Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race?  (Read 3028 times)

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race?
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:51:11 AM »
Anyone ever run these tires? I ordered a set based on extremely high reccomendations on MTBR.com (4.89 rating-all star for 2007). I have also read some other reviews and people said they were terrible. I bought them as a comparison to the Panaracer Fire XC pro's I run now. I am having a real hard time getting used to the red bead on the Fire xc's. With my wheels, it shows more than you think. I know that sounds stupid, but I think most of us care (at least a little) what our bikes look like. I'm not saying that I'm swapping out the Fire xc's for good (they are BAD AZZ tires) I just want to try out the MotoRaptors to see if they perform as well- they look better to me. I'm trying not to care about the looks because the Fire xc's perform so well and if I can't find a better performing tire that is all black-I will definatley be leaving them on. I just think that a black wheel and black tire look good together. I wish Panaracer would make thier "all black" version of the Fire XC Pro actually ALL BLACK. I'm not a big fan of red anyway, and my bike is starting to have a lot more red on it than I had planned-it just seems to be happening that way. Anyway, any opinions on the MotoRaptor 2.14 race would be great. Thanks!
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
Re: WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
From the looks of the Panaracer all black version I looked at last night at Jenson it seems to be all black, not like the cheap knockoff from Price Point.(I am using the knockoffs by the way and I like them so no telling how much I'll like the real ones when my current ones wear out!)
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:01:20 PM »
They (the real ones) have a bright red bead where the tire meets the wheel. The bead shows a lot more on some wheels than others. My wheels are one of those wheels. All of the "real" Fire XC pro's have a red bead regardless of the sidewall color. I just think the all black version should be all black-that would be the reason for buying the all black version-because you don't want the loud colored versions of the tire.
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »
You cant buy the knockoff's with a black sidewall. They all have a wide stripe. Red, Blue, or Yellow.

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »
Yes I know the knockoffs all have the wide colored strip. I have black wheels so the red bead would probably show up pretty good on my bike also. Still not as much as the wide red stripe I'm sportin' right now.
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »
That is okay.....Piranha thinks that my bike is loud. :(  sniff...... :'( 

;D

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 06:51:26 AM »
That is okay.....Piranha thinks that my bike is loud. :(  sniff...... :'( 

;D

Actually, your bike is not what I'd consider "loud". Your frame has a basic color and paint design (graphics, name ,ect.) so the red tires and accessories look good. My bike is a dark color with multi colored flames and designs on it. When you add color in the tires it just makes the bike look to "busy" or "loud". I have 1 of the 2 MotoRaptor's mounted already (the other one I had to order) and it definately looks WAY BETTER than the Panaracers. Now, performance is another thing-I'm not expecting them to be as good as the Fire xc's but if they are at least as good as my Mythos xc's were in the handling/cornering department, then they will stay on the bike. I know they will be better than the Mythos xc's in the roots and bumps (better sidewalls=lower pressure). I'll have this all worked out before we start the "hole in the fence" rides on March 11th. Who knows, I may show up with the Panaracers on the bike!

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 08:30:15 AM »
Are the Panaracers in good shape?
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
Are the Panaracers in good shape?

Perfect shape...... ridden twice or three times at flatwoods. I'm not going to part with them untill I ride the motoraptors a few times to compare. The MotoRaptors are going to have to really impress me to get rid of the Fire xc's. Nothing wrong with having a few spares laying around. I've got a collection going: Bontrager Jones xr 2.25/2.20, IRC Mythos XC k 2.1 (2 sets), IRC Backcountry 2.25, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race.

scooter

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 09:38:21 AM »
Bunny's bike ain't loud, it's just DIRTY!!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 10:40:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:41:49 PM »
Bunny's bike ain't loud, it's just DIRTY!!!

True, very dirty! That is because I don't have to steer around mud, I just go right through it with plenty of traction!!!! :D

It will be cleaned up tomorrow though.

Offline hairball

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 08:51:18 PM »
You cant buy the knockoff's with a black sidewall. They all have a wide stripe. Red, Blue, or Yellow.

Not true, I just bought my girl the black side walls (no thin or thick stripe) before I found out there was a Taiwan version - 76 TPI.
The thin red stripe version from Japan I think is a 127 TPI.
My TPI numbers may not be actual cause I'm pulling them out of my head but I know I'm close. 
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good   example.
   Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 08:54:18 PM »
Is that a UST Tire? The only XC Pros with all black sidewalls are tubless.  They are 66 tpi.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:07:02 PM by Gregg »

Offline hairball

• Huffy Rider
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:13:03 PM by hairball »
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good   example.
   Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

Advertisement: