SWAMP Community Forums
May 03, 2008, 11:39:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Alafia Trail Map available to SWAMPers!
The April 2008 trail map, which includes North Creek phase 4, is available in the Trail Map section.  You must be a SWAMP Club Member to view these additional boards.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swamp club demographics  (Read 1221 times)
PIRANHA
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« on: February 23, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »

There seems to be small percentage of Swampers that are 35 years old and under. Am I right? If so, why do you think that is?

Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »

Video games Cheesy Seriously tho I can't stereo type all Gen X and Y's but kid's these day's are weird. When I was young the folks had to drag me inside as late as I could get away with. Today you have to drag the little rug rats outside.
EllsRider
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

813Racing

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »

Don't know if thats true or not. Interesting to know though. Are you basing that assumption on who comes out for club rides and workdays, or from membership  info from the official Swamp membership lists?   I think that younger people maintain a different ride schedule and social calendar. Lets see, checking my date book.... yep , just as i thought, wide open for the rest of the year!! That sucks! I 've gotta make  some friends.   Cry     Cry

" Not this time, Lance"
flyingspaghetti
First Bike

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »

There seems to be small percentage of Swampers that are 35 years old and under. Am I right? If so, why do you think that is?

Hmmmm...you are in Florida. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 10:32:01 PM »

Is this your way of reminding us that your birthday is Monday???  Undecided

To answer your question, I am not quite sure that you are right. I think that there is a pretty wide spread of age groups. I can think of at least a dozen people right of the top of my head, that are under 30.....Yes younger than you my aging friend. Wink

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »

IMO there would be more younger people in SWAMP if there were more skills type activities and maybe a jump park.  The older people in SWAMP are happy with the status quo and they hold the power.  Trying to get these things going is like banging your head against a concrete wall.  It seems to always fall on deaf ears.  Let's face it, we live in an X Games world as far as the younger set goes.  There are tons of younger kids in BMX in the Bay area.  It would be nice to see them transistion over to MTB (like Tinker did).  In places where MTBing flourish there are plenty of MTB things that will get the kids interested.

PIRANHA
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »

Good point. I would have to agree with that. BMX is probably the biggest "gateway" into mountain bikes. Don't get me wrong, I like the club-I was just wondering about the age groups. Apparently I am mistaken anyway, I don't spend much time around the club due to my schedule. I do think a little youth in the right place would make the club more fun and a little less "cliquey" if you know what I mean. Just a thought.

Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »

IMO there would be more younger people in SWAMP if there were more skills type activities and maybe a jump park.  The older people in SWAMP are happy with the status quo and they hold the power.  Trying to get these things going is like banging your head against a concrete wall.  It seems to always fall on deaf ears.  Let's face it, we live in an X Games world as far as the younger set goes.  There are tons of younger kids in BMX in the Bay area.  It would be nice to see them transistion over to MTB (like Tinker did).  In places where MTBing flourish there are plenty of MTB things that will get the kids interested.

Okay, this has been addressed before.  Let me lay it out here.  Skills type activities are not shunned or being stalemated by anyone within SWAMP.  Older "SWAMP Members" are not holding any status quo power to not have anything other than what we have.  The "Older SWAMP Members" I assume mean the board and Trail Bosses.  This group of folks is VERY busy maintaining over 135 miles of mountain bike trails, and keeping up with all of the behind the scenes tasks of planning the FTF, Croom 50, Christmas Party, Spring, Summer and Fall Trips, and trail operations issues as they come up.  Keeping the trails in rideable condition, altering their direction because of erosion, over use condition, or planning and designing ways to make them more sustainable leaves precious little time to add another style of riding - like Freeriding.  The "Status Quo" practically turns into a part time job for folks who hold a full time job, family duties, their own free time to ride and enjoy the trails, or different sports in their lives besides mountain biking.  If someone would like to step up to the plate and be the front man/woman to learn how to properly build them, negotiate with the land managers about adding them to their property that they manage, and design, obtain the volunteers, and build them - then by all means take on this task.  I feel comfortable in speaking for the other Trail Bosses that they simply do not have the time or energy to take on these added responsibilities. We are not an X-Games club, as our logo suggests we are a Mountain Bike Club.  People within the club enjoy different disciplines of outdoor sports and even belong to several clubs of outdoors enthusiasts.  So in summary - SWAMP is a mountain bike club that builds and maintains trails, advocates and inspires sustainable use of trails within our sport; plans and coordinates trips, bike festivals, socials, and trains guides for group rides with a clear understanding of the trails, and pay for their First-Aid/CPR training.  Not a lot of time left over to take on another outdoor sport that happens to include a close cousin to what we do enjoy.  If anyone needs contact information of land managers to get started or wants to contact IMBA directly about building freeride and stunt areas then feel free to step up and take on the task.  Information will gladly be afforded you just for the asking.
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »

I'd like to add on to what Garry stated if I may. Why was Gatorback closed for so long? Because the people that ride that type of trail typically don't show up to do trail maintenance! I'm not pointing fingers or trying to call anyone out here, just stating a fact. I'm guilty of it myself, not because I don't do trail work, but because in the past I have focused my efforts in other places. I figure I ride every weekend at Alafia, so from now on that is where I'm gonna spend my time. Personally a skill area isn't a big deal to me. I spend my time out riding the trails!

my other ride has 599 more hp.
PIRANHA
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:31 PM »

I sure know how to "stir the pot" don't I?

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »

I sure know how to "stir the pot" don't I?

Hey, no problem, it's an open forum discussion.  Sometimes the underlying facts aren't know as to why things are the way they are.  Being a volunteer based system there simply isn't enough people interested, or available in filling in to cover everything that needs to be done to make some of this stuff happen.  I hope that I was able to shed some light on that by my long winded response; and how to get changes added.  This year we expect to have all the new trails developed and ridden in at Boyette.  There may be some tweaking to them to make them require minimal if at all maintenance other than trimming.  That is the goal anyways, that way it even leaves time for the volunteers to ride as well.  Help out when you can, please.
northbkr1
Huffy Rider

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 11:53:38 PM »

Pirahna, you actually brought up a great question. We do have quite a few members 35 and under but we would Love to have a lot more. I honestly think most younger people don't join our club because they think we don't want them, We Do. I think we need younger blood to keep the club going and growing. I for one love technical trails, jumps, drops , log crossings and skinnies but the land managers we work with don't want us building  man made obstacles , especially if they are made out of wood. Like Garry said we don't have the time with everything we already do. Right now the best place for anything Freeride is at the BMX Track right up the road from Boyette. They want more people at the track and they know thats a way to get them there. I think all they need is riders/volunteers who know how to build it and someone to buy the materials. If anyone wants get this going, call the BMX Track or call the guys at AJ'S.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 09:16:17 AM »

I have to agree with Anthem1, I was the same , drag me in at night. Now we have to drag them out. My kids (9,11,13,14) are no different. They always seem to be on the cell phone, Video games, Ipod's, computer's or paralyzed in front of the tube! It truely is a different time than when we grew up. I try to keep them active as possible while still leaving them time for themselves. We are at the baseball field 5-6 days a week for games or practices and still find time to squeeze time for riding. They usually gripe but once they're going they're having fun and enjoying themselves. Back to the club demo thing, we do need some younger blood mixed in. They are the next generation of bikers. My kids love the Swamp rides and functions and the people for that matter also. I'm going to speak to my baseball team kids to see if I could bring a bunch over together for a ride, probably Alafia because of the facilities and trailhead location, and try to let them catch the bug. Maybe if we get some Swampers with kids to join in we could get something started. I'm thinking that a ride with them might be better first and then maybe a club ride later for those who are still interested. With that being said I think it's up to us to initate the younger ones and keep them involved in our sport.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
ECFoecking
First Bike

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »

As a rider in an age catagory a few  Grin years older than the 35 target, I kind of like keeping my bike on the ground.  I have found as I have gotten older I don't fall as gracefully, bounce as gracefully, get up as quickly and heal as quickly as I did when I was younger.  Not that I begrudge others their interests but having chronic aches and pain is not nearly as much fun as it sounds.  Smiley   Smiley

Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely
noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

Garry--where is this plate that I am supposed to step up to? Grin

I am over 40 but still like to jump way more than just riding. But I do like to XC sometimes too.
There are tons of people who love the freeride type stuff.

I crash everyday either on my bike or board--I am pretty good at it!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:15:28 AM by noble » Logged

Mike Cole
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: