SWAMP Community Forums
June 05, 2008, 02:17:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: SWAMP Forums are available to anyone who wants to join in, register now for free by clicking the register link near the top of this page. Registered guests who login have access to additional boards and topics. Please note that all official SWAMP club communications still come from the Yahoo! e-group.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swamp club demographics  (Read 1534 times)
Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »

At 27 I guess I fall into the category of one of the younger SWAMP members... Most of you have never met me because 1) I have commitments every Tuesday night therefore never get to go on the Tuesday night rides and 2) b/c it seems I also always have something going on on most Sundays and rarely make it to the Sunday morning rides.  Hopefully my schedule will change for me soon and I'll get to know more of you.  I also hope to start volunteering on Saturdays once or twice a month in the near future (I'm trying to get my dissertation finished, as soon as that happens I'll have TIME hopefully).  Regardless, one thing I noticed when I showed up for my first club ride (it was at Boyette) was that I was one of the youngest folks there.  I don't have an explanation for it either, and I agree that a lot of people my age just don't appreciate being outdoors.  I do but that's only because I grew up on a farm in rural Missouri. 

Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com
noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »

There are tons of young people who ride bikes--but most of them ride freeride type stuff. Heck there are a lot of older guys who ride freeride type stuff too.

I will have to say that the freeride guys that I know are more than willing to help work on anything. They are just happy to have somewhere to ride.

I think we just need more places that are like moderate freeride areas. Then you can still have fun but the danger factor is not any higher than riding a lot of mountain bike stuff. As an example--I love Vortex but there is a lot of liability there in my eyes.

Mike Cole
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 07:00:37 PM »

Garry--where is this plate that I am supposed to step up to? Grin

I am over 40 but still like to jump way more than just riding. But I do like to XC sometimes too.
There are tons of people who love the freeride type stuff.

I crash everyday either on my bike or board--I am pretty good at it!

Hey Mike, I crash pretty good too!  Got up close and personal with a tree on a fast sandy downhill yesterday at Croom on the Yellow Trail before Tucker Hill.  Man that hurt!  The bike was okay though.   Grin

The plate?  If you want to go through the channels of obtaining the authorization to build freeride stuff I can put you in contact with Forestry at Croom; or another property.  If you have a volunteer base that is ready to take this on and add some awesome stuff I'm sure it would catch on.
noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 07:16:47 PM »

Oh that plate--I am happy with paper plates for now Wink

Mike Cole
Rockhopper
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 12:15:37 AM »

I am bouyed that so many older riders are out there kicking butt for SWAMP and other clubs. A 66-year-old guy blew by me at the Croom 50 like a was standing still. It proves that improvement is always possible.

One point that hasn't been touched on re:young riders. The fact that a new mid-range full suspension mountain bike costs about $1,800 doesn't help attract younger (and by definition poorer) riders. Yes, it's easy to find less expensive bikes; I ride one of them. But even a $750 bike is considered low end these days.

One last point: Sunday morning at 9 am (when most SWAMP club rides take place) has not traditionally been prime activity time for anyone under 25. That's not a good or bad thing. It just is what it is.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 06:50:13 AM »

Rockhopper you are right about the full suspension price, but another thing is that depending upon age, alot of young riders don't weigh enough to make use of full suspension and reap the benefits. F/S bikes are more forgiving to bad lines and riding techniques. Hardtails make you correct your mistakes and generally put more power to the rear wheel. I just recently got my oldest son a Specialized Rockhopper Comp FSR disc because he's now around 125-130 lbs. I cringe at paying $1,800 for a F/S that he probab;y will out grow, (med. frame)but I was fortunate to find a 2005 with only 50-100 miles on it for $350.00. You can get ino hardtails at the entry level now in the $250.00 -$350.00 range new. While not cheap for a youth rider, still feaseable and lets them learn on good equipment. I'm also fortunate with four kids that things get handed down,(bike shoes with cleats, jerseys, and even bikes). The oldest got a Specialized Hotrock 26" when he was 7 or 8 and it has been handed down to my daughter and youngest son It's pushing 9-10 years now and is still going strong. I knew all those kids would pay off somehow, LOL!!!

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 07:33:36 AM »

I am bouyed that so many older riders are out there kicking butt for SWAMP and other clubs. A 66-year-old guy blew by me at the Croom 50 like a was standing still. It proves that improvement is always possible.

I am sometimes amazed on the road bike that guys 20/25 years older than me nudge me back just a little in sprints and fast paces.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 07:37:23 AM »

Yeah me too, Dick S. with Swamp is another one of those amazing riders. it was everything I could do to keep up with him on the last night ride I did with the club! Embarrassed

slowfatguy
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:35 AM »

Jimmy Cotton at 68 years young has rode the San Felesco 50 every year it has existed, and has some of the gnarliest trails around down at his place in Ft. Meade. The man is an inspiration! I agree with the prices of bikes, but a FS bike is totally uneccessary around here. IMO it just leads to people who take bad lines all the time. Riding a hardtail will make you a better rider.

my other ride has 599 more hp.
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 08:31:53 AM »

Yeah me too, Dick S. with Swamp is another one of those amazing riders. it was everything I could do to keep up with him on the last night ride I did with the club! Embarrassed

Yeah, Dick is only about 2 years younger than my dad, I he kicks ass, while my dad.....not so much anymore.

Hell, I just started riding again at age 37. Seeing these older rideres is pretty damned inspiring.

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 09:00:39 AM »

When Janice told me he was 71 I almost sharted myself! I would have thought him to be in his late 50's.

noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »

There was a guy out with Wes at the Croom 50 that I thought was pretty inspiring--he was older with gray hair[not that gray hair means old but] he was trying to jump the bigger jump where I ride. He eventually cleared it and ate it so hard. He then worked on his bike for a little while fixing what got messed up--then he jumped it again! Awesome.

Most younger guys that I know would have went home after that crash. I can't remember his name.

Mike Cole
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »

That was Darryl. He has broken his back a couple of times. He is a tough son of b@#ch! Shocked  Leathery too!

noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »

I ate it sooo hard at Vortex today! I was tryin to roll in off the big roll in on my mountainboard and hit the center line of jumps--got sideways in the air over the first one and landed that way!! Couldn't get straightened out for some unknown reason[early morning--can't operate properly].

Yeah well, end over end all the way to the next jump=not good. Cry

Mike Cole
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 11:07:04 PM »

I am sure you were wearing.....................................................................Huh??  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: