Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: On your left, ON your Left, ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!!!  (Read 6267 times)

scooter

On your left, ON your Left, ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!!!
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:56:02 PM »
So me and the Mrs. are out for a little romp on the tandem this evening, starting at the Bruce B Downs parking area. We shove off and quickly ramp up to around 20 MPH when I see a group of 5 roller bladers in the distance. As we close the gap I notice various degrees of roller skills on display and started early anouncing my intention to pass on the left. Now we are in the do or die range and these guy's and girl are all over the path I start getting on the brakes but it's a little to late, I get up on the pedals and lean into what is now an unavoidable collision. It is amazing what a tandem bike and crew can do to a rollerblader!!! Dude is now flying and spinning not even knowing what hit him. Meanwhile back in the *pit not even a slight waggle, Mass wins! Asked if he was O.K. as we pedal away but I don't think we spoke the same language. So we make our way out and back on our new Conti Gatorbacks and we are flying! As we prepare to exit the loop and head back to the parking area there in the distance around the water coolers is a large collection of bikers, bladers and walkers with one gentleman with a tow behind stradled perpendicular across the path just looking at us and looking and looking, now I don't know about you but if I see a large tandem with a full head of steam bearing down on me and my first born I might think to my self "Self it's time to get my silly butt off this path" but NOOOO!!! So I start waving at this guy to please remove his rig from the impending freight train bearing down on him like a whole bunch of hurt. As we pass I thank him and he gives us this look like who do you think you are. So the moral to this story is "BE CAREFULL out there boy's and girl's because all those stupid drivers that make us pull our hair out have gone and purchased Bikes and Blades :D

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: On your left, ON your Left, ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:15:49 AM »
Don't you wish it was like the "good old days" when you could blast a dude in the face without him calling the police? Those people you described need to be told that they are inconsiderate A##HOLES. If they can block everyones path and perhaps cause an accident and get away with it, than they shouldn't be surprised when someone calls them every name in the book. Obviously I don't go around punching or screaming at people, but sometimes it seems like that would be the only way to get people like that to get thier heads out of thier a##es. There seems to be a lot of people like that around here in the last 10 years or so. A-HOLE ville.
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »
There's alot of that over here in Pinellas also. Peop[le just walk right out in front of you or just stay put infront of you. Most people on when crossing the trail in their cars , Most, will wave you through so you don't have to stop at the stop sign. Some though wait to pull out just as you are approaching to be a pain in the A##! I even had one jerk wave me through and as I was powering up again pulled out and stopped right in front of me in the middle of the trail and flipped me off!!!! That was the one time I really wanted to hit someone. I told him I was really sorry for his wife because he must have a very small and tiny manhood if that's the only way he could show how big, bad and tough he was. Thank god most everyone is bike friendly.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

scooter

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »
 :D

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 01:48:13 PM »
There's alot of that over here in Pinellas also. Peop[le just walk right out in front of you or just stay put infront of you. Most people on when crossing the trail in their cars , Most, will wave you through so you don't have to stop at the stop sign. Some though wait to pull out just as you are approaching to be a pain in the A##! I even had one jerk wave me through and as I was powering up again pulled out and stopped right in front of me in the middle of the trail and flipped me off!!!! That was the one time I really wanted to hit someone. I told him I was really sorry for his wife because he must have a very small and tiny manhood if that's the only way he could show how big, bad and tough he was. Thank god most everyone is bike friendly.

I also live in Pinellas (the most densely populated county in the state) and see that crap all of the time. My 1 hour drive to Wilderness Parks every week gets me nice and pissed off before my ride!!!!!! In Florida, it's "every man for himself"-always has been. To many people from everywhere else (including me). By the way, Wilderness parks is 27 miles from my house and it takes me 1 HOUR to get there!!!! SWEET.
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:59:30 PM »
Get a Gorrila U-Lock. Not only does it keep your bike safe in the rack, but it's an excellent bludgeoning tool for inconsiderate motorists, cyclists, and skaters.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »
First off I would like to say that you are probably riding too fast in the area if there are issues with you bearing down on people.  Especially if you are barrelling over them frome behind.  You being the person who has control over the situation (i.e. having the ability to brake) as you see the skaters in front of you need to slow down.  And as far as the guy with the baby if he was on foot he has the right of way as per the laws of trail etiquette. If you have never read them you can find them at the IMBA website.  Now I know that you were on the road, but I personally feel that the same rules apply.  I do sympathize with you as far as stupid people out there, but you have the responsibility to control yourself and your equipment.  As with the bludgeoning people out there I really would not recommend it as you may find yourself dealing with the police and not just an angry skater!  I also would try to stay away from angry motorists as 10 out of 10 times they will win in an accident or an "on purpose".  Have fun out there and be safe.   ;D
Gears??? We don't need no STINKING GEARS!!!

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »
First off I would like to say that you are probably riding too fast in the area if there are issues with you bearing down on people.  Especially if you are barrelling over them frome behind.  You being the person who has control over the situation (i.e. having the ability to brake) as you see the skaters in front of you need to slow down.  And as far as the guy with the baby if he was on foot he has the right of way as per the laws of trail etiquette. If you have never read them you can find them at the IMBA website.  Now I know that you were on the road, but I personally feel that the same rules apply.  I do sympathize with you as far as stupid people out there, but you have the responsibility to control yourself and your equipment.  As with the bludgeoning people out there I really would not recommend it as you may find yourself dealing with the police and not just an angry skater!  I also would try to stay away from angry motorists as 10 out of 10 times they will win in an accident or an "on purpose".  Have fun out there and be safe.   ;D

And who's top say that the skater knew what you were talking about when you were saying "on your left"?   I know around here no matter what language you speak on your left seems to be foreign to most people

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 12:28:56 PM »
Please do not smite me for looking out for the STUPID people!!!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »
I won't smite you Monkeyboy. I agree. Just because you holler out on your left doesn't give you the right of way. And if you were riding on a MUT bicycles are supposed to yield to everyone else. Yeah it sucks and gets frustrating getting stuck behind people sometimes, but that don't make running them over OK.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

scooter

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »
I was not, and do not advocate steamrolling people with my tandem. With that being said, as far as riding to fast in the area I am out there riding in pursuit of better fitness which means pushing myself and equiptment. These trails are intended for these type of pursuits. While I was CRUZING, I was hardly sprinting and was in control of MY direction. Am I to come to a complete stop and walk around everyone I encounter on the trail?  I don't recall writing that I was bearing down on anyone, I did however start anouncing my intentions both loud and clear. With that being said, perhaps I did take for granted the fact that JOE(insert mode of tranportation)out for his first ever trip to the loop probably does'nt know the rules of the road or trail etiquite.
 I posted this incident to:
1) Raise people 's awareness so you don't get complacent out there and find you have a rollerblader for a hood ornament.
2) Hopefully some of the stupid (errr) I mean uneducated people will seek to educate them selves via the internet and stumble across this thread(Tow behind would refer to the gentleman being on a bike unless of course I was riding in Thailand in which case I could have been refering to a Rickshaw) :D
And
3) O.K. maybe in a twisted way I did see some humor in the whole situation ;D
O.K. enough ranting, what is the solution?
The trail in question is probably 10 feet wide, enough space to accomodate passing
Perhaps better education at the trail heads?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:36:22 PM by scooter »

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
Well said.........I still think punching people in the face would be pretty sweet! :D ;D

-just kidding!

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
I am sorry for making wrong assumptions I meant no harm to any party involved and I applaud your response.  I did however misread the part of the guy with the towbehind as I saw the word walker right before thaht and was kind of wondering how this guy was towing his kid behind him?  I thought maybe he rigged something up like Rocky and was using it as resistance training or something. 

As far as a solution there is not one perfect one as it would be impossible to have the trail used only for one mode of fitness( i.e. cycling, skating, or walking/running).  However, in times of congestion it might help if you did slow down to a crawl to go around a group of beginner rollerbladers, as it will one cause you to push harder once past them to get back up to speed.  Almost like interval training.  And all being said having more signage with trail etiquette and maybe a guideline for how to use the trail (i.e. if you are on foot or going slow should stay to the right.  Maybe you could have lines painted (if the area governing the trail has the $$) with a yellow line in the middle and splitting each side into two lanes like a highway or make it oneway and split it with one lin for slow traffic and fast traffic.  I am not sure if any of this would work, but it might help the uneducated folk not get themselves into trouble cause "They just didn't know".

scooter

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »
I love you man ;D

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 05:09:48 PM »
DITTO ???

Advertisement: