Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Sad Story - Another School Shooting  (Read 3961 times)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Sad Story - Another School Shooting
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »
and where the "suspect" from. :-[
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/niu_shooting
I used to be against the rights to bare arms but with this incident happening so often I think we should arm ourselves and our children with glocks. :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Sad Story - Another School Shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »
What makes this the most sad, besides the loss of life, is that it's not the leading news story. Several years ago this would have dominated the news. This never used to happen. Then it beacame an isolated event and now it's almost second page news because it's become so common. I remember in high school some jek off brought a gun to school. He left it in the truck but he got expelled. It was one of the biggest stories of the year locally.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »
We homeschool our kids. No guns needed.

And yeah--the world get crazier every year.

Most Americans basically let other people raise our kids while they work--movies and music are dominated by violence--family structure on the whole is torn apart--and we wonder why things like this happen.

A lot of people could downsize their material standards in life and spend a lot less time working and more time with their families.
Mike Cole

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »
True.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:43:31 PM »
We homeschool our kids. No guns needed.

And yeah--the world get crazier every year.

Most Americans basically let other people raise our kids while they work--movies and music are dominated by violence--family structure on the whole is torn apart--and we wonder why things like this happen.

A lot of people could downsize their material standards in life and spend a lot less time working and more time with their families.

I really agree with you. To a large measure, I have done so. Not to the level that you have, but I left a job that had me working 6 or 7 days a week and 14-16 hours a day. No money is worth that.

My wife is a high school guidance counselor. You would not beleive the crap that goes on in the schools these days. I would tell you that about every other day there is a threat assessment. In this school year I know of 3 seperate occasions of rape. There are gang fights, drug shootings....the list goes on. This is in a pretty affluent area.

I was absolutely no angel as a kid, but it is really a scary time to be growing up. I firmly believe that it has to do with parents not being around enough to see what the kids are doing.

I make sure that I know what my kids are doing at all times, we try to keep them busy, and we eat dinner as a family as often as possible (almost everyday). Most important we ask questions. Kids are much less likely to get involved in something that they shouldn't if the parents are attentive.

The rest is up to them.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 04:29:29 PM »
Very true Gregg.[See I have a serious side]

I spent many a years working with kids and teens as a rec director/counselor and youth pastor. I have seen too much of the aforementioned. Parents would bring their kids and teens hoping that we could help straighten them out--and we tried. But I came to realize that we could never be a substitute for proper parenting.

At one time I was a youth pastor with one of the largest youth groups in Pinellas and I would lament that I and the other helpers did not have enough time to spend with the teens to really make a difference. Then I began to think about how even Jesus according to the bible worked with only 12!! I came to believe that it would be better to really be involved in a few teens or adults lives than to be scratching the surface on a bunch. Quality not quantity.

Plus true family simplicity is real, unlike institutions. I now don't believe churches were ever meant to be such--and it is apparent in the New Testament. Most people can't see what is really in there though because they read it through eyes that are jaded by tradition.

Ok, I'll stop now! Once I get going!
Mike Cole

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »
I agree that best education comes from the home. The only reason my kids will attend public school is for the social interaction. I believe the skills learned there are not replaceable. Those are skills that can't be taught. As far as the academic part, that can be taught at home. The level of education is not that great for public or private schools.

My 2 cents.  ;)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:48:18 PM »
I agree with that too!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 08:13:26 PM »
I agree that best education comes from the home. The only reason my kids will attend public school is for the social interaction. I believe the skills learned there are not replaceable. Those are skills that can't be taught. As far as the academic part, that can be taught at home. The level of education is not that great for public or private schools.

My 2 cents.  ;)

That is a big misconception about home schooled kids, that they have no "Interaction" with others. My wife home schools our 6 year old and he has plenty of interaction. They have home school groups that meet several times per week doing field trips, park time, PE, Bowling, and much more. With home schooling WE choose how and what my son learns and we also know where and who he is with at all times. I will put him up against any 1st grader in public school.

Noble, I agree with you on what you said about what the Church should be (or is approved by God to be), that is why I am a member of the church of Christ. We believe in following what the 1st century Christians did in their worship since they were taught by the apostles and they were chosen by God. We must have scriptural authority for anything we do in our worship.

Darrin 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
Darrin,

I don't think that this was intended by any of us to say that my way is better than yours. The bottom line, that I think that we are all in agreement on is that the world is a scary place for our children and that kids need the supervision of there parents. Not the baby sitter , nanny, or the day care attendant. We as parents need to be involved in our children's lives. If we are not, we run a higher risk of having children who have problems that they can't cope with.

A great example of this, is you and your son out mountain biking together. Those are moments that will shape his life far more than a history lesson, or gym class.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »
I understand that Gregg. I just hear that "Interaction" thing all the time and it is just plain wrong. Some people have this idea in their heads that homeschoolers sit home all day with no contact with the outside world or other kids.  Home schooling is what you make it and that means choices. public school offers no choices at all. I dont think locking kids up together in a public school poorly supervised by a bunch of strangers is a must have learning experiance. I know its off topic, but it just erks me to hear that some feel social interaction is more important than having control of their kids learning experiance AND safety. 

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »
Apparently I offended you Darrin. That wasn't my intention. I was simply trying to justify why my kids will go to public school. Nothing more. But I will disagree that public schools offer no choices. In school I decided what kids I hung out with, what sports I played, what clothes I wore and what classes I took. I have several friends that home school their kids and they are great kids. They play sports and are well adjusted. So again, sorry I offended you.

I will now revert back to bike talk. :)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 10:25:50 PM »
I got schooled on the bike one day.  This dude was zooming through Flatwoods and I was doing everything I could to not only try to catch him, but simply keep him in sight - if for nothing else but to see what he was doing that made him so damned fast.  I got schooled that day.  :-)

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »
I got schooled on the bike one day.  This dude was zooming through Flatwoods and I was doing everything I could to not only try to catch him, but simply keep him in sight - if for nothing else but to see what he was doing that made him so damned fast.  I got schooled that day.  :-)

I get schooled virtually every time I ride. ;D

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 10:30:33 PM »
You betta not talking about my bike needs.  ;D ;D

But I thought this is the American way.....spend the money we don't have. Other countries are so tied up to our mentality that when we stop consuming the global market slows down. Same story that the government will ally/invade countries with natural resources because John Doe got a 9 mi/gallon truck that make him feel good about himself.

So we have to spend 100 hrs a week to pay for toys that make us happy.

Advertisement: