Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race review  (Read 1629 times)

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race review
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:01:29 PM »
The verdict is in:

The MotoRaptor's stay on the bike.

As compared to my Panaracer Fire XC pro 2.1's:

Traction (overall): Equal
Traction (leaned over hard): Equal
Ride quality: Equal (maybe a slight edge to the Panaracer's)
Rolling resistance: Panaracer's (just enough to notice-not enough to care)
Rolling resistance (pavement): Panaracer's
Ability to clear treads: MotoRaptor's
Ability to run lower pressure: Equal (both are rated at 35psi minimum-ran both at 35-36psi)
Looks: MotoRaptor's (personal preference)

The Panaracer's will be great spares. Could have gone either way, I give the slight overall edge to the MotoRaptor. Either tire will do great for anyone looking for a "do it all" tire for XC/AM.
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Re: WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race review
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:48:07 AM »
Could someone post a picture of the MotoRaptor's, sidewall and tread view? I'd lke to see them. I'm familiar with the xc's not the other though.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »
Piranah,

I have been thinking about giving those WTB's a try. Would you mind measuring the height from ground to center of your front skewer. I have the Panaracers too, but like a tire the adds a bit more clearance under the BB. Another spec that would be helpfull is overall diameter: Make a mark on the tire and roll it one revolution on your driveway and measure between the marks. Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

Offline hairball

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:23:58 PM »
]I have the  motoRaptor 2.14 also, A very predictable tire, Been playing with pressures, So far I like 35 psi. rear, 32 psi. front, I weigh 160.
The low pressures take the hit out of roots and grip is great when you can get a good contact patch around that wet root.
I've not hit enough mud yet to see how well they shed.

Haven't tried panaracer XC pro yet, My girl has the cheap version on her bike

I measured from ground to center of skewer 13.5"
circumference  82.5

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:37:55 PM by hairball »
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good   example.
   Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

Offline hairball

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »
The tire pics are not showing up for me "safari", Never had this problem before  :-\

Any suggestions? I am using village photos as a host. I tried to load as a url, Should I try http, or thumbnail?

Sorry if I sound ignorant about computers... I am.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good   example.
   Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
Well, I can tell you that they shed mud/wet sand very well. It is because the spaces between the big knobs aren't filled with smaller knobs like you see on other tires such as the Panaracer Fire xc's and the IRC Mythos. Those tires roll better than the MotoRaptor's on pavement and hardpack because of those small knobs in between. So, as you can see it is a trade off. I will pedal a little harder (barely enough to notice) for  a few advantages such as better clearing and better looks (once again, personal preference).

I rode Flatwoods on Wednesday and I was really impressed with the tires. At 35-36psi they had great traction in the turns (leaned way over) and took the bite out of the roots (especially on Indian and Heartbreak Ridge).

As far as the "size" of the tires, they are 2.14's and they pretty much look like it. They might be a little "taller" than other 2.1's but I'm not positive about that. On my bike (Gary Fisher genesis hardtail) they are great all around tires and as long as they don't fall apart prematurely (I doubt it, WTB makes quality stuff), I won't be doing any more tire swapping for a while!
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Advertisement: