter explaining why?  I don't get it.   

Yes I am happy that they at least fixed the one pedal.  But in my book it is poor customer service to tell a customer one thing yet do something completely different without some sort of justification.  I'm very curious to see what their response is to my new inquiry.

Advertisement: