Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: new bike...need opinions  (Read 1424 times)

Offline ROCKgardener

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • TEAM MUTANT
    • echo-lab studio (MYSPACE)
new bike...need opinions
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:59:50 AM »
i am 6 foot 6, 215 lbs...

i am looking for a good bike, i ride but i am not in need of a downhill bike...

i was checking out a gary fisher COBIA (29er)

any info would be appreciated....

thanks!
just ride the drop.....go fast...if anything gets in your way...TURN!

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
Re: new bike...need opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:02:48 AM »
I'm 6'5" and 215, and I ride a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo 21". This is my first "real" bike, but I am really happy with it. According to the research I did, Fisher's "Genesis" geometry include a longer top tube than most which helps give a bit more *pit length. I did have a hard time finding bikes to sit on and feel as most bike shops don't have a large selection of the big frames. I was lucky that I found a shop that had a 21" in a different model that used the same geometry as my bike. I would highly recommend that you go to different shops in the area and at least sit test some bikes. PM me if you'd like to try my bike - I'm out at Wilderness trails almost every day.
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »
I am 6 feet and 208lbs and also ride a Gary Fisher. It is a 19" (large) Piranha (genesis/gold series aluminum) and the geometry fits me perfect. Better than anything else I tried ( Trek, Specialized, Giant, Fuji, Cannondale, ect). I have long arms for my height so the longer top tube helps with that. A 21" (XL) genesis frame should fit you pretty good. I have never had any frame issues with mine as far as strength and durability goes, plus they have a lifetime warrantee anyway. I hear Fisher is real easy to deal with when it comes to warrantee issues, often times they will give you the next model up with a choice of color. The frames are made of internally/externally butted 6061 T6 aluminum and have well placed gussets and quality welds. I would recommend trying a 21" genesis frame out, the Cobia that you mentioned is a real nice bike. I don't know much about 29ers, but if anyone does it's Gary Fisher- he's been making them longer than anyone else. I think the combination of the "stretched out" geometry and the 29" wheels would probably ride real nice for a guy of your size. Good luck.

p.s. Get the Fisher, we need a few more in the club!!! ;D
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Benitez

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »
 ;) chumba xcl large ...
don quijote

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »
Get a 24" BMX and save tons of cash--catch more air--XCing on a BMX makes a man out of ya--rigid fork and hard tail make you smoother--certain people in Swamp will think you are dumb--kids in your neighborhood will think you are cool--the list of benefits goes on and on!!! :D
Mike Cole

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:21:13 PM »
Get a 24" BMX and save tons of cash--catch more air--XCing on a BMX makes a man out of ya--rigid fork and hard tail make you smoother--certain people in Swamp will think you are dumb--kids in your neighborhood will think you are cool--the list of benefits goes on and on!!! :D

I don't think your dumb. I like the hardtail thing, in fact so does my chiropractor. :) While spying on you, I noticed a lot of neighborhood kids hanging around. Was that Kool Aid that you were serving? ;)

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:16:37 AM »
Bet it was Grape flavored also if you know what I mean,LOL!!
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »
No Koolade for me--ever since the Jim Jones deal I steer clear. What a messed up dude--and people that followed him.

Mike Cole

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »
 ;) ;D

Advertisement: