Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Santos first timer  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Santos first timer
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:04:03 AM »
Hello - I'm headed to Ocala this weekend with my wife, and we want to ride Santos for the first time. I know the 12 hour race is Saturday, but I'm told that it is only on the Vortex side, so the Santos side side remains open. We'd like to stick to the easier to intermediate trails. We usually ride WTA, Boyette and Croom.

Can anyone suggest a good 20 to 25 mile route? Are any of the intermediate blue trails harder than the others? Anyone know a good place to stay in the area?

Thanks

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Santos first timer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »
The Santos side has some great trails.  Their trails are classified by color coded stakes at the beginning of each section:  Red = Hard, Blue = Intermediate, and Yellow = Easy.  Pine Tree and Shorty are the only 2 yellow (easy) trails on that side.  Pine Tree is a big loop of the whole side, and it flows very nicely.  The blue trials are Dr Ruth, Cowbone, Marshmellow, Speedway, and Canopy.  All of them flow very well but have a few spots in them that can be a little challenging.  Cowbone is probably the hardest of the blue trails.  Sinkhole is  the easiest of the red trails.  John Brown, Rattlesnake Ridge, and Ant Hill can be very challenging, but also very fun.  Just watch out for the rocks!!  Here's a link to the map of the trails from OMBA's website that should help you.  Have a great and safe ride up there.  It's well worth it!!

http://www.omba.org/images/stories/Maps/santos3b.pdf
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

scooter

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:41:07 AM »
Check out parking at the 49th trail head. From there ride canal diggings trail out and back as a warm up( not sure of the length , I would guess 3 to 4 miles out and back) then follow that up with nayl's, I think it is about 8 miles. These two trails consist of some great twisting(rootless :))single trak with some small (3 to 4 foot)technical drops.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »
Hello - I'm headed to Ocala this weekend with my wife, and we want to ride Santos for the first time. I know the 12 hour race is Saturday, but I'm told that it is only on the Vortex side, so the Santos side side remains open. We'd like to stick to the easier to intermediate trails. We usually ride WTA, Boyette and Croom.

Can anyone suggest a good 20 to 25 mile route? Are any of the intermediate blue trails harder than the others? Anyone know a good place to stay in the area?

Thanks

If you start at the Santos trailhead, and follow the signs to the Land Bridge, you will be riding fast well packed single track. Most of which is on the tame side (only yellows and blues), Think Flatwoods, but much smoother. A ride to the land bridge and back to the Santos Trailhead, should put you right at around 24 ish miles. It is a nice ride.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »
My family used to migrate across the land bridge--great invention.
Mike Cole

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:53:36 PM »
Thanks to all who replied. We just got back from our first trip to Santos. It was great. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not made the trip.

Our first day started at Landbridge. We did Nayls and the Diggings plus a few miles north of Landbridge. Day two we started at the Santos trailhead and road down to Landbridge and then back to the Vortex freeride area for a look. I enjoyed the red trail that circles the freeride area. I'd say it was the best of the red trails I went on. (Sorry I don't know the name of it.) We also hit Canopy, Marshmellow and Dr. Ruth that day. They all flowed great. I finished the day with Sinkhole, which is more of a tough intermediate than a red trail. (I found a few stretches of the Nayls trail to be tougher than Sinkhole.) Day three it poured rain at times so we stuck around the Vortex/Santos area, taking in a lot of Pinetree and Dogbone, which are both smooth and fast easy trails. We loved them. I ventured down Anthill and got lost on some other red trail, when the rain really started coming down.

All in all, a great time. My wife loved it. Lots of variety and it was fun to see some of the freeriders jump off some of those platforms. My back hurt just watching. Thanks again for the advice.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
Glad you had a good ride up there.  Santos is probably my favorite place to ride just because it has so much trail to play on.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »
Yeah Santos is the BOMB! I have only been there twice but I think it is my Fav place to ride. First time we did the EPIC which was cool and last time up we parked at 49th street and rode Diggings and Nayl's that alone would have been worth the trip but we loaded the bikes and relocated to the Santos trail head and rode Sink Hole, John Brown, Ant Hill(Walked and much as rode this one Whew :P) and finished with the Vortex Loop. I still think that was my best time yet on a bike :)

Advertisement: